A day Lighthouse Capturing

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
With big seas and high winds forecast I used a day's leave to chase the storms down in Northumberland. The seas were big but the reality never quite lived up to the forecast. At least I stayed dry and as well as the usual lighthous shots with waves crashing I managed a few different shots including a sandstorm on Bamburgh and a crazy surfer at Roker

Sunrise, and a sand storm sweeps along the beach at Bamburgh
Bamburgh Sand Storm by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

The shot I travelled for in the first place
Seaham by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

A traditional shot at Roker
Roker Pier by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Peek-a-boo

Cutting some shapes

Well done Simon this is a very good set, though I wouldn't call the surfer crazy, stupid yes. In my RNLI days we saved many people doing this.

Well done Simon this is a very good set, though I wouldn't call the surfer crazy, stupid yes. In my RNLI days we saved many people doing this.
You're quire right, bad choice of words. He looked incredibly comfortable out there but having been out on a Kayak when the sea turned I know what a dangerous place it can be. I did think to myself how would he get help if he lost his board or got a bang on the head. The waves were easily 10 foot and I can't imagine anyone would be able to swim in those without the bouyancy of the board.

You're quire right, bad choice of words. He looked incredibly comfortable out there but having been out on a Kayak when the sea turned I know what a dangerous place it can be. I did think to myself how would he get help if he lost his board or got a bang on the head. The waves were easily 10 foot and I can't imagine anyone would be able to swim in those without the bouyancy of the board.
Great photos. Being a surfer, theres no way I would be out in those conditions on my own. A 3 inch scar on the front of my thigh holds testament to that.

Love the sand movement in #1 and the perfect timing in #2 Simon, and I'm guessing you're well pleased with these shots.

Great photos. Being a surfer, theres no way I would be out in those conditions on my own. A 3 inch scar on the front of my thigh holds testament to that.

That was exactly what I said to my mate. I wasn't sure of the dangers as you see the surfers on TV in big waves. The thing I did say was that it would be much safer if he had a mate with him. It was freezing on the beach so even with a wet suit on I imagine it would have been very cold if he got in bother. Is it possible to swim in these waves without a board.

Love the sand movement in #1 and the perfect timing in #2 Simon, and I'm guessing you're well pleased with these shots.
I'm very pleased with them. Normally I come home buzzing and expecting to see a masterpiece when I open the image in Photoshop. Of course it usually ends up having lots of flaws and the moment is spoiled. Yesterday, I was fairly down beat as the conditions weren't what were forecast and I went out looking for moody and powerful. On the back of the camera I was pretty underwhelmed. So when I started doing a quick process I actually liked the images better than I thought I would. A nice change going from downbeat to up rather than buzzing to a wee bit down. Thanks for your kind words

Swimming in a winter wetsuit is restrictive and tiring. If he's out in those conditions he is an accomplished surfer and would be fit enough, and know the dangers of the riptides etc. No novice would even contemplate it.
However, a wipeout can easily throw the board on top of you and injure you, even fatally. Or , just getting a constant pummelling by wave after wave is extremely frightening. My accident happened in Mexico in warm waters and only in 4ft of water and I ended up in reconstructive surgery for 8 hours and lost 50% mobility in my leg for a year.

Swimming in a winter wetsuit is restrictive and tiring. If he's out in those conditions he is an accomplished surfer and would be fit enough, and know the dangers of the riptides etc. No novice would even contemplate it.
However, a wipeout can easily throw the board on top of you and injure you, even fatally. Or , just getting a constant pummelling by wave after wave is extremely frightening. My accident happened in Mexico in warm waters and only in 4ft of water and I ended up in reconstructive surgery for 8 hours and lost 50% mobility in my leg for a year.
He was taking a big chance then by the sounds of that. It looks an amazing sport but I'm getting a bit old and not fit enough to go out in any kind of sea on the kayak and that is with VHFs, drysuits, flares etc etc. Hope you are back to full fitness now.

A cracking set of images with 3 being my fave

The first with a small crop from the top (just above the dark cloud over the castle) and the fourth are very nice. Two is good but I’ve seen this composition from others so it loses some impact for me, nothing wrong with three and five but they’re a bit more postcard

Just to add the surfer isn’t obvious when viewing on a phone, when spotted it lifts it though...maybe one for LPOTY Living the View?

Number 2 is epic , timing is spot on , Great image

Could maybe do with a top crop

Last edited:
Just to add the surfer isn’t obvious when viewing on a phone, when spotted it lifts it though...maybe one for LPOTY Living the View?
Cheers, I've never entered any competitions apart from Camera Clubs and a website called Photo Crowd. Might look into it, thanks.

The planned shot is the best one. Very keen on two.
Cheers. It was nice to get one in the bag early and enjoy the rest of the day.

3rd is lovely, just clone the distracting lines in the sky on the left.
Just noticed them and can't believe I didn't spot them. Thinks its a gull and will be easy enough to remove. Thanks

Number 2 is epic , timing is spot on , Great image

Could maybe do with a top crop
In two minds as I tried both and wasn't sure either way. Cheers

Number 2 is excellent
Thanks

Last edited:
Back