A decade of dereliction- some of my favourites from exploring

Name
Nick / Sectionate
Edit My Images
No
I wrote a blog post for my website a few months back as it has been online a decade now and as part of this, I trawled through the mountain of photographs I have collected and picked out some from my favourite explores. You can read the blog post here: http://thetimechamber.co.uk/beta/blog/nostalgia-ten-years-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-fence if you fancy!

I have to admit, exploring is the reason why I continue to take photographs as a hobby. I have learnt the craft whilst hiding in decrepit buildings and thoroughly enjoying doing so; I progressed from a Fujifilm Finepix point and shot, a Fujifilm S5600, a Nikon D40, D7100 and finally a D750. Each time I have bought a new camera, I have thought i'd try my hand at another type of photography, but nothing quite matches up to feeling of creeping into a building before sunrise for a photograph. I do take some photos for hoots and chortles, but it isn't my mainstay! I want to continue to talk about the interplay of the light, the peeled paint, the emptiness and the dereliction and how it draws me back again and again; but I don't have the descriptive language skills to put what I want into words, so here are some photos:

I'll try not to post too many

Court
by Nick, on Flickr

Tonedale Mill
by Nick, on Flickr

Coloured Cotton
by Nick, on Flickr

Mundane views
by Nick, on Flickr

RAF Neatishead
by Nick, on Flickr

Pripyat Leisure Centre
by Nick, on Flickr

November010
by Nick, on Flickr

Severalls Hospital
by Nick, on Flickr

Quite entertaining set, thanks for the pleasure!

Excellent set, thanks for sharing.

How can I locate derelict or abandoned buildings?

A nice mix - enjoyed looking at them. The untitled shot - Morris Minor by any chance?

Nice. "Severalls Hospital" and "You Slab" are my favourites.

I keep meaning to go to Tonedale Mill, It's only a 10 minute walk from my house! It seems to have security there though at the moment.

very good collection i would say no4 seem out of place
well put together

Drive past and look to see if they're abandoned. Unless places are named - as they are here - then it's considered bad etiquette in the urbex community to ask for locations (for reasons that should also be obvious).

To the OP, fascinated to see Cane Hill - I grew up in a suburb of Croydon, and Cane Hill was infamous even among quite young children. Good & different take on Heyford, which is my 'local' urbex site. Many images here remind me of my childhood too, like the car in Untitled, and the caved in building with the tree trunk, and also really like DSC4620.

Thanks all, it was fun putting them together.

Thanks. I find them through driving, friends, google earth, paper articles and forums.

A nice mix - enjoyed looking at them. The untitled shot - Morris Minor by any chance?

Thank you. Yes, it is - good spot!

Nice. "Severalls Hospital" and "You Slab" are my favourites.

I keep meaning to go to Tonedale Mill, It's only a 10 minute walk from my house! It seems to have security there though at the moment.

Thank - Slab is a long time favourite of mine. They are refurbishing Tone Mill now, it was worth it for the engine house which I hope they keep.

very good collection i would say no4 seem out of place
well put together

It is? Out of interest, what makes you say that?

Drive past and look to see if they're abandoned. Unless places are named - as they are here - then it's considered bad etiquette in the urbex community to ask for locations (for reasons that should also be obvious).

To the OP, fascinated to see Cane Hill - I grew up in a suburb of Croydon, and Cane Hill was infamous even among quite young children. Good & different take on Heyford, which is my 'local' urbex site. Many images here remind me of my childhood too, like the car in Untitled, and the caved in building with the tree trunk, and also really like DSC4620.

Thank you, glad you liked them. Etiquette in the UE community is an oddity I don't fully understand lol. Cane Hill was a great explore, I must have gone a dozen times in a year. Heyford is great, we had the old caretaker hand us the keys and show us around. Lots of fun.

Love the first and third of your first set, #1 could be the 50's apart from the monitor etc in the corner and #3 the colours are so vibrant.

^^it is a Wolseley- there were some minors there too
I thought I could make out a "W" on the steering wheel centre.

^^Fair enough, it is very bland compare to some of the others. I was going through a ‘mundane’ phase lol
I think it looks out of place because it looks new and not derelict like all the others.

Some belting photos there, looks like we've been exploring for about the same period of time (although I'm not really active myself these days).

I might do a similar thread..........

Thank you - I am the same. I go through stages of exploring occasionally, to sacking it off and doing something else until the bug gets me again. I don't have the stamina, or interest, to go our every weekend.

I look forward to seeing yours

Back