A disadvantage of cloud based software?

To save anybody else having to click through 2 sites..... :D

TL;DR: That nice Mr Trump has recently made trade between the US and Venezuela illegal. So Adobe are cutting off CC subscriptions. Interestingly they also claim that refunds would be illegal. So yeah.

That is exactly my fears of the so-called cloud. You never know where the servers are based or whose laws they need to comply with. What happens to your data in the event of, say, a coup in a foreign country?

I would only ever use anything 'cloud based' if I had a full local backup of my data so I could easily 'jump ship' if they shut down the service

That is exactly my fears of the so-called cloud. You never know where the servers are based or whose laws they need to comply with. What happens to your data in the event of, say, a coup in a foreign country?

I assume it is not a question of where the servers based are based. I believe it is a matter of where the company is based.

This was a significant concern in Canada a few years ago. Most of the ISP companies that offer services in Canada (with Canadian branches) have servers that are based in the USA. Information on US-based servers is covered under the US Patriot Act. We even had confidential government information stored on US servers that could be accessed under that act. It didn't matter that the user did busness with a Canadian company. Now, many ISP's are offering servers located in different countries, partly to address these concerns. When you sign-up, you can select which country you would like your server to be located.

I assume it is not a question of where the servers based are based. I believe it is a matter of where the company is based.
I would think both could be relevant, and could be in conflict with a users location. Generally with most countries, big changes in dealings with tech and other countries don't come out of the blue, and changes in the EU could take years to put changes into practice, though from a tech pov, France can occasionally be a wildcard. ;) But the direction of the USA can seemingly change with a tweet. :rolleyes: You would think that servers are placed in politically stable countries around the world, and that would have included the USA not too long ago. :rolleyes: The whole world is becoming less stable atm though, and getting worse. :oops: :$

A few years ago I read an article about Adobe that because they are USA based, any legal dealings would have to done in the USA, and obviously acts as a deterrent for anyone outside the USA to take them to court for any reason. Another side possible side effect of a company's corporate location.

People shouldn't lose their data - they have a few weeks to download it (although a cynic would wonder why Adobe couldn't use that grace period to process refunds......).

But, yeah. Don't get on the wrong side of the Bullying Toddler. Literally unbelievably, this is a real tweet

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...

I'm not aware of any software that is stored "in the cloud."
In the case of Adobe, LR and PS are installed on your computer.
If you choose to store your images "in the cloud" then you are very foolish if you do not keep a local backup.

If you choose to store your images "in the cloud" then you are very foolish if you do not keep a local backup.
Plenty of software can only be run through a browser. A quick and small example is the Avery software for printing labels. They used to produce an application which installed on your local machine. Not now.

Plenty of software can only be run through a browser. A quick and small example is the Avery software for printing labels. They used to produce an application which installed on your local machine. Not now.
I use Apache "Open Office" which has a complete library of Avery labels (and other brands) built-in.
The same options are also available in "Libre Office."
Not only that, both programs are free to use.

I use Apache "Open Office" which has a complete library of Avery labels (and other brands) built-in.
The same options are also available in "Libre Office."
Not only that, both programs are free to use.
Never noticed that. And I use Open Office! Thanks for that. :)

I never have stored data in 'the cloud'. I like my data on my machines, not on someone elses.

Regular backups and multiple drives with one stored off site is all I've ever done (or will).

I cannot see the issue here unless you live in a country which severely offends the USA. Also the comments about cloud based software seem irrelevant. I have not only the Adobe Photoshop CC suite but also the Adobe Creative suite. All of the software and data is on my PC and backed up. The tone of some of the above comments seems anti-Adobe but it was not a decision by them but by the US government.

Dave

Also the comments about cloud based software seem irrelevant

Periodically when you start it up it connects to Adobe's servers to check for a license key (at least on the subscription version), it won't start without, no matter how many back-ups you have...

and therein lies my big issue - software as a service, meaning you are only renting the software and when you don't pay, or they don't want you, you're cut off. Yes you can store data locally for security, but if it's all formatted for the software you can no longer use, you are stuffed for migration unless you can obtain hacks to extract it. EG lightroom catalogue and photoshop specific format.
I've an even bigger problem with everything in UK govt being migrated to Azure and AWS cloud servers, even if the data centres are in the UK; Trump tells Bezos and Nadella to jump, they says how high and bingo, secure HMG data is inaccessible unless you pay increased licence charges.

I cannot see the issue here unless you live in a country which severely offends the USA. Also the comments about cloud based software seem irrelevant. I have not only the Adobe Photoshop CC suite but also the Adobe Creative suite. All of the software and data is on my PC and backed up. The tone of some of the above comments seems anti-Adobe but it was not a decision by them but by the US government.

Dave
I have no issue with Adobe - I'm one of its biggest fans. My issue is with the integrity of offsite (so-called Cloud) data storage when you don't know where it is being kept or how viable the company is. More of a risk with the smaller organisations than Apple, Microsoft, Adobe etc.
Also not everyone has full-time guaranteed fast access to the internet. Phone lines can and do go down. Last time I had a major failure (near Edinburgh) it was one full month before the line was reinstated. How would I then have been able to access my data had I stored it on someone else's server farm? And no, there was no mobile signal either.

I cannot see the issue here unless you live in a country which severely offends the USA.
The thing with America at the moment is you don't need to 'offend' them, the one in charge can just make a decision on a whim that can have many unforeseen consequences, because like I said, it was done on a whim, and suddenly major changes can happen around the world.

And what can you as an individual do to have any influence of your country 'offending' America? Nothing. And don't think anyone in the UK is safe from such things. It is a very changeable world with a lot of unexpected things happening between countries atm.

Why is the recent Adobe cc software any different. I have older versions installed on other computers and these need to be activated or de-Activated on-line. If you are not on-line and your S/W is activated, I do not see how Adobe or anyone else can readily de-activate. I do not rely on data stored in a cloud but that is a separate issue. I am sure other software is similar. For example Microsoft also expect me to log into Office 365 from time to time and also check that I am OK for their Windows updates. I am certainly not planning to stop using Adobe and Microsoft S/W on the very slim chance that the US might cut me off (I think their industry would have something to say about this). Even if it did happen, I would be able to revert to earlier versions etc. or buy something else.

Dave

Why is the recent Adobe cc software any different. I have older versions installed on other computers and these need to be activated or de-Activated on-line. If you are not on-line and your S/W is activated, I do not see how Adobe or anyone else can readily de-activate.
The software has a built-in default - if you do not connect to the validation server each month, the software is automatically deactivated. It does not require contactwith the server to be de-activated.
I do not rely on data stored in a cloud but that is a separate issue. I am sure other software is similar. For example Microsoft also expect me to log into Office 365 from time to time and also check that I am OK for their Windows updates. I am certainly not planning to stop using Adobe and Microsoft S/W on the very slim chance that the US might cut me off (I think their industry would have something to say about this). Even if it did happen, I would be able to revert to earlier versions etc. or buy something else.
The main cloud-based software that concerns me are products that do not download to your personal computer but run on the server only. An example would be some of the Office/365 web-based products. I have no major issues with Adobe and Microsoft although I would like to have an option to buy a perpetual license.

You are correct that Adobe software like Lightroom and Photoshop are installed on our own hard drives, therefore are on our own computers, but it is a case of where did they come from in the first place. They came from "in the cloud" thus we would download them to install on our hard drives, surely as if the software were on a CD-ROM, in a box, sitting on a shelf "in the shop", before ending up being installed in our computers.

The software has a built-in default - if you do not connect to the validation server each month, the software is automatically deactivated. It does not require contactwith the server to be de-activated.

Exactly. As I mentioned in another thread this very nearly caught me out recently whilst on a client site.

Adobe could very easily have set all their software to expire on the 28th. After that, there's no legal or easy way to bring it back to life.

Wow!

I did show where the can of worms was......and what look happens when opened & examined.

FWIW in regard to Adobe products I still have PS6 and LR 6.12 and have avoided subscription based software with its now revealed "issue" that could affect international (non USA) customers, should a country be deemed an 'enemy' of the US such that US companies cannot trade with them! In normal product sales that would leave those customers with an unsupported and non updatable product, though still fully functional. However, the 'subscription business model' and it's cessation of activation effectively denies those customers of any consumer rights.......and it seems in the case of the CC version of LR it also stops their access to the Cloud stored data.

NB I have stayed with LR for its DAM function.......I now use DxO PL2 as my primary editing program, together with Topaz Gigapixel and Sharpen AI. Though I have ACDsee standard to be used as my DAM, once I have settled any last vestiges of my usage of LR :)

the_cloud.png

https://xkcd.com/908/

I only use dropbox for a quick method of sharing files between my devices, as for the clouds, they rain and mostly cover the UK when I want to shoot in sunlight!

and therein lies my big issue - software as a service, meaning you are only renting the software and when you don't pay, or they don't want you, you're cut off. Yes you can store data locally for security, but if it's all formatted for the software you can no longer use, you are stuffed for migration unless you can obtain hacks to extract it. EG lightroom catalogue and photoshop specific format.
I've an even bigger problem with everything in UK govt being migrated to Azure and AWS cloud servers, even if the data centres are in the UK; Trump tells Bezos and Nadella to jump, they says how high and bingo, secure HMG data is inaccessible unless you pay increased licence charges.

Thankfully with Lightroom the library module works without a licence, you can still export both catalogs and images.

Thankfully with Lightroom the library module works without a licence, you can still export both catalogs and images.

I am under the impression that LR CC stores the user photographs in the Adobe cloud storage and the full sized files are not stored on the local hard drive (by default.....so is there an option to also store locally in the CC version?). It is LR Classic CC that behaves like the original perpetual license version..... storing files on the local hard drive.

Last edited:
I am under the impression that LR CC stores the user photographs in the Adobe cloud storage and the file sized files are not stored on the local hard drive (by default.....so is there an option to also store locally in the CC version?)

Not sure tbh, I rarely use it, only to cull remotely.

I should have clarified, I was referring to the classic version. When unauthorised LR classic just disables all of the modules other than library and export.

Not sure tbh, I rarely use it, only to cull remotely.

I should have clarified, I was referring to the classic version. When unauthorised LR classic just disables all of the modules other than library and export.
Oops! Just edited mine without refreshing to add ref to Classic.

Yes but in this case the licence part of it requires the 'cloud'.

So many people have a misunderstanding of what is meant by 'cloud' though, I agree. I think Adobe has caused a lot of that.

Back