A dozen FZ200 invertebrates using an adjusted processing workflow

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
These images were captured in 2015 and 2016 with an FZ200 small sensor bridge camera and a Raynox 150 close-up lens and diffused flash. I have probably posted some of them before, but they look different now. The story behind this exercise is in this post in my Journey thread.

There are 1300 pixel high versions in this album at Flickr.

1628 01 P1090588_PLab3 DCP SP9-Edit LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1628 02 P1130491_PLab3 DCP SP9-Edit LR 1300h

1628 03 P1240694_PLab3 DCP SP9-Edit LR 1300h

1628 04 P1240887_PLab3 DCP SP9-Edit LR 1300h

1628 05 P1280922_PLab3 DCP SP9-Edit LR 1300h

1628 06 P1710051_PLab3 DCP-1 SP9-Edit LR 1300h

Continued in next post

Stunning set Nick
#6 with the male on the back of the female Misumena vatia crab spider is amazing I am jealous I have never seen one those spiders

Stunning, constantly amazed at the level of detail you achieve

Thanks James. I use very small apertures (minimum aperture in fact for all these, equivalent to f/45 full frame). This maximises the depth of field (which roughly doubles for every two stops decrease in aperture). The price I pay is loss of fine detail because of the blurring effect of diffraction (the smaller the aperture, the greater the diffraction blurring). However, I restrict the size of my outputs to 1300 pixels high and at that size some of the detail that is lost couldn't have been seen anyway, so the loss of fine detail is not so obvious as it would be if you could compare uncropped versions at 100%.

Here is an example. in this case captured with a micro four thirds camera and shown at 1024 pixels wide to fit in with the forum size guidelines. In the f/5.6 version the relatively small area that is in focus is sharper than anything in the f/22 version, but there is a lot more in (not so good) focus in the f/22 version. Opinions differ as to which approach looks better, or whether something in between would be best.

0711-01-Panasonic-G3-+-45-200-at-200mm-+-Raynox-250,-F5.6-flipF22

Stunning set Nick
#6 with the male on the back of the female Misumena vatia crab spider is amazing I am jealous I have never seen one those spiders
I have not seen them often but you can find them if you sweep plants. Alternatively look at apple blossom - if you have apple trees.

They are really nice, I wouldn't mind a) seeing the original and b)what you can do with other people's photos.
BTW your crab spider is better than the John (I can't remember his surname) one at Dpreview forums.

They are really nice,

Thanks David.

I wouldn't mind a) seeing the original

OK, The raw files for these 12 images are here at Dropbox. I have put full size JPEGs in a subfolder. I created these by loading the raw files into Lightroom and exporting as JPEG with no adjustments.

and b)what you can do with other people's photos.

If you (or anyone else) would like to upload to this folder at Dropbox I'll have a go. Maybe send me a message to let me know. (Raw would be best, but I'll have a go with out of the camera JPEGs if necessary.)

BTW your crab spider is better than the John (I can't remember his surname) one at Dpreview forums.

That would go down well with himself! (Koerner).

They are not found as far North as Cumbria
Thanks for that, I thought that they were everywhere. Do you have different crab spiders there?
Saying that Cumbria is wonderful - I would love to investigate what insects are in the lakes there.
Thanks David.

OK, The raw files for these 12 images are here at Dropbox. I have put full size JPEGs in a subfolder. I created these by loading the raw files into Lightroom and exporting as JPEG with no adjustments.

If you (or anyone else) would like to upload to this folder at Dropbox I'll have a go. Maybe send me a message to let me know. (Raw would be best, but I'll have a go with out of the camera JPEGs if necessary.)

That would go down well with himself! (Koerner).
Thanks I might send a few files (sadly at the moment 20-30 minutes activity is my maximum), yours are really improved so much. I might have to copy your workflow. Do you do put the same amount of effort into birds?

Thanks for that, I thought that they were everywhere. Do you have different crab spiders there?
Saying that Cumbria is wonderful - I would love to investigate what insects are in the lakes there.

We have have much less variety of invertebrates than the southern half of the UK I have found this out looking others photos and wondering why I do not find the same things then looking them up to find we do get whatever I have seen this far North

Here is an example
http://srs.britishspiders.org.uk/portal.php/p/Crab+spider+Misumena+vatia

Thanks I might send a few files (sadly at the moment 20-30 minutes activity is my maximum),

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

yours are really improved so much. I might have to copy your workflow. Do you do put the same amount of effort into birds?

No. Apart from occasional visits to the local boating lake to photograph mainly gulls flying around, I don't photograph birds.

Back