A few ant shots!

Thanks for the CC I have tried a few techniques to improve this but I really did find it hard shooting these, I was lied on the floor, off camera flash with softbox sat next to the ants to give the directionality but up close they just seem soft.. I put it down to hand shake, this was shot at f40 I believe to increase DOF and a 1/200th shutter (my sync speed) but really don't know how to take that next step..

They are not (very) bad Andy but they lack sharpness you are working well to capture them in focus

All my shots are handheld with flash have a look here

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/

and here

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

Thanks for the CC I have tried a few techniques to improve this but I really did find it hard shooting these, I was lied on the floor, off camera flash with softbox sat next to the ants to give the directionality but up close they just seem soft.. I put it down to hand shake, this was shot at f40 I believe to increase DOF and a 1/200th shutter (my sync speed) but really don't know how to take that next step..

Using flash the effective shutter speed is the length of the flash pulse, which is quite short. Hand-shake is unlikely to be an issue. (btw the Exif data says that the flash did not fire for some reason.)

f/40 is a very small aperture which will lose a lot of sharpness from diffraction. Also, the effective aperture decreases as the magnification increases. However, I believe Nikon cameras take account of this so f/40 may be the effective aperture rather than something smaller, as would be the case with different camera brands. This is assuming that the Sigma plays nicely with the Nikon. But presumably the Sigma 105 minimum aperture is f/22 - it is on mine, so with f/40 showing as the aperture this presumably must be the effective aperture. You would have been at almost 1:1 to get this effective aperture.

The illumination looks rather harsh. You might want to work on the diffusion.

Post processing may make a difference. Here are reworks. That is of course working from the posted, already processed versions. It might be possible to do better from the originals. Are you shooting raw?

NOT MY IMAGE - Andrew Gray - Ant 3 reworked 1200h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

NOT MY IMAGE - Andrew Gray - Ant 2 reworked 1200h

NOT MY IMAGE - Andrew Gray - Ant 1 reworked 1200h

Using flash the effective shutter speed is the length of the flash pulse, which is quite short. Hand-shake is unlikely to be an issue. (btw the Exif data says that the flash did not fire for some reason.)

f/40 is a very small aperture which will lose a lot of sharpness from diffraction. Also, the effective aperture decreases as the magnification increases. However, I believe Nikon cameras take account of this so f/40 may be the effective aperture rather than something smaller, as would be the case with different camera brands. This is assuming that the Sigma plays nicely with the Nikon. But presumably the Sigma 105 minimum aperture is f/22 - it is on mine, so with f/40 showing as the aperture this presumably must be the effective aperture. You would have been at almost 1:1 to get this effective aperture.

The illumination looks rather harsh. You might want to work on the diffusion.

Post processing may make a difference. Here are reworks. That is of course working from the posted, already processed versions. It might be possible to do better from the originals. Are you shooting raw?
Thanks for the comment and thanks for your work on the re-works.

I shot these images in RAW originally... The flash is a manual flash using a hotshoe transmitter (the d3300 doesn't have commander mode) so it shows that the flash didn't fire, but it does force flash in manual when the hotshoe is occupied.

I'll try again tomorrow with some different settings, this was F40 shot with full power flash real close to the subject... hence the harsh light you have mentioned.

I'll try and drop the Fstop down to f22 and take that light either further away to bring a softer light, or knock down the power on the flash to see if this helps. I do think the lens allows a f5.6 at 1:1 magnification, as you can imagine the focal plain on this is so miniscule for an ant is unusable without focus stacking.

Can i ask what changes you made to the image in post? It seems to have been sharpened using the detail tab, an increase of clarity, a touch of vibrance/saturation and exposure changes?

Thanks for the comment and thanks for your work on the re-works.

I shot these images in RAW originally... The flash is a manual flash using a hotshoe transmitter (the d3300 doesn't have commander mode) so it shows that the flash didn't fire, but it does force flash in manual when the hotshoe is occupied.

Ah, understood. Thanks.

I'll try again tomorrow with some different settings, this was F40 shot with full power flash real close to the subject... hence the harsh light you have mentioned.

I'll try and drop the Fstop down to f22 and take that light either further away to bring a softer light, or knock down the power on the flash to see if this helps. I do think the lens allows a f5.6 at 1:1 magnification, as you can imagine the focal plain on this is so miniscule for an ant is unusable without focus stacking.

Yes, that would be a nominal (not adjusted for magnification) f/2.8 (that is what you would see on other cameras such as my Canon 70D) to give an effective f/5.6 at 1:1 (which is what your D3300 is telling you). As you may know,

Effective f-number = Nominal f-number * ( 1 + magnification), approximately

The small aperture need not be a problem. I generally use the smallest aperture I have available for invertebrates, and with my setups that is generally equivalent to around f/30 on your setup. Most people won't use apertures that small because of the loss of fine detail from diffraction. I prefer the wider depth of field from small apertures and am willing to put up with the loss of detail. I believe post processing takes on greater significance with small apertures so as to recover from, or mask, at least some of the effects of diffraction. Here is a somewhat similar ant photo captured at around f/30 equivalent for your D3300.

P1260420_PLab SP7 LR 1024w

As it happens it was captured with a 12 mpix small sensor bridge camera, which is my most used setup for invertebrates. However, in my experience there is no particular advantage or disadvantage to using a small or a large sensor when using very small apertures - because of the diffraction the images from different sensor sizes all look much the same.

I just reprocessed that one from raw to use it here, and the processing involved first DXO PhotoLab, then Silkypix, then Lightroom, each one used for aspects of the processing that I think they are particularly good at. This screenshot shows the Lightroom settings in the final stage of the processing and the crop I used. One of the things you can do to increase depth of field is to use less magnification and crop. The result will be reduced detail and extra noise, but you may still be able to get an acceptable result. I think that, for me at least, part of the craft of close-up/macro is to know how far you can push in various directions, to what effect, and what the trade-offs are, so as to get the best result for a particular purpose (e.g. for viewing on screen at a particular size).

GA Lightroom Crop and settings for GA ant

Can i ask what changes you made to the image in post? It seems to have been sharpened using the detail tab, an increase of clarity, a touch of vibrance/saturation and exposure changes?

I used PhotoLab on it first. Then Lightroom. I would have used Silkypix in between, but Silkypix didn't like the TIFF file that PhotoLab produced from the original JPEG. Here are the settings I used for PhotoLab. I don't understand why it applied so much noise reduction. I used one of my PhotoLab presets and it doesn't do that with my JPEGs. If I had noticed that at the time I would have turned the noise reduction down or, more likely, off.

GA PhotoLab settings for Andrew Gray ants

and the settings for Lightroom.

GA Lightroom settings for Andrew Gray ants

One thing that doesn't show up here is that I used graduated filters to try to offset the unbalanced illumination from the flash. Here is one of them.

GA Lightroom graduated filter for Andrew Gray ant

My images often start out quite dark because I try to expose so as to protect highlights. You can always do something to brighten up shadows (you might have to deal with some noise), but unless you get into cloning, which in my hands at least often doesn't produce a credible result for invertebrates, if an area is blown (in the raw file) there is nothing you can do to recover it.

Last edited:
I've made a few changes, still struggling with that flash though, i do think i need to make a diffuser or some sort! This is shot at F22 which seems to be much sharper on the eyes and retained more detail.

DSC_8449.jpg by Andrew Gray, on Flickr

I've made a few changes, still struggling with that flash though, i do think i need to make a diffuser or some sort! This is shot at F22 which seems to be much sharper on the eyes and retained more detail.

Definitely looks that way to me. I can see nice detail in the eye. Focus spot on.

You are not using any diffuser at all? Definitely something to work on I think.

I'm literally using an off camera flash with a 6 inch softbox on it... I've tried the pringle can ones before with my extension tubes.. I want to find a DIY rig which is small and fairly portable. I've tried all sorts but nothing really suitable as of yet!

I'm literally using an off camera flash with a 6 inch softbox on it... I've tried the pringle can ones before with my extension tubes.. I want to find a DIY rig which is small and fairly portable. I've tried all sorts but nothing really suitable as of yet!
I really wish that so many people wanted to do macro photography that there were cheap and good off the shelf solutions for flash.

If you have a flash, you can make your own diffuser....Google Pringle can flash diffuser....I made one and it's great

I use flash to illuminate insects all the time -using a wireless trigger and the flash mounted on a bracket at 45 degrees to the lens and angled down - this ant was on the move when I shot him

Les :)

here's one as an example Sigma 105mm f2.8 @ f8 + 1.4x teleconverter

wood ant 27 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back