A few birds

JDP

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,
So it's been a while. I put the camera down a few years ago as I wasn't seeing my photography develop since I started in 2006 - I did occasionally take out the camera and sit in bird hides and get a few simple pictures, but as of late I wasn't overly impressed with myself. So I challenged myself - I rented out a Canon EF400mm L prime and got in contact with a guy in Sussex who owns a woodland and specalises in bird photography, so booked myself in for a session at his hides and I was able to prove to myself that it genuinely is a limitation of equipment which prevents me to take the type of photos I want, so now I know this, and with a better job (teaching sucked!) I am saving to get the needed focal length.

Anyways, enough of that here are a few photos I was able to get - unfortunetly they're super noisy because I had to use super high ISO for a fast enough shutter as the weather was not playing ball, out of all the shots I got these are my favourite, I would love to know your opinions - and where to go to better these photos (other than the noise issues).

Thanks guys.

(please don't judge the file names - I wasn't aware thats how faststone re-named the files. Everyday is a school day! )

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I quite like rusty metal tap and chain images , it`s something a bit different , but for me the woodpecker looks a bit out of place . It`s very hard to get something different these days . Noise does not look to bad to me . Which Prime did you rent ? And what camera body and settings did you use ?

I like the photos , Suspect the tap is pre loaded with tasty morsels
If you are going down the lens route try hiring a 150 - 600 zoom Sigma or Tamron and save yourself £1000s

I quite like rusty metal tap and chain images , it`s something a bit different , but for me the woodpecker looks a bit out of place . It`s very hard to get something different these days . Noise does not look to bad to me . Which Prime did you rent ? And what camera body and settings did you use ?

Thank you, yeah I was having a look at those at the hides thinking how I was able to make it a little different to others. I understand that, It does look out of place, but I do like it. Thanks, it was hard trying to get an un-noisy picture - but I am the worse for pixel hunting! And I rented out the Canon EF 400mm L f/5.6 - I couldn't quite afford the 100-400 mkII - perhaps next time!

Setting wise was manual, but for the woodpecker:

Canon EOS 80D, 1/400, f/5.6, 400mm, ISO 2500

I like the photos , Suspect the tap is pre loaded with tasty morsels
If you are going down the lens route try hiring a 150 - 600 zoom Sigma or Tamron and save yourself £1000s

Thank you, you're absolutely right. I rented a bunch of hides out spent all day there and the woodland the hides were at have massive bird feeding stations, and dedicated scenes for photography. It was awesome. and will have a look at them, to be fair I have always had either a sigma or tamron and I quite like the Canon lenses, but for a hobbiest, those professional lenses, you need to sell about 5 kidneys before it's affordable and justafiable! haha. But i will look into renting them next time! Lens for hire is awesome.

First of all well done you for not giving up.
I like the pics generally but my only observation on the Great Tit and Woodpecker is that they are a little too tightly cropped for my personal preference and you lose something in the overall composition. Only my preference, everyone will have an opinion and preference but if you love them then that's all that matters.

Kit
I have the Canon Canon 24 -105 for general work and the Canon 100 - 400 MK II which was worth the investment for the quality. I saved a load of cash by buying a non UK model and it's almost permanently attached to the camera which is a 7D MKII

I also have the 150 - 600 Sigma which, is a super lens at less than half the cost of the Canon. I have taken some super shots with it (before buying the 100 -400_ but it's a little heavier and a bit more cumbersome and I don't use it as much these days unless I go to a hide.

For my style of photography I generally walk miles through the Peak District which, is literally out of my front door so lighter is better for me and the Canon sits nicely on my hip via a Black Rapid strap across the shoulder and body so no neck ache.

Where to go.
Paid hides will get you to the subjects and if all you want are photographs which, is fine, then if that suits you there are loads advertised.
For me its all about finding it for myself and watching wildlife; discovery of it, honing my field craft and enjoying the moment and I always try and get a shot but often come away with no image other than a memory. Yes its a slower process and I spend hours looking, re-visiting and gathering information which, makes the eventual sighting, for me very rewarding especially if I get a nice pic and a lot of the time I have been able to get so close my Canon 24 -105 has been more than enough so its not always about the longest lens.

Joining the RSPB is another good way forwards as they have some fantastic reserves and hides together with a guide book of places across the UK and a magazine that gives you ideas and news of wildlife.

Hope this has been of some use James, all the best
Zaf

Back