A few BMX photos from the weekend

I could suggest a few improvements, get in a bit closer, either by changing your position or using a longer lens, so the bike and rider fill the frame a bit more.
While you're changing your position, think more about the background at the point of firing off the shot. For instance, in the top one, if you were a little further to the left then you might be able to isolate the rider with just the trees in the back ground, rather than half trees and half sky, and without the leaves growing out his back! :)
Getting in a little closer AND using a longer lens might also give you the opportunity of blurring out the background by utilising depth of field, which would create a focus even more on the rider.
Keep trying, keep practicing, and try and be critical of your shots (it's difficult).
Oh, one more suggestion, try and get the rider's face in the shots, show the concentration involved.

Last edited:
I've only tried taking photos at a skatepark once so hopefully someone with more experience will offer you more advice. I'd largerly counter previous advice, whilst isolating subject works for portraits with skating, bmx and similar you generally want to show the whole scene and particularly what the trick is being preformed off of.

These 2 shots I think are suffering from not being very sharp. If it was me I'd get closer, but shoot with a wider focal length at a smaller apperture to keep the rider and bike sharp. I'd agree with decluttering the background either try to find an angle with clear sky behind them or else consider adding ocf, a bare flash on a stand is easily cloned out and will help pop the rider off the background. Getting low can be good too as it exagerates the appearance of the height they're jumping with a wide lens and can make it easier to get clearer backgrounds. In both shots the riders are also looking well away from the camera so either timing or positioning differently could help that.

If they're friends and you are there messing about I'd be more deliberate, choose a trick they can do and replicate and watch it a few times to see where they're looking what angle gives best background. Once you know where it's going to be th get the best shoot start taking photos then.

That said they're cool shots and the guys you're photographing look pretty awesome so it'd be worth spending some time with them to get something amazing.

Back