A few catch-up images.

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
I have recently done the Dukeries Rally at Donington Park and two days of Wales Rally GB. It was supposed to be 4 days of the WRC but my wallet and I became separated on a stage so I had to head home. Bugger. Soon however we shall be re-united so no-harm, little foul.

Starting off with the Dukeries.

1) Hillman Avenger in the paddock area of the stage.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-11954
by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

2) Cars going the wrong way around Old Hairpin. Never something to put a circuit racing tog at ease.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-12459

3) Sierra's were never my thing but this one impressed a lot.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-12901

4) This is more like it for me. Not satisfied with the Super1600 Swift, the team have upgraded the JWRC winning car to a 2.0 engine. Its not slow at all.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-24527

5) The final stage of the day, SS8 was cancelled due to delays earlier and the impending curfew. Here's a Darrian.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-13030

6) The Dukeries is pretty much a run what you brung type event. Here is an almost standard looking Civic Type-R from when I was still in school.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-13127

7) One of two cheeky little chappies, the 500 Abarth was quite the performer on the stages.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-13227

8) The last shot before I called it a day. Part of the mix of national rallys, a Triumph 2500.

DukeriesRally_DoningtonPark-13342

The Wales Rally GB didn't go particularly smoothly for me. A 1.5hr run to SS3 turned into a 3.5hr horror of closed roads and stubborn Lamb Chops meaning I couldn't get to the part of the stage I was aiming for. SS7 was a joke, the car park attendants just sent me out of the venue again and on SS8 someone took a chance on my wallet, and someone had a bit of a medical emergency so the stage was delayed by almost an hour and the last 20 or so cars were just a mess of lamp pods. They didnt get my wallet but they did leave it hanging out of the pocket it was in so it could fall out on the way back to the car. Throw in fog on SS3 and the darkness on SS8 and it was a smorgasbord of stratospheric ISO and grainy photos. Here's the best I could do:

9) Craig Breen returns to service from the Shakedown.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-13379

10) Our champions at the Ceremonial Start in Colwyn Bay.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-14530

11) Eric Camilli's M-Sport Fiesta on SS3 - Sweet Lamb 1.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-15431

12) Playing with selective colour. I am quite fond of the Fabia too, any car with a centre exit exhaust is automatically cool in my opinion, except for the MINI.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-15484

13) Ogier giving it lots of Large out of the Hairpin halfway through Dyfnant, SS8.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-15992

14) Hyundai were also giving it a bit of oompf, here's Thierry Neuville at the same corner.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-16017

15) And Ott Tanak...

WRC_WalesRallyGB-16083

16) And finally Jan Kopecky's Skoda, one of the last decent photos before it all became a bit too dark.

WRC_WalesRallyGB-24869

I like every one of them, makes a change to see rally pics up close and as vibrant as these ,the avenger I especially liked as the last rally I drove in was in one of these as the course car.

Thanks @derekG - That avenger really was something quite special.

Thatnks @Barney1. you are very kind.

@mark4183 : You make a fair point. In my defence for the Wales Rally GB set though, conditions forced f2.8 or wider and I don't have anything very short in that range so I was kinda stuck with head on or long range shots which don't often show a lot of speed. Its something I'm looking to work on though, both the kit list and the creativity.

Thanks Gaza, I thought initally that my sensor was in a terrible state, then i realised it was the bloody birds with that one. So having spot-repaired 'em all out, it put the winged buggers back in.

Back