A few days in Barcelona..?

Edit My Images
Yes
We are going to Barcelona for a few days.
Obviously we will be going to the sagrada familia, but where else would be on your list - Park guell?
Also, for anyone who has been recently an you recommend any good tapas bar and cheap restaurants.
We lived in the South of Spain many years ago, and would rather eat Spanish food with Spanish people than tourist places, and will be staying close to the Placa de Catalunia.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Casa Batlló is worth seeing. Don’t eat or drink anywhere near Las Ramblas. Referring to the locals as Spanish is not advisable.

Casa Batlló is worth seeing. Don’t eat or drink anywhere near Las Ramblas. Referring to the locals as Spanish is not advisable.
Thanks - yup, a bit of a slip mentioning Spanish...
I'd assume that eating with locals will be out away from the centre, and we don't need menus in English - I used to love places where there was no menu but guess that may be a thing of the past in a city.
Casa Batllo looks good - thanks for that!

I hope you’re not going this week. Following yesterday’s judgement against the Catalan leaders there were riots in the streets and people were trapped in El Prat airport due to the protests.

I hope you’re not going this week. Following yesterday’s judgement against the Catalan leaders there were riots in the streets and people were trapped in El Prat airport due to the protests.
We are meant to be going next Monday, so will be keeping an eye on the news - not perfect timing is it....!

Park Guell is worth a visit. We were there a few years ago, took our son to do the tour of Camp Nou as a gcse reward.
The football stadium is good to if you're interested in that.

We are meant to be going next Monday, so will be keeping an eye on the news - not perfect timing is it....!

I’m just chatting to one of my Spanish friends. She’s watching the live tv coverage. According to her:

La gente está haciendo barbaridades contra la policía en la calle

I really hope the situation normalises in time for your trip.

Park Guell is worth a visit. We were there a few years ago, took our son to do the tour of Camp Nou as a gcse reward.
The football stadium is good to if you're interested in that.
OK, thanks - not into football, but Park Guell will be added to the list. That is if we get there....

I’m just chatting to one of my Spanish friends. She’s watching the live tv coverage. According to her:

La gente está haciendo barbaridades contra la policía en la calle

I really hope the situation normalises in time for your trip.

Hmm. Thanks to you and your friend. It's not looking good is it.
Should you hear any further news I'd be very grateful to hear.
This was going to be a trip to escape some rather serious family stuff that's happening, but I'm not sure we should go unless things seem to clear up..

OK, thanks - not into football, but Park Guell will be added to the list. That is if we get there....

Hmm. Thanks to you and your friend. It's not looking good is it.
Should you hear any further news I'd be very grateful to hear.
This was going to be a trip to escape some rather serious family stuff that's happening, but I'm not sure we should go unless things seem to clear up..

From El País today.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/10/15/album/1571152266_965287.html

For those that don’t speak Spanish, it says that the radicals are burning cars and throwing stones and acid at the police.

For those that don’t speak Spanish, it says that the radicals are burning cars and throwing stones and acid at the police.
I read a bit yesterday and from what I saw people are saying that the protests are pretty peaceful until the police get involved...
My Spanish is way to rusty to understand all I read in El Pais, but I appreciate you posting all you have - thanks..

People should also know that the newspaper El Pais is Spanish, based in Madrid and owned by PRISA. They are acutely anti Catalan independence and very pro the Spanish government. Not saying they are lying about the protests this past few nights but what they print and the way they slant their stories is intended to put the worst light on anything to do with Catalan independence supporters.

Last edited:
People should also know that the newspaper El Pais is Spanish, based in Madrid and owned by PRISA. They are acutely anti Catalan independence and very pro the Spanish government. Not saying they are lying about the protests this past few nights but what they print and the way they slant their stories is intended to put the worst light on anything to do with Catalan independence supporters.

I was reading El País, El País and ABC (ie the principal Spanish National dailies), it just so happened that the one I screenshot was El País.
All of their websites have been featuring live video coverage, and I can only assume that it would look the same whoever owned the camera.

Back