A few days in Somerset

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
We spent a few days up on the Somerset Levels again this week, seem we picked the wrong few days weather wise as was very dull most of the time and when leaving yesterday the sun was shining and heard its a record temperature for the 1st November ? anyway we had a great few days there and although the photo side was not great we walked loads and watched the starling spectacular which was a first for us and John Crispin is such a great host on RSPB Ham Wall with his knowledge and friendliness, he told us on our first night we seen the tens of thousands of starlings performing and coming into roost that we needed to get up early and see what he called the morning explosion and boy he was right ! anyone not been to see them really need to, we will be going back through the winter as it was just something the TV does not do justice it was amazing ! anyway here are a few pics from the few days there shame I didn't get any real photos of the starlings in the sky it was just too dull but here are some pics I did take when there.

First up a coupe of Swans that seemed to be courting ?
Swan Love by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

A Swan that was guarding the path around Loxtons - RSPB Ham Wall
Swan Guard by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

A small cross section of the Starlings - it was this thick as they flew through for what seemed like over 10 minutes
Somerset Levels Starlings by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

A Heron and its reflection
Heron Reflection by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

A bonus Barn Owl that came through while watching the starlings
Ham Wall Barn Owl by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Glastonbury Tor on the first morning we had a bit of blue sky
Glastonbury Tor by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

This one made me chuckle I know they are only drying their wings but it looked like it was protecting the ducks
Cormorant Protection by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

A Squirrel feeding along the path
Somerset Levels Squirel by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

Really nice set - particularly like the pair of swans, the starlings and owl and Glastonbury Tor. Oh and the cormorant :) Great variety. Great shots!

You got some great shots and it looks as though you saw plenty while you were there! The starlings look amazing - I'd love to experience that sometime. The squirrel and barn owl are my favourite shots I think - the autumn colours complement the squirrel so well and it's a great action shot of the owl. I like the space around them too, but is there room for a slight crop? The swans are lovely, too but I wonder if the highlights in the swan on the right could be brought down a little to bring back some detail? The timing of the cormorant shot is brilliant! Thanks - I enjoyed these :)

Looks like you had a great time Adam, love the protective Cormorant :D

Really nice set - particularly like the pair of swans, the starlings and owl and Glastonbury Tor. Oh and the cormorant :) Great variety. Great shots!
Thanks John I was disappointed from a photo point of view but my standards have risen so far after ring on here seeing the other great photos I delete most now :( but the walking around watching was great oh and forgot to say bought some new Nikon monarch binoculars from lakeside optics so another plus :)

You got some great shots and it looks as though you saw plenty while you were there! The starlings look amazing - I'd love to experience that sometime. The squirrel and barn owl are my favourite shots I think - the autumn colours complement the squirrel so well and it's a great action shot of the owl. I like the space around them too, but is there room for a slight crop? The swans are lovely, too but I wonder if the highlights in the swan on the right could be brought down a little to bring back some detail? The timing of the cormorant shot is brilliant! Thanks - I enjoyed these :)
Thanks Emma I did make sure there was no clipping in light room but see what you mean looking at it on my iPad now I'll take a look when laptops on next :)

Looks like you had a great time Adam, love the protective Cormorant :D
Yes a great few days I just love the place, I struggle for photos there but think I need more practice without the wife ;) but the enjoyment of just watching and walking around there makes up for it and the starlings........ Well that was just amazing by time we left Friday night must have been into the hundreds of thousands? Just one of natures amazing sights I cannot believe we have not been to see before

Agree..the cormorant shot is tops. I wonder which gilt to the resting platform (not sure of the proper name) first ?

Love the owl,that was a real bonus and very well caught too.The swans are majestic, as ever. All in all a great visit.

Agree..the cormorant shot is tops. I wonder which gilt to the resting platform (not sure of the proper name) first ?

Love the owl,that was a real bonus and very well caught too.The swans are majestic, as ever. All in all a great visit.
Thanks John the cormorant one really did make me chuckle it's like a caption competition "Don't hurt my little duckies" or "Please don't shoot!"

Thanks John wish I was still there my first week back at work already seems like a lifetime ago :(

Lovely mate lovely little write up graced by some cool images,cracking barnie shot and how wouldn't smile at the duck shot thanks for posting mate i've really enjoyed this!!

Stu

Thanks Stuart cannot wait to go back love it there if I had the find if but sharpham tearoom sad they selling up due to ill health of husband I think

We all know you got a great eye for subjects but I wonder about the regularity
in your rendition:
some lack WB,
others DRL,
others brightness /highlights control
other still, over saturation!

Don't get me wrong …but I just wonder.

Back