A few days on the road

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
A mixed bag of photos from my wee trip to Leeds. Took in Hartlepool, Saltburn, Staithes and Blackpool along the way up and down with a few other venues that never made the cut.If I go away with work/Union I always try to tag a day at one end or the other to get some photos, may as well let someone else pay the petrol. Relatively pleased with a few of them but still hurting from missing out on the sunrise on the first day due to a poor and inaccessible location choice. My overweight approaching 50 body couldn't scramble over the huge boulders at Chemical Beach, Seaham and the best was gone by the time I reached Hartlepool.
Steetley Pier by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Steetley Pier by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Staithes by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Staithes by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Leeds Golden Hour by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Blackpool Steps by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

I do like that the b+w Steetley pier one and those long shadows Simon. Is that another little pier or something out to sea on the right hand side between the pier? It must just be me as I have never seemed to see a picture at Staithes when I've been up there, it just looks so messy

I do like that the b+w Steetley pier one and those long shadows Simon. Is that another little pier or something out to sea on the right hand side between the pier? It must just be me as I have never seemed to see a picture at Staithes when I've been up there, it just looks so messy

The cars are a pain at Satithes and I wish I had by tall tripod as that may have given me a cleaner crop at the bottom of the frame. It's a lovely place though.
The small stumps at Steetley sit 30 yards behind the main pier. It looks like the piles of a landing stage or such like. I wasn't sure about leaving them in but they are a nice extra point of interest.

1, 2, and 4 are delicious takes, Simon! (y)(y)(y)

Hi Simon,
I like them all,
But I love Steetley pier, the ripples gives the sand a great textured look and also the nice clean lines of the steps in the last one leading you into the image

Iain

The two mono shots are my faves with the pier shot edging it.

The mono pier and leeds golden hour shots are excellent Simon.

For me, the Staithes ones are too level and lose too much at the bottom of the frame, angle down, and correct verticals in post.

The mono pier and leeds golden hour shots are excellent Simon.

For me, the Staithes ones are too level and lose too much at the bottom of the frame, angle down, and correct verticals in post.

I'll give that a go the next time I'm there. It's one of those places that is difficult to get a great composition. There was quite a bit of foliage that would have got in the way if I had pointed down any further

Last edited:
Been to all of these locations and live in Leeds.

Of the set it's #2 for me. Wonderful lines and great detail in the sand. Has the look of an elephant's skin.

I do like Steetley Pier.

Cheers.

Back