A few evenings in Torbay

This is scary... think I can identify your shots as being yours now. So you have a style mate well done.

Love all of these and the last one is a little bit special :D

This is scary... think I can identify your shots as being yours now. So you have a style mate well done.

Love all of these and the last one is a little bit special :D

Thanks Bryn, really appreciate your comments as usual.

Nice set but the last one is a stunner!

Thanks Andrew, I really wasn't sure what feedback I would get for that one! Sometimes I have ideas to try and make scenes a little more creative but wonder if I push things a little too far.

I have to agree.
That last shot is a winner.

Love the last shot it has a real sinister feel about it, could you elaborate a little on the processing you did.

wow they are simply stunning!

Im a big fan of all of them! well done :)

Thanks

Love the last shot it has a real sinister feel about it, could you elaborate a little on the processing you did.

Yes sure:

It's made up of 2 shots, both with 30 second exposures. First shot the torch lit my face for aprox 5 seconds then lit the path for 25, second shot was torch dead still lighting the path for 30 seconds, staying as still as possible. 2 shots were then blended in photoshop before adding a little flare on the torch, darkening the sky, sea and areas I didn't want lit around the path, took 2-3 hours to get right in PP, making sure there was limited banding and the balance was right.

Not an area of the region I particularly like but your shots certainly show that it has plenty of photogenic qualities!

Not an area of the region I particularly like but your shots certainly show that it has plenty of photogenic qualities!

Me neither, i stopped fishing the area years ago because the pier and rocks had become a drinking and dumping ground for the youth of Torbay! I'm actually surprised that tree still exists and is unspoilt, perhaps the young drunks have moved on! The area is really nice it's just the people that spoil it!!!

Did a mono conversion in a different crop, think I still prefer the original though.

It's too dark on here, best viewed in flickr

Last edited:
I really love that night shot (particularly the first one you've shared)

I spent a few childhood holidays in Babbacombe but the location isn't familiar at all.

Hi Neil
Nice set here...
No1 I like the shot, its funny but gives the impression that the horizon is leaning... Although it isn't must be an optical illusion or my wonky eyes;). Nice purples and pinks in the sky and nice shutter speed which gives a great and interesting contrast between the sea and the still clear rock pools. Nice light hitting the pier(?) on the horizon.

No2 Like this location, and love the singular tree silhouetted against the clouds, Nice lead in with the stairs and railings. I think the B&W conversion helps with the concrete steps makes them look less man made in some ways.
Nice exposure and like the texture in the rocks in the foreground and love the clouds in this shot too.

No3 like the foreground rocks in this shot, and the sea obviously pushing up through the rocks gives a little surreal effect. The pier gives a very stark hard contrast against the misty sea. Like the reflection on the right and love that streaming sky. Nice shot.

No4 Absolute cracker eclipses all the others IMHO. Love the colour and the atmosphere in this shot. Great tones and silhouette, you could almost imagine this as a book cover sleeve! Really nice work. I think it would be interesting to see the mono edit in colour, to reveal the full extent of the steps. This is a excellent shot full marks Neil brilliant work(y).

BTW how are you getting on with the 810? its my upgrade path from the 700 probably later this year so interested on how it preforms....

All the best
Steve

Back