A few from a recent wedding

Definitely your best set yet! Although I will say it was all going so well until I hit the Sepia toned images!!! Seriously that's not a good idea :hungover:

The contrast is very heavy and at times hurt my eyes a bit but that's just personal preference and I myself was heavy on the contrast until my last few weddings so know why you'd go for that look. That couple dancing that's badly OOF I would remove from the blog... it's almost a good image but to me it looks OOF and it's too far gone to be in the set IMO.

What's the venue like btw? I have one there next year... looks a bit like As You Like It for the ceremony with spotlights nuking what's under them but everything else in pitch darkness?

Cheers Andy :)

Yeah I wasn't 100% about the sepia ones - I did the sneak peak shot for them this way but when editing the full set I did them in B&W too, and included both for the couple. Might just change them for B&W on the blog too.

I'm still trying to find a way of processing that I'm 100% happy with, definitely getting there but I agree about the contrast - I do favour a slightly more low contrast look that I've seen others use but I'm yet to get it how I want it.

The one with the couple dancing is actually motion blur rather than focus, it was a grab shot as it just happened as I was doing some shots of the room before the evening do. I kind of like the motion blur, think it adds a bit of vibrance to the image, but guess it's not for everyone.

South Causey Inn is pretty good - the light in the main room is great during the day, loads of natural light. Very dark during the evening though, mainly horrible multi coloured disco lights. Used zoomed flash for the dancing shots and seemed to work OK. Big problem was the ceremony room, as there are angled windows on the roof where the sun streams through and totally blows out whatever it lands on, which was often the groom or his mother sat behind him.

Cheers Andy :)

Yeah I wasn't 100% about the sepia ones - I did the sneak peak shot for them this way but when editing the full set I did them in B&W too, and included both for the couple. Might just change them for B&W on the blog too.

I'm still trying to find a way of processing that I'm 100% happy with, definitely getting there but I agree about the contrast - I do favour a slightly more low contrast look that I've seen others use but I'm yet to get it how I want it.

The one with the couple dancing is actually motion blur rather than focus, it was a grab shot as it just happened as I was doing some shots of the room before the evening do. I kind of like the motion blur, think it adds a bit of vibrance to the image, but guess it's not for everyone.

South Causey Inn is pretty good - the light in the main room is great during the day, loads of natural light. Very dark during the evening though, mainly horrible multi coloured disco lights. Used zoomed flash for the dancing shots and seemed to work OK. Big problem was the ceremony room, as there are angled windows on the roof where the sun streams through and totally blows out whatever it lands on, which was often the groom or his mother sat behind him.

Ahh at least it's sunlight, if I get an overcast day it's not too bad then :) Glad you like the venue, the word 'Inn' has always made me think it'll be like a pub but the pics you have here make it look pretty nice :)

It's taken me 4 years to work out how I want to process, no doubt I'll change my mind again soon hah! It's good that you're experimenting and doing what feels right to you at the time as it should be personal and not just a duplicate of what everyone else is doing, keep tweaking over time until it's very much 'ahh that's an Andy Turner image' reaction when people see it. Although as stated don't be known as 'the sepia guy' ;)

had a look at the storyboard more bad pics
i think you need a lot more practice if your earning money from the shots i viewed it may sound harsh
just look at pic no1 her hair is blown into the background if you look at the other togs on here who do weedings they blow you away for the wow factor
if you where at a camera club your shots would score mostly 15 that means granny took the pic with her
pocket camera

Last edited:
i think you need a lot more practice if your earning money from the shots i viewed it may sound harsh
just look at pic no1 her hair is blown into the background if you look at the other togs on here who do weedings they blow you away for the wow factor

Yeah nice of you to add that comment to the blog post for all to see.

I think you need a lot more practice with your grammar before posting on forums, but that's just my opinion.

if you where at a camera club your shots would score mostly 15 that means granny took the pic with her
pocket camera

WTF?

Have I done something to offend you?

pocket camera

really? I little harsh and unfair I think..

I think you need a lot more practice with your grammar before posting on forums, but that's just my opinion.

Surely not, not on your business blog.

C'mon guys. There us a proper way to critique work....

Anyways, great set. Im not qualified for detailed crit but I do like them. Agree with Andys points though...

Andy dont post pics if you dont want to hear the bad with the good you only learn with your mistakes thats why people come on the forum , its to learn
what im saying to you is you need tuiton on exposure to stop blowing out / shutter speed to stop motion blur etc etc
if you knew how to use these you would not have the problems which you are showing off to everyone
by the way im not taking money from clients for my grammer so trot on son trot on

Andy dont post pics if you dont want to hear the bad with the good you only learn with your mistakes thats why people come on the forum , its to learn
what im saying to you is you need tuiton on exposure to stop blowing out / shutter speed to stop motion blur etc etc
if you knew how to use these you would not have the problems which you are showing off to everyone
by the way im not taking money from clients for my grammer so trot on son trot on

BTW I didn't ask for critique. But I welcome it when it is constructive.

I must admit that while I appreciate you're aiming for a particular style I think the processing is a bit OTT for a wedding. I prefer to see a bit of contrast and am not a fan of the really low contrast black and white pictures that are all the rage at the mo. But I think you've gone to far with some of these which (for me) leaves the pictures looking a bit dark and dingy. Which particularly grates against some of the fun images such as the girls pulling faces. I also think there's a few howlers in your set. The shot of the guy where his head is bright white would have been binned for me. I like the expression that his blowing his cheeks out with a bit of anxiety but really? There also appear to be a few shots which aren't in focus. I know some people aren't fussed about images being tack sharp but there's a couple there that look off, even at small size on an iPad.

On the plus side there's some crackers too. I like a couple of the posed shots with the couple.

In short I'd personally keep looking to refine your PP and maybe be a bit more critical of the shots that haven't worked (as much as you might like them).

I'm not taking sides but I wonder if you would have attacked his grammar if he had been gushing with praise?

I must admit that while I appreciate you're aiming for a particular style I think the processing is a bit OTT for a wedding. I prefer to see a bit of contrast and am not a fan of the really low contrast black and white pictures that are all the rage at the mo. But I think you've gone to far with some of these which (for me) leaves the pictures looking a bit dark and dingy. Which particularly grates against some of the fun images such as the girls pulling faces. I also think there's a few howlers in your set. The shot of the guy where his head is bright white would have been binned for me. I like the expression that his blowing his cheeks out with a bit of anxiety but really? There also appear to be a few shots which aren't in focus. I know some people aren't fussed about images being tack sharp but there's a couple there that look off, even at small size on an iPad.

On the plus side there's some crackers too. I like a couple of the posed shots with the couple.

In short I'd personally keep looking to refine your PP and maybe be a bit more critical of the shots that haven't worked (as much as you might like them).

I'm not taking sides but I wonder if you would have attacked his grammar if he had been gushing with praise?

I attacked his grammar because of the totally unnecessary post he put on my actual blog for all to see. I am all for a bit of constructive criticism but there was nothing constructive about it, more like a completely unnecessary attack.

Cheers for your crit tho, much appreciated :)

There were issues in the ceremony with the sun beaming through and totally blowing out whatever touched which didn't help.

Which images did you think we're OOF? I know the dancing one is blurred slightly but that is motion blur rather than focus and I quite like it. Are there others?

Cheers

happy now

:plus1:

Surely not, not on your business blog.

Yeah 'fraid so, that's what has got my back up a little bit. I don't mind crit, I don't claim to be the best photographer in the world but I'm improving, and my clients are happy and that is what's most important to me. This is only my second full year so I know I have a long way to go. But someone going out of their way to put a negative comment on my blog? That just takes the biscuit.

This will be the last time I post any pics on here tbh. That's not me spitting the dummy out because I can't take criticism - in fact I welcome it and always have when posting on here, but this has over stepped the mark. Just no need for it.

Yeah 'fraid so, that's what has got my back up a little bit. I don't mind crit, I don't claim to be the best photographer in the world but I'm improving, and my clients are happy and that is what's most important to me. This is only my second full year so I know I have a long way to go. But someone going out of their way to put a negative comment on my blog? That just takes the biscuit.

This will be the last time I post any pics on here tbh. That's not me spitting the dummy out because I can't take criticism - in fact I welcome it and always have when posting on here, but this has over stepped the mark. Just no need for it.

I can see how you feel. I had someone (a family member) make a joke / pick something up in my blog. They didn't realise / inadvertently posted something thinking they were 'helping' ( I think I had left a exit sign in the image) . Had to delete the comment then explain to them why its not great for business.

Im in my first year still (end of) so I know it takes time to find a style / and also to win business so neg comments should be kept private.

Don't give up posting on here. I have learnt a lot and crit is generally good and constructive.

guys

can we all put the frikkin handbags away and just offer constructive crit or say nowt at all.

Its normally much more friendly on here ......

that's my last post on the matter lol!

Posting on someone's blog is mental, just mental. I'm staggered. What is the thought process there?!?! It's someone's business.

Anyway, utter lunacy and weirdly harsh crit aside, the shot where they're both under the veil is a stunner - the B&G will be chuffed with that.

The South Causey is a lovely venue - I had trepidations before my first gig there (the whole stigma of the 'Inn' thing) but the staff are lovely and the main room is cracking.

Seriously?! The guy just posted a negative comment on my blog? I think I'm allowed a slightly immature and petty reaction ;)

two wrongs dont make a right.. and everyone who puts anyhting interactive on there website should be prepared for the worse..it happens and unless your monitoring 24hrs a day then its not the greatest idea... the comments about your pics wernt far off the mark to be honest... either dont ask for comments or learn to take them without attacking the person giving them..

and yes.. i am aware my grammar stinks thank you :)

guys

can we all put the frikkin handbags away and just offer constructive crit or say nowt at all.

so your input is to tell people off then ask for people to stop telling people off.... class :)

Posting on someone's blog is mental, just mental. I'm staggered. What is the thought process there?!?! It's someone's business.

i ahvent got not want a blog.. but i presume if the option for people to post on it is there then thats what its for..?

pocket camera

guys

You're absolutely right Greg - but someone clealry needs a lesson on how to give crit. Or just how to interact in a civilised society.

I can see how you feel. I had someone (a family member) make a joke / pick something up in my blog. They didn't realise / inadvertently posted something thinking they were 'helping' ( I think I had left a exit sign in the image) . Had to delete the comment then explain to them why its not great for business.

Im in my first year still (end of) so I know it takes time to find a style / and also to win business so neg comments should be kept private.

Don't give up posting on here. I have learnt a lot and crit is generally good and constructive.

I just can't believe the support he's getting for doing it. I know you've got to have a thick skin in business blah blah etc etc but that's no excuse for just plain rudeness. From looking at other similar threads it seems he hasn't posted crit on any of them, which makes it seem a bit more like a direct attack on me for whatever reason. Ah well c'est la vie...

i ahvent got not want a blog.. but i presume if the option for people to post on it is there then thats what its for..?

Don't want to derail Andy's thread.....although that ship has probably sailed.

Put yourself in his shoes. The purpose of a blog is soley to showcase your work and keep people up to date with what you're doing (to show you're busy and active). With a wedding blog they're mainly used for friends and family of the B&G to view their wedding and congratulate the couple, and also for prospective clients to view your work. They're not there for the purposes of critique.......to be honest, I thought that would/should be pretty obvious. Maybe I was mistaken.

Last edited:
two wrongs dont make a right.. and everyone who puts anyhting interactive on there website should be prepared for the worse..it happens and unless your monitoring 24hrs a day then its not the greatest idea... the comments about your pics wernt far off the mark to be honest... either dont ask for comments or learn to take them without attacking the person giving them..

and yes.. i am aware my grammar stinks thank you :)

I didn't ask for comments now you come to mention it. But thanks for your input anyway.

so your input is to tell people off then ask for people to stop telling people off.... class :)

I think if you read it properly you would see it was a request.....

A telling off would be

'Stop doing that now you pair of little monkeys. If your mother finds out you have painted the dog again I will be in trouble'

At least that's the general telling off my toddlers get at the weekend!!!

but hey...now we are more off topic...and its turning into quite an amusing thread.

FWIW I think Andy is completely justified in being annoyed. There's a big difference between constructive critique which aims to improve and the pile of negative trash that holty posted. You obviously have areas in which you can improve and don't we all but that does not give someone the right to publicly criticize work you have put your all into for a paying bride and groom openly on a blog. Its that sort of immature behavior that leads to court cases.

I like this set Andy. For me, you're a little contrasty with the black and white and it would be better if you toned that down a little. I think the photo of the bride and her mates pulling faces for the camera is ace, but personally I would have kept it to just one on my blog (maybe I'm dull)

Last edited:
I agree with you Andy that putting negative comments on someone's blog is a no-no. It's not good for the bloggers business so it's generally frowned upon. Of course if it's the bride or a guest that makes negative comments there's not much you can do about it but as fellow pros we shouldn't do it.

I attacked his grammar because of the totally unnecessary post he put on my actual blog for all to see. I am all for a bit of constructive criticism but there was nothing constructive about it, more like a completely unnecessary attack.

Cheers for your crit tho, much appreciated :)

There were issues in the ceremony with the sun beaming through and totally blowing out whatever touched which didn't help.

Which images did you think we're OOF? I know the dancing one is blurred slightly but that is motion blur rather than focus and I quite like it. Are there others?

Cheers

Bridemaids walking up aisle.
Groom putting her ring on (looks like focus is on Best Man)

well I'm certainly no pro photographer but I think there are some great images in there

I agree with ryanyboy that the focus does appear to be on the best man, but I prob wouldn't have noticed had it not been pointed out as it's not as if the B&G are totally blurred!

totally shocked at someone posting on the blog though, a completely stupid and spiteful thing to do considering that it's obvious purpose is for those who know the married couple not keyboard warrior a**eholes

I love the photos of the girls pulling faces - it's always nice to see something different & done nicely.

Some of the b&white are a bit dark for my personal taste (2nd pic on your original post) but overall thumbs up

p.s. i dont shoot weddings and am far too chicken to do so, so commenting from the perspective of an ameatur tog (who also cant spell) who might be a friend of the wedding party and excitedly viewing :)

Back