Critique A few from a recent wedding.

#2 for me, don't get #4, very nice the rest. And just to moan, #1 would have been better in full portrait mode instead of having the guests' backs.

#2 for me, don't get #4, very nice the rest. And just to moan, #1 would have been better in full portrait mode instead of having the guests' backs.
:agree:

Hi Lynn,

It really is important that you direct your clients. You
cannot take what they don't give you and give you
things they don't see (#3: ripples and flapping sakko,
#1 untidy jacket).

I know someone commented on going portrait on the first but IMO you'd then lose the fact that they're walking up the aisle.

I said so :) You would lose some of the people left and right but you would get the feet and the aisle so it would be quite clear what they are doing ... walking on the aisle. As it happens everyone is looking somewhere else giving the impression the newly weds are irrelevant and there is something more interesting happening in the front. I am not being critical of the photograph as it is easy to be wise after the event ... all I am suggesting is with the camera held in portrait mode and with enough distance between subjects and camera etc etc etc.

all nic shots but they do look a bit on the soft side
how is everyone else seeing them !!

1 looks like it's suffered a little camera shake and 3 seem to have missed focus, at least as presented. I doubt the client will notice, and will be very pleased with them

I discovered the videographer had only a wide lens on and had walked forward into my shot so he was very close to them so had to quickly move up. I like the guests being in it though so when I do this shot with them full length I would have it in landscape still. I rarely shoot in portrait.

Last edited:

Yeah it's cos I uploaded ones from my phone that I downloaded from my FB page - they're not soft just low res uploads. I won't do it that way again.

I'm liking all of these Lynn, with the exception of No5.
Apologies, but as an OCD, the loose ties, items in pockets, and step inbalance could have been addressed through direction, to make this a stunner.

Hmmm... a little harsh I think Lynn. I think they're a really strong set.

I really can't see many taking a portrait shot of the couple walking back out of church. It's part of the story by adding context with people in the background, even if they're not looking at them (you can't change that)

I might crop a little more off the top in the veil shot but second and third are lovely classical shots. Like the last shot too. Very elegant placement of hands (works even more so as she has the figure)

Last edited:
I'm liking all of these Lynn, with the exception of No5.
Apologies, but as an OCD, the loose ties, items in pockets, and step inbalance could have been addressed through direction, to make this a stunner.

Yeah one of the bridal party arrived nearly 2 hours late so had 5 mins before dinner to get boys and all bridal party and videographer getting stuff. I didn't sort things like ties/pockets stuff plus should have put the bridesmaid with injured hand where she could have hidden her hand better.

Hmmm... a little harsh I think Lynn. I think they're a really strong set.

I really can't see many taking a portrait shot of the couple walking back out of church. It's part of the story by adding context with people in the background, even if they're not looking at them (you can't change that)

I might crop a little more off the top in the veil shot but second and third are lovely classical shots. Like the last shot too. Very elegant placement of hands (works even more so as she has the figure)

Thanks!

Yep, good work there Lynn.
Thank you.

Back