A few from Florida last week

Edit My Images
No
A couple of shots from my brief visit to Florida last week. Didn't spend as much time out shooting this time, probably a day and a half in total if that...plus been struggling with a trapped nerve in my shoulder so that was slowing me right down. However, I got a few shots that I liked so thought I'd share a few of them with you :)

Great Blue Heron at sunset. I was taking long exposure shots of the beach at Siesta Key on the West Coast, after sunset. I spotted this GBH further up the beach and thought nothing of it as my 200-400 was back in the car and I was shooting with my 50mm. However, after about 15 minutes the Heron flew over and landed right in front of me! He was standing quite still at times as he scanned his prey so I tried to get a long exposure with him in it. He never stood still long enough for the exposures but this was the closest he came, so he is just slightly translucent - it bothered me at first but now I almost think it adds something?! I just like the shot for it's colours and the fact it shows the enviroment the bird lives in...not a bad life fishing in the Gulf of Mexico every evening eh! lol

50mm, 13 seconds, f14, ISO 200

RP1_7086.jpg

The rest are quite standard issue stuff (i.e. bird on a stickl)

Turkey Vulture in the Everglades. Basking in a typical late afternoon sun. The light really does go the most incredible golden colour just before sunset, every single day!!

RP1_7342.jpg

Little Blue Heron.

RP1_7597.jpg

Red Shoulder Hawk

RP1_7843.jpg

Another Great Blue Heron

RP1_7204.jpg

So, not as productive as my last trip but still nice to get out with the camera (even though I almost left it at home due to the shoulder!).

You can see a couple of alligators from the trip here

Last edited:
they may be birds on sticks but i'm impressed. nice captures.

Back