A Few from Greylake.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Nipped to Greylake for a few hours today and although pretty grey and dull, managed to get these. Nothing exotic but nice enough I think.

#1 (Edited as per post below - Now showing updated image)

Reed Bunting 2 by Pete W, on Flickr

Greylake 6 by Pete W, on Flickr

Greylake 2 by Pete W, on Flickr

And finally the Starling.
Starling by Pete W, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
Light was playing havoc, cloudy and dull one minute and then sunny the next, but happy with these.

Last edited:
Another good set, Pete...the female RB is such a pretty bird and much better looking than her other half.

Also, great sharpness on the Starling (y)

Nice set well taken Pete, for me the 1st image is a little over-exposed, a tweak back will greatly improve it IMO :)

I agree the female reed bunting is particularly nice. I like Greylake - not least because it's one of the quickest and easiest of the Levels reserves to get to from where I am but also because I've seen more close up there than I ever have up at Ham Wall etc. And the butterflies and dragonflies there in the summer are well worth a visit.

I agree the female reed bunting is particularly nice. I like Greylake - not least because it's one of the quickest and easiest of the Levels reserves to get to from where I am but also because I've seen more close up there than I ever have up at Ham Wall etc. And the butterflies and dragonflies there in the summer are well worth a visit.

I am closest to Swell but don't rate it very much, although a friend of mine loves it there and has some great photos. I like Greylake as it's the next one from me (I am in Chard) and agree it is not as busy as Ham Wall, but I like the variety of Ham wall and love the new Avalon Hide.

All are well worth a visit and I feel lucky to live in such a great part of the world.

I am closest to Swell but don't rate it very much, although a friend of mine loves it there and has some great photos. I like Greylake as it's the next one from me (I am in Chard) and agree it is not as busy as Ham Wall, but I like the variety of Ham wall and love the new Avalon Hide.

All are well worth a visit and I feel lucky to live in such a great part of the world.
Near Ilminster so Swell Wood is not far at all up the lanes, but I've never seen much there apart for the herons and egrets in spring, which are something else to hear (the herons). I haven't been to Ham Wall much, and the junction back at the main road is lethal in a long nosed vehicle. I need to find another route home and start going there more.

Near Ilminster so Swell Wood is not far at all up the lanes, but I've never seen much there apart for the herons and egrets in spring, which are something else to hear (the herons). I haven't been to Ham Wall much, and the junction back at the main road is lethal in a long nosed vehicle. I need to find another route home and start going there more.

The Ashcott turning is a pain. I used to work just up the road so know the roads well as I did every way poss from Chard. To be honest the easy way is A303 and then up to Street, along Back river and through to Meare, a bit further granted but so much easier and just as fuel efficient. If I go to Avalon centre then I go via 7 bends, pedwell hill and then through Shapwick.

Westhay and Canada farm have had a few car break in recently and catcott is a bit out of the way as well.

Back