A few from January and Feb

Good to get some outdoors. Well done with the small and not so easy hopper and springtails, particularly the first springtail, with droplets, nice!

Is the centipede a stack? That's good. I'd be interested to know some more about how/how many images you captured.
Thank you, it was a stack of 5 photos, free hand - it was surprising to find a centipede that stays still that long.

I have some plants in pots on my patio (white currant, gooseberry, blueberry etc) and I have newspaper round them to suppress weeds, everyone thinks it looks awful but I love it as it is a brilliant hunting ground for woodlice, springtails and centipedes (which maybe eat the others) to photograph. Also it does get rid of the weeds and I get a lot of white currants every July (the others not so good so far).

Here is a whole body shot of the centipede - 8 shots

Centipede IMG_3785 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Thank you, it was a stack of 5 photos, free hand - it was surprising to find a centipede that stays still that long.

I have some plants in pots on my patio (white currant, gooseberry, blueberry etc) and I have newspaper round them to suppress weeds, everyone thinks it looks awful but I love it as it is a brilliant hunting ground for woodlice, springtails and centipedes (which maybe eat the others) to photograph. Also it does get rid of the weeds and I get a lot of white currants every July (the others not so good so far).

Here is a whole body shot of the centipede - 8 shots

Excellent. I really must try this.

Some lovely finds there Dave, well done for getting out.
You should find some butterflies now.

Excellent. I really must try this.
Try the newspaper idea do you mean? It looks awful but gives hours of fun.

Some lovely finds there Dave, well done for getting out.
You should find some butterflies now.
Thank you, to be honest I am claustrophobic I have to go out every day. I really hate it when we have heavy rain and I am stuck in the house all day. I have seen a Brimstone but flying away from me. Hopefully will get some others but I never get that many Butterflies sadly.

Last edited:
I thought you were already doing that, hence my confusion.

That's understandable. Actually though I'm only doing stacking for flowers etc. I've not tried it much for insects etc, and that was some time ago and with focus bracketing and post focus video to capture the images. What I haven't tried at all is using just a few shots, which I could do by fixing the focus and moving the camera to move the centre of focus. I'd be able to use my usual invertebrate setup and use flash in the usual way. I've only ever done two or three invertebrate stacks of that sort, and they were all with "accidental" captures where I happened to notice that I had two or three shots I could fit together for deeper depth of field. I've never gone out with the intention of getting sets of shots like that. But seeing your results I think I will try that (and if I remember I'll try increasing the aperture so as to get better detail and fast flash recycling).

Nice set I love the centipede

Back