A few from my holiday to South Africa

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Was hoping for some exotics, but the majority were very common birds. It gave me a great opportunity to practice and learn the Tamron 150-600mm and I wanted to share some of my progress here.

Happy for critique and I am not the sensitive type, so have at it. Really hoping to improve and it's the only way I'll learn :)

#2 and #3 were taken in the Addo Elephant Park, not in an aviary, so truly Wild & Free :)

#5 was at World of Birds in Cape Town - a sleepy pelican.

wow cant believe no ones commented on these some great looking birds very envoius

good Pale Chanting Goshawk, looks a lot better of Flickr

and it's a Cape Robin-Chat, Graham ..... not just a Cape Robin

Last edited:
Nice collection, pics like these always make me want to get abroad somewhere hehe

1,3 and 6 are my faves. I kinda want to like #5 but I'm not sure on the cropping although I don't know what options you had there :)

Thanks for the comments guys. How's the composition, etc? Anything that needs attention?

Thanks for the IDs @BillN_33 - I didn't know it was a Cape Robin-Chat, everyone refers to them without the 'chat' bit :)

Thanks for the comments guys. How's the composition, etc? Anything that needs attention?

Thanks for the IDs @BillN_33 - I didn't know it was a Cape Robin-Chat, everyone refers to them without the 'chat' bit :)

I suppose all Robins are Chats ....... "Old world" flycatchers

is No 5 a shoebill stork, it has that kind of look to it. No 1 looks pretty exotic to me!

is No 5 a shoebill stork, it has that kind of look to it. No 1 looks pretty exotic to me!

Not sure, Alan. I seem to recall seeing 'pelican' when looking at the sign on the aviary fence post. I may be wrong though :(

Thanks, #1 is the southern double-collared sunbird or lesser double-collared sunbird (Cinnyris chalybeus) - lovely bird but a nightmare in harsh sunlight!

Not sure, Alan. I seem to recall seeing 'pelican' when looking at the sign on the aviary fence post. I may be wrong though :(

Thanks, #1 is the southern double-collared sunbird or lesser double-collared sunbird (Cinnyris chalybeus) - lovely bird but a nightmare in harsh sunlight!

Just posted a Greater Double Collared Graham so that you can compare - longer stouter beak, obviously wider red band, and the red band on the Greater usually spreads into the violet band.

They look stunning especially in strong sunlight

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/south-african-sunbird-for-comparison.586955/

Last edited:
Thank you :)

are you going back to South Africa again Graham .. it's a marvellous country ......... just booked our next trip back ....... unfortunately not until next January ........ but I my try to get back on my own in their winter

are you going back to South Africa again Graham .. it's a marvellous country ......... just booked our next trip back ....... unfortunately not until next January ........ but I my try to get back on my own in their winter

I grew up there and try to get back annually. Been in the UK 11 years now, so have seen how things have changed there over the years - some good, some bad. If you do go back in the winter, try getting out to some of the national parks like Kruger. May to September can be spectacular. We went in early April some years ago on honeymoon and loved it. Pity I didn't have all the gear I have now though!

Back