A few from my trips out over the last fortnight

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Here's a handful of images taken this past fortnight, making the most of my time off work before going back on Monday. About 2500 miles travelled, a few photos taken, and generally a good few day trips away with good mates.

1. Kilchurn Castle by Martin Steele, on Flickr

2. Lochan na h-Achlaise by Martin Steele, on Flickr

3. Elgol by Martin Steele, on Flickr

4. Ribblehead Viaduct by Martin Steele, on Flickr

5. Happy New Year! by Martin Steele, on Flickr

6. Buachaille Etive Mor by Martin Steele, on Flickr

7. The Buachaille by Martin Steele, on Flickr

They're all so brilliantly composed. Fantastic photos. I'd be happy with all of them on my wall. If I had to choose my favs I think they would be 1 and 6. I love the layers in 1, so much interest throughout, and I love the strong leading line in 6 and the colours. Great!

Annoyingly good. 3 & my fave 4 are excellent. 1 works well square-ish without the (IMO boring) stones in the foreground too.

Thanks Ian. I like the stones personally, hence them being in the image in the forst place, however there is plenty more images to have a play about with different crops :)

They're all so brilliantly composed. Fantastic photos. I'd be happy with all of them on my wall. If I had to choose my favs I think they would be 1 and 6. I love the layers in 1, so much interest throughout, and I love the strong leading line in 6 and the colours. Great!

Thanks Joel :)

A lovely set. I wish I had taken them all, especially #3 (y)

Thanks Andrea :)

Wish I had the time to get to so many places to shoot, just getting to one at the moment would be nice. A great set, I'd be happy to have any in my collection

Last edited:
They're all great, but 2, 3 and 7 are my faves for their sense of depth and movement in the last 2.

Not my time of year but two is nice as is the last two
Haha yep, it's my time of year just now mate :D

ELGOL!!!!!!!!!!! LOL and #1 is good too :D
Best place on the island mate....spent most the day just wandering the cliff tops for new compositions for my workshop in March too :D

Ribblehead for me.
Probably one of my top images I've made this year Peter, thank you :)

Lovely set. No 6 for me but I like how Ribblehead looks really chunky from the angle you have taken it from.
Thanks Simon, number 6 was one of those that you know you've bagged a decent image as soon as you see it on the back of the camera....fleeting moments too with ever changing cloud, fog and light :)

Cracking set of pictures Martin. I recognise the last two. :)
Cheers Scott mate, it's a git when you unknowingly rip your mates compositions off lol!! :D

#3 is a masterpiece!

#5 very much beneath you now!
Thank you Mark, I've shot Elgol a lot, and that is one of my favourite images I've made from there.

The jetty was just a new years day sunrise with the lads more than anything, with a time restraint for being back home, so chose somewhere simple :)

Personally 2 is the top pick. 3 also gets both thumbs up, despite being very wet. I'd love to see a mono conversion of that too. And finally the last one. Strong and dynamic. I find it slightly preferable to the one just above.

Very nice set Martin

A beautiful set, especially the first three. If I had to pick one for the wall it would probably be the second, a gorgeous scene with wonderful light and atmosphere

Fantastic. Very nice set, well done.

Blimey, you get about a bit. What a lovely set of photo’s.
Personally 2 is the top pick. 3 also gets both thumbs up, despite being very wet. I'd love to see a mono conversion of that too. And finally the last one. Strong and dynamic. I find it slightly preferable to the one just above.
No 3 for me. (y)
Very nice set Martin
A beautiful set, especially the first three. If I had to pick one for the wall it would probably be the second, a gorgeous scene with wonderful light and atmosphere
Damn they are good. I think I should give up.
Fantastic. Very nice set, well done.

Thank you all kindly :)

Elgol is cracking. Just the right amount of movement in the water. The viaduct is a great composition too.

When I looked at 1 and 2 I thought "uh-oh, another 'got-a-UWA-and-going-to-use-it-all-the-time-no-matter-what' set", they don't really do much for me I'm afraid.

The others are fab though, 3 and 4 in particular, they're really nice, perfect shutter speed on 3.

Last edited:
Elgol is cracking. Just the right amount of movement in the water. The viaduct is a great composition too.
Thank you Tom :)

When I looked at 1 and 2 I thought "uh-oh, another 'got-a-UWA-and-going-to-use-it-all-the-time-no-matter-what' set", they don't really do much for me I'm afraid.

The others are fab though, 3 and 4 in particular, they're really nice, perfect shutter speed on 3.

Thanks Ned....the 20mm is pretty much stuck to my camera most of the time, and all were taken with it besides the viaduct one :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks Ned....the 20mm is pretty much stuck to my camera most of the time, and all were taken with it besides the viaduct one :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm just not a fan of UWA really, except in very certain instances. The majority of shots I see are very formulaic and often miss the main focal point of a scene.

This is why I like the viaduct, it's a much more normal perspective and focusses on the subject and Elgol works for me as there is real drama being captured in the UWA and not just a boring rock. The others, although well executed just don't float my boat, but the world would be a boring place if we all liked exactly the same things :)

I'm just not a fan of UWA really, except in very certain instances. The majority of shots I see are very formulaic and often miss the main focal point of a scene.

This is why I like the viaduct, it's a much more normal perspective and focusses on the subject and Elgol works for me as there is real drama being captured in the UWA and not just a boring rock. The others, although well executed just don't float my boat, but the world would be a boring place if we all liked exactly the same things :)

I totally get it, I try and neglect 'the rules' for the most part, and have recently just got the 20mm (Nov.), using the 24-70 or 70-200 for the last year or more before that. It totally wold be a boring old place if we all liked the same though :)

Excellent shots! I'm sure I know that castle - I stood in the marshy area opposite for about an hour, freezing, whilst waiting for my friend to come back from his photo spot (which I think was pretty close to yours). All those scenes have a sold air of lonliness and cold - extremely atmospheric and emotive!

Excellent shots! I'm sure I know that castle - I stood in the marshy area opposite for about an hour, freezing, whilst waiting for my friend to come back from his photo spot (which I think was pretty close to yours). All those scenes have a sold air of lonliness and cold - extremely atmospheric and emotive!

Thank you kindly Ian :)

Stunning set, 2 & 3 are my faves.
As already said, I wish I had stunning locations near me.

Back