A few from the last month or so

A good variety Simon, and all pretty good shots. My favourites would be #1 for the blue hour lighting and the detail in the bridges, but the sky in #3 is pretty special as well.

Lovely set - I'd probably take an inch off the top of #3 as my eyes are darting from the sky to the tree at the moment

Quite cool stuff, Simon,
nothing too much or too less…
very tasteful set! (y)

See if you could improve on the WB in #4

Last edited:
My prize goes to #2- classic countryside scene, great colours and rendition (IMhumbleO) and very nice composition,

lovely shots
welcome to nikon you can now get rid of all that canon s***e and start to get some good pics now :nikon:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what nikon gear did you buy ?

lovely shots
welcome to nikon you can now get rid of all that canon s***e and start to get some good pics now :nikon:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what nikon gear did you buy ?

Went from 5D3 to D810 and am using the same selection of landscape lenses 16-35mm F4, 24-70mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8 vr2 I also got a Samyang 14mm that is great for the money. I have just, 5 minutes ago, ordered a D500. So far the D810 blows the 5D3 away with everything except live view. I have had a loan of a D500 and that is wildly better than the 7D2 it replaces for me.

I can't say I have been as impressed with the glass. Corners of 16-35mm nowhere near as good as the Canon and I liked my old Canon 24-70 better even though it was an older model. Not much between the 70-200mm lenses but I would say the Canon gets the vote their too. The ergonomics of the Nikon bodies are better with buttons for aeb and mirror up and the Focus system is so easy to use and gets more sharp shots from my limited testing. I have had a bit of success using the D810 as a sports camera.r. I also love my 200mm F2 but miss my 300mm F2.8

i have the d500 also d750 i think the 2 bodies are excellent
i have the holy trinity lens's
17-35 24-70 700-200 all 2.8 nikon also the nikon 200-500 with 1.7tc
my mate bought the sony 7r2 mirrorless and i can tell you that is a league above the nikon d810
and thats saying something i can see me looking at sony in the future

Lovely set I like them all

1 & 3 for me. Is 3 of the field just south of lasswade rugby club?

It is Jim. A wee bit jiggery pokery with the tracks of the tractor to get them to line up. It is my favourite, bugger it looks like an unexpectedly good sunset and I only have 5 minutes to get somewhere location.

Done that myself and i find you can get some nice sunrises there also- and the tree is interesting

I might venture a bit closer to the tree next time but will be very careful to only trample on the already ruined crops. Do you take the sunset from the other side at Polton Road West. I drove past their on the way back from teh camera club and it looks quite nice facing the opposite way. Might take a camera out with me to teh club tonight.

Yes, you can get in and follow the edge of the field from there

That's a nice set there Simon, but No.1 blue hour really brings the detail out of the bridges AND then No.3 is a beauty in my eyes.

To be honest number 3 is head and shoulders above the rest, a superb landscape photo beautifully processed.

Interesting hearing your thoughts on your move to Nikon. If you are after critique on the images regarding the first for example I would say it is a lovely blue hour shot but the cutting off of the first reflected light in the bottom right foreground bothers me slightly, especially as the dead space at the top. You also have a tiny dust spot on your sensor on that one.

But number 3, spot on.

Super set!
1 is lovely, great tones and light and would be my pick.
2 not really my thing but nice all the same.
3 I love the idea and I would normally pick minimal shots as my faves, but the balance of the comp doesn't feel right to my eye.
4&5 are nice shots for this time of year in these type locations.

Cheers All

Neil I know exactly what you mean on 3 and I think I have got one with a more traditional crop. It was only when I got this one home that I quite like the off balance composition. It's grown on me and since as it was me breaking out of the usual thirds, I think I am going to stick with it as a reminder of trying to do something a bit different. The next shots will have to wait as my D810 and 16-35mm lasted a month before falling 15ft into the Loup of Fintry. Hopefully the insurance covers it and they were very nice of the phone today.

Super set!
3 I love the idea and I would normally pick minimal shots as my faves, but the balance of the comp doesn't feel right to my eye.

To be honest number 3 is head and shoulders above the rest, a superb landscape photo beautifully processed.

Interesting hearing your thoughts on your move to Nikon. If you are after critique on the images regarding the first for example I would say it is a lovely blue hour shot but the cutting off of the first reflected light in the bottom right foreground bothers me slightly, especially as the dead space at the top. You also have a tiny dust spot on your sensor on that one.

But number 3, spot on.

Craig, I agree about the bridge shot but this was the lowest framing I could get without there being other obstructions, seaweed and rocks. This shot was taken on arrival and it was the best I got. One of those situations where I was probably too eager to catch what was in front of me and not careful enough to look for another vantage point.. The sea wasn't quite at the right level and I prefer to be on the beach taking this composition as you can then get the road bridge and its reflection coming from the top and bottom right hand corners. I've been there a couple of times now and this is my best effort. Last time was sunrise but the blue hour might be worth another go

The next shots will have to wait as my D810 and 16-35mm lasted a month before falling 15ft into the Loup of Fintry.

Simon, I've got a D7100 you can borrow if it helps. I'll be away Monday to Thursday this week but I could drop it off tomorrow if you need it.

Simon, I've got a D7100 you can borrow if it helps. I'll be away Monday to Thursday this week but I could drop it off tomorrow if you need it.

Thanks for the offer Jim. I have a D500 that I can soldier on with. The kit lens isn't as wide as I usually shoot but the camera takes lovely images. Have a good trip

Back