A few from the park

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Recent visit to Teneriffe and they had probably the best BOP display I have seen to date anywhere.Grabbed a few shots,all taken with the 300mm F4.I have not spent too much time with processing and may well go back to see if I can improve on them further,the one shot that show no jesses or tracking arial on the Eagle is purely by chance as I have cloned nothing out.C&C always taken onboard.

203_490_zpsyx1i8i90.jpg

212_493_zpsvsc8voqc.jpg

467_538_zpsvw7n8im2.jpg

529_554_zpsrbuyy9bu.jpg

464_536_zpsyx6exogv.jpg

508_550_zpsau9mrqgq.jpg

Last edited:
Good set there, I am always impressed with the ability of the 300 f4 to get good results :)

Very cool stuff! Specially appreciate the condor as I don't see one of them very often!

Captive birds? Dear, dear you are getting old.

:agree: you will be doing pheasants next :meh: :indifferent:

You'll be surprised how much of a sport it is to get a good shot of a pheasant!

:agree: you will be doing pheasants next :meh: :indifferent:

Easy peasy for us younger, fitter blokes but not for an old crock like him.

You'll be surprised how much of a sport it is to get a good shot of a pheasant!
Could you go into further detail on this comment please?

I`m intrigued due to the fact that pheasants are so plentiful and so easy to get near, I would be pleased if you could show some examples. If you don`t mind of course.

Unless of course you mean shooting them with a twelve bore.......:)

Last edited:
that's some strange looking bird (guess ive seen more strange birds on a drunken Friday night out in town :p ) love the detail across the wings of the white tailed eagle they do look menacing

Could you go into further detail on this comment please?
Around here, pheasants are better left alone (so they think!), hard to approach, always
under cover, and getting out of one's frame without notice: beautiful but hard to get!

I would be pleased if you could show some examples. If you don`t mind of course.
Of the many birds I shot, only this one has the name pheasant on it:
Unless of course you mean shooting them with a twelve bore.......:)
When shoot I don't kill… I immortalize!

Last edited:
no3 the bald eagle would be my pick with some good wing detail

Stan

what condor
Cheers Stan,I think they had about 6 of the Bald Eagles for the display.I guess they rotatated them.After flying across the arena a few times they would let it off,it then dissapeared up and out of sight over the the horizon.A good five minutes or so later the falconer gave a heads up and it just came down at breakneck speed.A couple more takes and a tighter crop of the first one.

455_531_zpsrelnbo6g.jpg

466_537_zps6k9lbvgs.jpg

467_585_zpsor2ukdzg.jpg

As much as I'm not a fan of this type of captive bird style shots, they are ok I suppose. Looks like that Bald Eagle must have been travelling pretty fast tho.

As much as I'm not a fan of this type of captive bird style shots, they are ok I suppose. Looks like that Bald Eagle must have been travelling pretty fast tho.

Cheers mate,yeh they certainly do not hang around,all hand held and without the aid of VR.Being biggish birds I could have taken a few shots of them just sat around looking gormless or perhaps just walking and hopping along,but where is the skill in that?These two obviously have the worst bg going but I like the look of them as much as the other ones.

504_609_zpsjujanhxh.jpg

505_549_zpsxindlzmr.jpg

Cheers mate,yeh they certainly do not hang around,all hand held and without the aid of VR.Being biggish birds I could have taken a few shots of them just sat around looking gormless or perhaps just walking and hopping along,but where is the skill in that?These two obviously have the worst bg going but I like the look of them as much as the other ones.

504_609_zpsjujanhxh.jpg

505_549_zpsxindlzmr.jpg

Yeh, I get what you mean. Some are a bit samey and repetitive. Always good to see something different albeit as I said, I'm not a great fan of captive bird shots.:(

Yeh, I get what you mean. Some are a bit samey and repetitive. Always good to see something different albeit as I said, I'm not a great fan of captive bird shots.:(

I do have mixed feelings about captive birds or any animal come to that,however these places exist and so long as the well being of the animals is first and foremost that is all we can wish for.I follow this guy on facebook,not sure if you ever seen the link I posted up in the nature section a couple of months or more back?Some great stuff from him and really would be the ideal situation to capture them. http://www.sassephoto.com/blog/about/

Last edited:
Hi Rich, on my moniter on the second lot of images, there seems to be a halo on numbers 1-3-4-and 5, and is particularly bad on no.1.

Hi Rich, on my moniter on the second lot of images, there seems to be a halo on numbers 1-3-4-and 5, and is particularly bad on no.1.

Thanks for your input Ron,yeh I did notice the Halo which seemed more prominent in the raw file, and for what diference it makes the sharpening was on default.Being quite bright I was obviously trying to avoid blowing the whites,perhaps a metering error on my part? I was still noticing the halo whilst editing and as you can see I brightened up the sky a bit on a couple of them,my own choice would to have kept it as dark as in the last pic just above ukpbz`s reply,as that was as near as it was on the day.With so much bright sky surrounding the bird I had to keep looking away and back again whilst editing,it got to the stage I wondered if I had got rid of it,but then looking again it seemed to be around the bird again.A quick selection > Inverse and a bit of cloning will sort that out though,cheers once again.

I note with interest, in the last two you have managed to retain the shadows under the bird. Was this quite deliberate?

I note with interest, in the last two you have managed to retain the shadows under the bird. Was this quite deliberate?

Yes it was Brian, did I do wrong?

No, no, not at all. Quite encouraging to see actually.

Thank you for your kind comments,coming from someone such as yourself I will take that as a compliment (y)

Rich I'm no bird photographer but I feel the last two are the best of the set, they give a sense of movement and scale. Love the shadow on the ground and the way the birds head is so level.

Rich I'm no bird photographer but I feel the last two are the best of the set, they give a sense of movement and scale. Love the shadow on the ground and the way the birds head is so level.

There are those that would say I ain`t no bird tog either Paul :D But thanks for stopping by and giving your thoughts.

Liking the last two flight shots Rich, WB and contrast look spot on :clap:

Liking the last two flight shots Rich, WB and contrast look spot on :clap:

Cheers Neil,anything is better than nothing to post up I suppose.What you and Brash don`t realise though, is that I had to queue up for a long time before I got these shots :confused:

A wonderful set of the Eagle Rich.
Hope you got a tan as well whilst you were away.;)

A wonderful set of the Eagle Rich.
Hope you got a tan as well whilst you were away.;)

Cheers Paul,yeh bloody right I did,well as tanned as you can get sipping on Pina Coladas by the sea :D

Rich, I have the same thoughts about captive displays,mind it means little to me in this case really but I think you did really well. I'm learning mate but have struggled so much with blowing highlights on red kites heads,it seems like your challenge was far greater darker body lighter head(cough sunshine cough),captive or otherwise,I bloody admire the skillset kiddo!!

Rich Brash's observation is interesting to me ,can you tell me a bit more about the shadows under the wings and how you got so much detail here please. I'm learning kiddo had to ask,it's that last shot,does the bird being so close to the ground help at all with reflected light? Sorry mate, bloody curious soul, I am, when trying to get better at something!! Rich I've little post skills and only DPP at this time so if this is to do with post I might not be able to keep up terribly well,I figure I need to get somewhere near in camera first and focus on that stage at this time

Take care kiddo cracking pics

Stu

Rich, I have the same thoughts about captive displays,mind it means little to me in this case really but I think you did really well. I'm learning mate but have struggled so much with blowing highlights on red kites heads,it seems like your challenge was far greater darker body lighter head(cough sunshine cough),captive or otherwise,I bloody admire the skillset kiddo!!

Rich Brash's observation is interesting to me ,can you tell me a bit more about the shadows under the wings and how you got so much detail here please. I'm learning kiddo had to ask,it's that last shot,does the bird being so close to the ground help at all with reflected light? Sorry mate, bloody curious soul, I am, when trying to get better at something!! Rich I've little post skills and only DPP at this time so if this is to do with post I might not be able to keep up terribly well,I figure I need to get somewhere near in camera first and focus on that stage at this time

Take care kiddo cracking pics

Stu
Cheers Stu,there was a pretty large arena for the display and not being too busy I was able to pick my spot and move about accordingly.The first show was at 11.00am so the sun was as good as overhead,the other show was at 4pm which I also took a few shots of on the way out back to the coach.One minute it was clear Blue sky and the next minute light cloud was blowing in off of the mountains.I did think this would be a bit of a problem with regards to metering but all in all it kind of worked out ok.I still kept with an iso of my choice and not auto that quite a few people prefer,neither right or wrong when it comes to things like that anyhow.With regards to exposure I have always had a tendancy to underexpose slightly in any given situation,again a lot say go to the right,I never had much problem with this method even with the 7D,but the D750 is far better at pulling it back if it comes out underexposed more than I intended.Here is one that is just the raw file converted to Jpeg and resized for TP,no sharpening, cropping or anything else.If you need a hand with editing Stu then do not be worried about posting a picture up and asking for help,even if you think the shot is a complete dud ;) We all had to start and learn somewhere.

example_zpsplrtkgas.jpg

Good advice.

Cheers Stu,there was a pretty large arena for the display and not being too busy I was able to pick my spot and move about accordingly.The first show was at 11.00am so the sun was as good as overhead,the other show was at 4pm which I also took a few shots of on the way out back to the coach.One minute it was clear Blue sky and the next minute light cloud was blowing in off of the mountains.I did think this would be a bit of a problem with regards to metering but all in all it kind of worked out ok.I still kept with an iso of my choice and not auto that quite a few people prefer,neither right or wrong when it comes to things like that anyhow.With regards to exposure I have always had a tendancy to underexpose slightly in any given situation,again a lot say go to the right,I never had much problem with this method even with the 7D,but the D750 is far better at pulling it back if it comes out underexposed more than I intended.Here is one that is just the raw file converted to Jpeg and resized for TP,no sharpening, cropping or anything else.If you need a hand with editing Stu then do not be worried about posting a picture up and asking for help,even if you think the shot is a complete dud ;) We all had to start and learn somewhere.

example_zpsplrtkgas.jpg

example_zpsplrtkgas.jpg
Hi Rich thanks for the time first of all, and the kind help. I think it was Gaz whom also mentioned he tends to underexpose slightly. I've always tried to expose to the right,my reading says this might capture the most info in the digital domain(raw capture however this is best put),but, maybe i'm pushing it a bit too far. I've always been concerned about adding noise which by definition was has too when boosting an exposure. But of course with little idea about noise reduction in post I have no real concept on what can be recovered or for that matter noise reduction it's self. One of the guys here did a bit of noise reduction for me on a pic of a fallow fawn,a real eye opener for me.

It's very interesting to hear your thoughts on this mate.!! Rich did you recover those shadows under the wings in post, in the bold eagle pic we were musing? Spoonbill exposure looks spot on to me mate,but naturally at this stage in my learning, there is a caviat to that statement. I'm shooting in manual Rich,I can see the appeal of auto iso,but I think i'm learning more by making mistakes than maybe I would if I let the camera do more of the work. As you say no real rights or wrongs,just feeling my way and trying to get my head around what a camera of this caliber can do . Ha I'm loving it mate even if I do curse alot at my ineptitude. I'm very focused of some spotty wild deer at the mo. Rich,so you bird guys are not seeing much from me,but I'll get there! I'm just hoping to finally get in on a fallow rut so what little time I have is being directed there.

Cheers for the encouraging words on help with post Rich ,don't worry this side of it will come in time i'm not worried so much about showing a duff image or kudos or harsh words nowt like that. I have recently upgraded to a 1Div from a 550D,so i'm just trying to plod along slow and thorough and get the best raw capture I can with my given ability. Obviously, a new camera and such an upgrade is a bloody big learning curve in it's self,so i'm trying not to ask too much of the old grey matter and sort of learn step by step. I feel I can come back to post,but I would prefer folks giving me their time and help to at least have something half decent to work with, least ways half decent for me.It sort of seems polite to try and make an effort if one is going to ask for help from folks whom have already done alot of the leg work,if that makes sense

Many thanks kiddo,i'm a bit of a tortoise def not a hare so it's the slow and steady approach for me.

Take care

Stu

Hi Rich thanks for the time first of all, and the kind help. I think it was Gaz whom also mentioned he tends to underexpose slightly. I've always tried to expose to the right,my reading says this might capture the most info in the digital domain(raw capture however this is best put),but, maybe i'm pushing it a bit too far. I've always been concerned about adding noise which by definition was has too when boosting an exposure. But of course with little idea about noise reduction in post I have no real concept on what can be recovered or for that matter noise reduction it's self. One of the guys here did a bit of noise reduction for me on a pic of a fallow fawn,a real eye opener for me.

It's very interesting to hear your thoughts on this mate.!! Rich did you recover those shadows under the wings in post, in the bold eagle pic we were musing? Spoonbill exposure looks spot on to me mate,but naturally at this stage in my learning, there is a caviat to that statement. I'm shooting in manual Rich,I can see the appeal of auto iso,but I think i'm learning more by making mistakes than maybe I would if I let the camera do more of the work. As you say no real rights or wrongs,just feeling my way and trying to get my head around what a camera of this caliber can do . Ha I'm loving it mate even if I do curse alot at my ineptitude. I'm very focused of some spotty wild deer at the mo. Rich,so you bird guys are not seeing much from me,but I'll get there! I'm just hoping to finally get in on a fallow rut so what little time I have is being directed there.

Cheers for the encouraging words on help with post Rich ,don't worry this side of it will come in time i'm not worried so much about showing a duff image or kudos or harsh words nowt like that. I have recently upgraded to a 1Div from a 550D,so i'm just trying to plod along slow and thorough and get the best raw capture I can with my given ability. Obviously, a new camera and such an upgrade is a bloody big learning curve in it's self,so i'm trying not to ask too much of the old grey matter and sort of learn step by step. I feel I can come back to post,but I would prefer folks giving me their time and help to at least have something half decent to work with, least ways half decent for me.It sort of seems polite to try and make an effort if one is going to ask for help from folks whom have already done alot of the leg work,if that makes sense

Many thanks kiddo,i'm a bit of a tortoise def not a hare so it's the slow and steady approach for me.

Take care

Stu

Congrats on your purchase Stu,I am sure you will soon get to grips with it and know it inside out.To be honest I know very little about any of it and there are plenty on here with far more experience than myself.As proven I can produce crap pics from time to time up with the best of them :D Still getting my head around Nikon`s NEF images with regards to processing, but Iike to think I am chipping away at it slowly,since the heart attacks my thought process seems to work against me most of the time and things seem to take a lot longer to sink in so to speak.I will however say I miss the Canon glass I had previously,I just feel the 400mm was giving me much better results than the Nikon 300 which I have now.With regards to the shadows on the two eagle shots,they are pretty much as they came out of camera.

Nice Spoonbill Rich i've never seen one, i don't think they are hard enough to land this far north :D

Back