A few from the TP Iceland trip

Name
Rich
Not had to much of a chance to go through the 2500-3000 shots I had taken whilst away so I have only managed to edit a few so far.

All I can say is that Iceland has to be the most amazing place I have visited and some of the sights I have seen where beyond anything I have seen before. None more so that the Kp8 Aurora on our second to last day which has to be the most breath taking thing my eyes have ever witnessed.

The first image is of the infamous DC3 Dakota wreckage on the black beach.
Dakota by evorichie101, on Flickr

Skogafoss waterfall. What a challenge this was to shoot. So much spray coming from the falls that long exposures were near impossible. Managed a few at 2-3 seconds (just) but out of 100 shots, 90 were ruined with water on the lens.
Skogafoss in bloom by evorichie101, on Flickr

The ice beach!!. What a place this is. Managed to kill my Zeiss lens here by getting a wave over my gear!!!. So busy with photographers and again, I real challenge to shoot due to spray and rogue waves (a few got caught out with more than a boot full of water)
Crystal Clear by evorichie101, on Flickr

ICE by evorichie101, on Flickr

Possibly my favourite image of the trip. taken on Vic beach during one of only 2 sunsets we were able to witness.
Sunset Stroll by evorichie101, on Flickr

And finally. I took over 350 images on this night and have not yet had the chance to look at many so this was the one I selected to edit and use so far. Taken at Gullfoss falls. the colours in this pic are true to life and I for one had never seen such a spectrum appear in any aurora pics.
Gullfoss Aurora by evorichie101, on Flickr

That's an amazing set, the aurora particularly, I rather like the mini rainbow too! (y)

Great images Rich, sorry to hear about your Zeiss.
Is the Dakota reachable by 4x4 only?
I'm off there in 10 days, very excited.

Wow. ...amazing set.
Tough choice but I love the ice shots.

What a super set of pics there. Sunset is lovely as they all are, though the 2 top ones for me are of the ice beach. Really must get there one day.
That's an amazing set, the aurora particularly, I rather like the mini rainbow too! (y)
Great images Rich, sorry to hear about your Zeiss.
Is the Dakota reachable by 4x4 only?
I'm off there in 10 days, very excited.
Wow. ...amazing set.
Tough choice but I love the ice shots.

Thank you all. Appreciate the kind comments :).

@NeilA1975 there is a sign on the main road that says that it 4x4 only but to be honest. It's a bit bumpy but nothing a 2wd car couldn't handle!!!. It's quite a way off the main road too so unless you fancy a long walk then I would go by car.

Very nice pictures Rich. I think it's difficult to do the country justice but you have come close.

Very nice pictures Rich. I think it's difficult to do the country justice but you have come close.
Haha. Cheers Chris :). I really don't think there is anything my camera could create to come close to what the eyes can see when your there. Really is a truly outstanding place that I shall be returning to many many times :)

Reactions: Nod
That's a greatsetRich and there's probably lots more from your other shots to come too.

The couple and sunset contrasts nicely with all the other shots you see from Iceland. I love the aurora do the ice beach. In fact I love them all.

Really want to go to Iceland one day but need to save a few ££££ as it won't be cheap!

Absolutely cracking set Rich, quite jealous of all of them. if I had to be picky, main gripe would be the first, the Dakota is a bit too central for my liking, would liked to have seen a bit more scenery in that for context, but apart from that, great stuff. The sunset and Aurora are stunning and need printing!!

That's a greatsetRich and there's probably lots more from your other shots to come too.

The couple and sunset contrasts nicely with all the other shots you see from Iceland. I love the aurora do the ice beach. In fact I love them all.

Really want to go to Iceland one day but need to save a few ££££ as it won't be cheap!
Cheers :). The whole thing actually worked out cheaper than I anticipated. You can live pretty cheaply out there this time of year with guest houses for only £30-£40 a night (and they are nice). Car hire and fuel was the biggest expense but we had a Toyota land cruiser so we could battle any weather or terrain. Food was as cheap or as expensive as you wanted to make it really!!!

Absolutely cracking set Rich, quite jealous of all of them. if I had to be picky, main gripe would be the first, the Dakota is a bit too central for my liking, would liked to have seen a bit more scenery in that for context, but apart from that, great stuff. The sunset and Aurora are stunning and need printing!!
Thank you :).
Tbh. I fired off the shots of the Dakota pretty sharpish as it was the only 1 minute we had that sort of grey but bright light which gave it some atmosphere. I had a lot better composed images but the light just seemed to flat in them. We went back about 5 days later and it was really grey and flat so didn't hardly bother with the camera.

Fantastic stuff Rich. Having seen them on your laptop already, I knew they were going to be good, but viewing them on the big screen here they look superb. As well as being fantastic photos and eye candy for the rest of the forum, they remind me of some of the fantastic locations that we visited and I can only hope that some of mine are half as good. :)

FWIW, I particularly like the ones on the ice beach. Those blues!! And the couple walking towards the sunset is a great capture.

Fantastic stuff Rich. Having seen them on your laptop already, I knew they were going to be good, but viewing them on the big screen here they look superb. As well as being fantastic photos and eye candy for the rest of the forum, they remind me of some of the fantastic locations that we visited and I can only hope that some of mine are half as good. :)

FWIW, I particularly like the ones on the ice beach. Those blues!! And the couple walking towards the sunset is a great capture.
Cheers Gaz :). Looking forward to seeing your images mate. Still got massive respect for the fact you stuck to your guns and shot Film only during the day. I'm sure you'll be rewarded with some beauties :).

Has to be said that I really can't wait to go back. Already been looking at flights and car hire. I can feel it won't be long before I return :D

All good but the ice shots and the aurora are the standout ones for me.

Worth the repair bill, Rich! Cracking set.

Neil, as Rich said, the Dakota is down a track marked 4x4 only but with care you could probably get there (and back!) in a normal car. BUT, if you got stuck or pranged it, you would NOT be insured in a 2WD vehicle.

I can vouch for the less than perfect light we had (or rather didn't have!) on the days we were in the locality - will definitely revisit it if the light's better when we go back.

A cracking set love the aurora but all very nice

Neil, as Rich said, the Dakota is down a track marked 4x4 only but with care you could probably get there (and back!) in a normal car. BUT, if you got stuck or pranged it, you would NOT be insured in a 2WD vehicle.

I can vouch for the less than perfect light we had (or rather didn't have!) on the days we were in the locality - will definitely revisit it if the light's better when we go back.
Cheers guys :)

I'm heading out in morning for a sunrise Llyn Y Dywarchen/Nantlle, hope you have a safe return.
Cheers Kevin :) Just went for a little drive around through Snowdonia. Light was quite nice but couldn't find anything that really appealed to me, think I was spoilt in Iceland lol. Might head out in the morning. See if I can drag my butt out of bed. Still got thousands of pics to go through from last week but I much prefer getting out and taking them :)

The more I see of Iceland, the more I really want to go:)
Very envious of your trip and great shots.

Cheers Nod. Missus has already said 'we're not driving that car down there!'. Investigating the 4x4 costs - seems a shame to go there and drive right past it.

Cheers Nod. Missus has already said 'we're not driving that car down there!'. Investigating the 4x4 costs - seems a shame to go there and drive right past it.

4x4s aren't cheap (or economical on fuel!) but do allow you to get to places a "normal" car won't. If you're going when there's likely to be ice/compacted snow on the road, it's worth specifying studded tyres - they work! We had a Toyota LandCruiser but needed something that big to carry 4 people with luggage and camera bags so for 2, you could definitely get away with something smaller (and a bit cheaper!) Think about the extra insurances available - again, not cheap but one of the 3 vehicles in our group did a windscreen - and it wasn't covered so cost them several hundred quid...

(Sorry for the slight hijack, Rich.)

Excellent pictures mate! (y)

Stunning pictures. My favourite has to be the Aurora, such a variety of colours and so clear. I'm back to Iceland for the second time in May but don't think it'll be the last!

Stunning pictures. My favourite has to be the Aurora, such a variety of colours and so clear. I'm back to Iceland for the second time in May but don't think it'll be the last!
Cheers Sarah :)

I don't think I could get bored of the place tbh. We didn't have many hours of good light so I really want to get to the glaciers and ice beaches for a good sunrise/sunset :)

Cheers Sarah :)

I don't think I could get bored of the place tbh. We didn't have many hours of good light so I really want to get to the glaciers and ice beaches for a good sunrise/sunset :)

I feel the same way Rich, we went in late October last year so were there for the first snow of the year. Then we go in May and will hopefully spot Puffins and to see the landscape in Spring, but I do feel like I need to see it in Winter again - I mean having not seen the Aurora last time it would be a waste not to try again!

I think that the landscapes will look so different depending on the season that there will always be something new to see.

I feel the same way Rich, we went in late October last year so were there for the first snow of the year. Then we go in May and will hopefully spot Puffins and to see the landscape in Spring, but I do feel like I need to see it in Winter again - I mean having not seen the Aurora last time it would be a waste not to try again!

I think that the landscapes will look so different depending on the season that there will always be something new to see.
We were so lucky to have been there through the Kp8 aurora activity so I almost feel like it may be a let down next time we see them so I am happy to be there when the weather is better to see the sunrise and sunset and some flora in full bloom. There is no denying that the stunning contrast of the blacks an whites with the volcanic terrain covered by snow Is simply beautiful though. I have a feeling I shall be visiting many more times at every time of the year anyhow :)

Back