A few from this morning

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Was windy which didnt help and trying to keep an eye on the dog and the time as it was approaching 8am (although I was up at 6am, didnt leave the house until gone 7am). I didnt pay too much attention to my surroundings and probably passed a lot of bugs without even realising it. I need to get up earlier and actually leave the house!

Usual kit, 600d, sigma 105mm macro +DCR250 + pringles tube flash setup

1.. no dcr on this capture
_MG_0121 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

2.. again, no DCR used on this shot. A layered gradient on soft light about 50% opacity and some dynamic contrast using perfect effects 9
_MG_0048 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

3.. Due to the wind, I just sprayed and prayed but thankfully two shots came into focus, one of the stamen and one of the hover so I stacked the two shots to get this:
2-shot stack by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0056 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

5.. Found this hover(?) inside a buttercup, covered in pollen, greedy little sod
_MG_0076 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Thanks for popping in

#1 the center of the fairies is blown on a number of them lost a lot of intricate detail plus crop and background is a bit of a mess.

#2 is fantastic and my favorite from the set.... great colours and styling bokehilous

Onto the bugs...

Detail focus and colours are all nailed composition is a little lacking but I can see what you are trying to do

#3 I would go for square tight crop around hover and the centre of the flower as there is just nothing going on the rhs and just makes it distracting

#4 crop is a little too tight on this one.

#5 Very central which might have worked if you got the top of the flower in :D

#2 is definitely wall art... something to hang up in your toilet :D

Cheers bud - haha, not sure about hanging up in the toilet, though the one the missus has up in there could do with a refresh. Need to get something having a poop like your snail image and stick that in there, would just suit it perfectly :)

Cheers bud - haha, not sure about hanging up in the toilet, though the one the missus has up in there could do with a refresh. Need to get something having a poop like your snail image and stick that in there, would just suit it perfectly :)
You are welcome to use the rather handsome Oil Beetle Larvae eating and pooing I shot Carl ;)

Nice set by the way, lovely detail throughout, No2 is definitely my favourite though!

I think both #2 and #3 worked out very well.

Super clarity in #3 and absolutely complete focus coverage of the hoverfly. Excellent.

I very much like the overall effect of #2, although I'm never very keen on OOF elements in the front. It's nicely handled here, but it still gets in the way a bit for me.

I can see Bryn's point about the tightness of the crop at the top of #4. If I was going to crop that tight at the top I would be inclined to chop a bit more off of the right hand side, to make the subject quite "top corner-ish", appearing to look down along the diagonal formed by the leaves. As a matter of interest, did you crop along the top or is that the edge of the as-shot frame? (Of course, if you did crop along the top the thing that neither Bryn nor I know is what might have been just above that line which perhaps needed to be kept out of the image.)

Nice set of images Carl, with some very fine detail. If I had to choose my two favs' would be #2, & #3.(y)

George.

Agree with Bryn really like no 2 youve got the background spot on nice colours and nicely out of focus

Cheers all, I dont normally like to do the flower shots (unless its a flower I havent photographed) because after you've done one dandelion, you've done it, so to speak) but there isnt much about - though its a lot more than a month ago. Hopefully it'll start warming up at some point - when is summer anyway? It doesnt seemed to arrived here yet :(

I dont normally like to do the flower shots (unless its a flower I havent photographed) because after you've done one dandelion, you've done it, so to speak)

You are not doing it right then... ;)

See how you have nailed #2 there are many many more angles to be had and lighting situations then after that a tonne more PP options.... (y)

Back