A few from Today's Local Rugby (Now with a D7200)

A few from the cup finals at Gloucester Kingsholm Stadium

Matson 27 V 10 Chosen Hill Cup-62 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Some big hits went in to this one

Matson 27 V 10 Chosen Hill Cup-77 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Team Photo of the 2nd team

Matson 27 V 10 Chosen Hill Cup-4 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

One of the 3rd team

Matson 21 V 16 Widden Old Boys Cup -83 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

And to top it all the oldest guy on the pitch put the youngest to shame and score a try :)

Matson 21 V 16 Widden Old Boys Cup -96 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Last edited:
cracking shots , remember you can use the 1.3 extra crop factor
i can remember seeing another togs pics who used to cover rugby but his do not come anywhere near the excellent quality of yours

Hi Holty I was quiet pleased as I had a freelance tog next to me (Local Paper) and he missed No1 :)

Had a great day at Kingsholm stadium, once I made myself known to security I had the run of the place :)

Why thank you Raincloud, I've only been shooting the last season & have tried to take on board the helpful tips that
Have given on TP and with comments like that I think I may be getting better :)

I know from the clubs (2) They are over the moon and even putting them on the
Big screen at there presentation on Friday,

but Rugby players aren't Photogragher :)

Last edited:
These are ok, nothing particularly special or interesting, you actually have a number of better ones on your Flickr page (once they're cropped properly and straightened).

1 is good, shame we can't see the expression on the player being tackled.

2 is a throw-away. Where is the ball, what's happening? Just looks like a bunch of players tripping over themselves.

3 Kingsholm really is terrible for billboards

4 Good pic, looks a little soft though

5 Decent try pic

Don't bother taking the backs of players running with the ball. Only on rare occasions does that work. Focus on players coming towards you. And crop tight, no one wants to see pics with an entire empty stand behind the player.

This pic for example, crop tight where the action is. The player on the right is of no importance whatsoever and is just distracting.

17316446558_8a7437f2e2_z.jpg

These are ok, nothing particularly special or interesting, you actually have a number of better ones on your Flickr page (once they're cropped properly and straightened).

1 is good, shame we can't see the expression on the player being tackled.
I was lucky enough just to get this the other Pro tog missed altogether, I know what your saying it would of been nice

2 is a throw-away. Where is the ball, what's happening? Just looks like a bunch of players tripping over themselves.
Not in the eye's of the players themselves this is what Bar banter is built on. :) but point noted

3 Kingsholm really is terrible for billboards
Yep

4 Good pic, looks a little soft though
I seem to be having a problem one day spot on / one day slightly soft, not sure if the VC is causing it, as it was on in this game

5 Decent try pic
:)

Last edited:
Why would you use vibration reduction for rugby? You're shooting at 1/1000+ you don't need VC.

Also don't be scared to zoom out a little for try shots. Pic 5 would have also looked good with the players looking down at the try scorer rather than a bunch of bodies cut in half.

View attachment 37425

I'd probably go for this crop, though I think your original is ok too, I hate to crop half way through a body but sometimes with rugby I think you have to, with the action being on the ground a lot and not everybody around being on the floor too, it's inevitable.

Last edited:
View attachment 37425

I'd probably go for this crop, though I think your original is ok too, I hate to crop half way through a body but sometimes with rugby I think you have to, with the action being on the ground a lot and not everybody around being on the floor too, it's inevitable.

I had cropped the same as you on the frst attempt, but decided on a closer crop to make the old guy standout and try and given more
Impact. But everybody has a different feel for what they want out of the image :)

I had cropped the same as you on the frst attempt, but decided on a closer crop to make the old guy standout and try and given more
Impact. But everybody has a different feel for what they want out of the image :)

Yea, I agree that that is definitely the main area of interest. Fair play to the bloke getting over the line amongst all that lot!

Did not twig it was in VC until looking at the data after normal default is off :-(

And this is the original shot.

How would others of cropped the image below, my photo are up to be edited

file735 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Matson 21 V 16 Widden Old Boys Cup -96 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr
Shaun, whilst your cropped version might focus in on the direct action the full size version is the one to use, this is also what i would submit to newsdesks, give the picture editor some choice as to crop where he wants to crop, he may even choose to use a portrait crop due to print layout restraints

Shaun, whilst your cropped version might focus in on the direct action the full size version is the one to use, this is also what i would submit to newsdesks, give the picture editor some choice as to crop where he wants to crop, he may even choose to use a portrait crop due to print layout restraints
I'm not quiet in your league yet Gary :) , most of the photos go to the clubs & my Flickr page, with the odd one going to the local paper.

Point noted for the future if I every get that far.

Last edited:
I'm not quiet in your league yet Gary :) , most of the photos go to the clubs & my Flickr page, with the odd one going to the local paper.

Point noted for the future if I every get that far.
Ah sorry Shaun, i thought you were submitting regularly now, still, something to store at the back of the brain for future reference.

Who knows my name getting banded around the Local clubs in the Gloucester area & Gloucester Youth Academy :D

Back