A few images with my new Lens

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I recently bought my Canon 300 2.8 IS L and have taken a few images. Really happy with the lens, would like to buy the 1.4 extender for a bit more reach. I bought the lens to photograph a variety of wildlife. Here are some photographs I've taken so far.

If anyone has any constructive criticism that's welcome as I am new to Wildlife Photography.

Mallard by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Kingfisher by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Wren by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Robin by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

These are nice , the light and composition looks good to me , I use the Canon 300 2.8 , I rarely take the 2x converter off of it . If your subjects are going to be wildlife , I would advise you get the 2x first , people will disagree :) . The 1.4 performs very well , but you will need the reach of the 2x for most wildlife , unless you have exceptional field craft . My only criticism for these would be is they are a touch small in the frame . They are still nice photos , but just think if you had a 2x converter on , these would be double the size , I tend to stop down to F7.1 or F8 with the 2x converter fitted , though you can get good results wide open . Well done so far , these are a nice set of photos .

Reactions: smr
The Wren works particularly well in its environment, I like it ... Kingfisher & Robin also nice but could do with losing a little of the negative space (right and bottom resectively). :)

I have the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS and the 1.4x extender. It was one of my favourite lenses but, as you suggest wildlife needs something longer. I never felt I could justify buying a 500mm f2.8 ;).

Dave

I'd say these are a damn good start Joel!

Nice and sharp, good light and nice foreground/subject/background separation. The subjects are perhaps a little small in the frame and there is maybe a little too much negative space as others have said. Personally I prefer my subject a little higher in the frame too but very generally very nice :)

In general, a very good set, common birds but nicely presented,

Number 1 really needs some more space adding below for the 'virtual feet', otherwise very nice

2 is spot on - loose composition is good with the kingy nicely framed between the branches and the prey item is a big bonus.

3 Nothing but positives from me. Loosly framed, yes, but the environment is lovely and the head turn finishes the shot off

For the last, its the weakest of the bunch for me, too much foreground mush, and whilst it might work sd a magazine shot with text overlaid, as a stand alone it doesn't quite hold my attention.

Excellent work though, hope to see more

Mike

Joel buy the mark iii exts both of them...there's a slight so slight hit iq wise with the 1.4 a bit more with the 2X buy them both

AF speed might be a bigger concern, though, depending on your body

I've used the 300 with a 550D and 1Div, the sheer grunt of the bigger body made the 2X much more usable. I tend to shoot mammals Joel they aren't quite the same niche as little fast feathered things The 2X gives you reach but it comes with caviats.tool for a job :)

Don't get hung up on close the wren is a fabulous image

Agreed more please

my friend uses the Canon 300 2.8 ,He rarely take the 2x converter off of his 5Dmkiv he loves it
nice set images Love the wren

Very nice set- as said a x2 Teleconverter would open up a lot of possiblities

Les :)

Back