A few macro photos from the garden and house

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice set David the PP could be bit better like has happened before mate.

Nice set David the PP could be bit better like has happened before mate.
How would you improve it? To be honest I think sometimes my PP would be better if I did less.
Saying that I think the fly needs more work, I might try again, a shame that these are so hard to photograph, I see them when I am cleaning my teeth and they fly away when I go to get my camera.
I will have to put something on the radio one day and try really hard to get them.

How would you improve it? To be honest I think sometimes my PP would be better if I did less.
Saying that I think the fly needs more work, I might try again, a shame that these are so hard to photograph, I see them when I am cleaning my teeth and they fly away when I go to get my camera.
I will have to put something on the radio one day and try really hard to get them.

Show us an unprocessed shot and lets see what has happened,
They need a bit more contrast IMO waht software do you use? I tend to reduce contrast control highlights and shadows in Lightroom and increase the contrast and sharpen in Photoshop.

Show us an unprocessed shot and lets see what has happened,
They need a bit more contrast IMO waht software do you use? I tend to reduce contrast control highlights and shadows in Lightroom and increase the contrast and sharpen in Photoshop.
A good idea, I use darktable
Caterpillar no PP apart from a stack
Caterpillar by davholla2002, on Flickr
PP with looking at contrast

Caterpillar by davholla2002, on Flickr

Fly no PP to be honest I don't think this is that great a shot, although considering how difficult it is, it is not too bad
Fly IMG_0533 by davholla2002, on Flickr
more PP
Fly IMG_0533 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Mite with springtail no PP
Mite EF7A0493 by davholla2002, on Flickr

lots PP
Mite EF7A0493 by davholla2002, on Flickr

I was going to post these last night but flickr was a bit strange and would not let me.

Nice set David. Great behaviour shot with the mite. Well done with the springtail. I find that sort rather difficult because (apart from the size of course!) they are rather shiny and it is easy to get nasty highlights. I think you did well with that one.

As to the PP, I ran them through a couple of my presets - a preset for JPEGs that I use in DXO PhotoLab and then the Auto Settings function in Lightroom Classic. As always, exactly how they look best is a very personal matter. In this case I haven't tweaked them at all after applying the presets.

Hopefully these will show as animations switching back and forth between the no PP and the preset PP versions.

NOT MY IMAGE - davholla fly_DxO LR7 1000w
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

NOT MY IMAGE - davholla mite 1000w

NOT MY IMAGE - davholla woodlouse stack 1000w

NOT MY IMAGE - davholla caterpillar 1000w

NOT MY IMAGE - davholla springtail 1000w

Nice set David. Great behaviour shot with the mite. Well done with the springtail. I find that sort rather difficult because (apart from the size of course!) they are rather shiny and it is easy to get nasty highlights. I think you did well with that one.

As to the PP, I ran them through a couple of my presets - a preset for JPEGs that I use in DXO PhotoLab and then the Auto Settings function in Lightroom Classic. As always, exactly how they look best is a very personal matter. In this case I haven't tweaked them at all after applying the presets.
That is clever what does the preset do? What modules does it use? Why do you use DXO and Lightroom?

That is clever what does the preset do? What modules does it use?

I have developed a number of presets for DXO. I have a single one for JPEGs, the rest for raw, which is what I usually use for my own photos.

I obviously used the JPEG preset for your images. That uses (quotes from the embedded help in DXO):
  • DXO Smart Lighting, which "optimizes the dynamic range by unblocking shadows and/or recovering highlights. This correction is most efficient with RAW images"
  • DXO Clearview, which "lets you improve the contrast and sharpness of your images by removing the effects of atmospheric haze or fog" (but I find it of wider use than that)
  • Microcontrast adjustment, which "enhances or softens very small details. Particularly useful for textured images, or to compensate for a lack of sharpness"
  • Noise reduction
  • Chromatic aberration reduction
From JPEGs I produce TIFF files from DXO and open them in Lightroom.

For raw files I have sets of ISO-specific presets, one set for my small sensor cameras and one set for my micro four thirds and APS-C cameras. All the presets in a set do the same thing except that the noise reduction is turned up as ISO increases. They use the same settings as above for JPEG, except that they use a better form of noise reduction, DXO's Prime noise reduction, which only works on raw images.

In addition, with raw DXO can take account of camera/sensor and lens characteristics (based on laboratory tests that DXO do on cameras and lenses - so it only works for equipment that DXO have tested - which is everything that I use as it happens). In particular I use:
  • Lens sharpness, which "lets you increase the sharpness of your lens automatically".
  • Distortion, which "lets you correct geometric distortion introduced by the lens (i.e. straight lines curving)."
From raw I produce DNG file from DXO and open them in Lightroom (or Silkypix, and then from there as TIFF in Lightroom).

There are parameters you can alter for most or all of these adjustments and by experimenting I have settled on parameter values that suit my equipment/visual taste etc. In most (perhaps all) cases I have chosen a value for the main "Amount" parameter and left the others alone.

The Auto Settings preset in Lightroom is a single, generic preset. It has a poor reputation in earlier versions of Lightroom. In the current version it has been updated and is now apparently based on AI derived from loads of edits made by professionals on their images. This new version has received a mixed response, some people saying that it is still useless. My experience is that it has proved extremely useful in my workflow. Quite often now all I do after applying these presets is to crop, and otherwise the changes I make are generally very simple, straightforward and quick, unless there are particular issues with an image that need detailed local adjustments.

Why do you use DXO and Lightroom?

They are good at different things, and I can get better (more pleasing to my eye) results using them in combination than I can by using them alone.

For my own invertebrate images, working from raw, I also use a preset in Silkypix, so the sequence is DXO > Silkypix > Lightroom. That doesn't work well for JPEGs, so I just use DXO then Lightroom. For flowers and general purpose images I most often use DXO > Lightroom, but sometimes use Silkypix when there are difficult highlights to deal with, as Silkypix is particularly good for that. It also adds extra detail visibility for my invertebrate images.

Thanks for that, I will try to do the same when I have sometime (It might not be some time as my wife has fractured her fibula - a bone in the leg) and so I am very busy now, so have no free time for anything. Hopefully Easter I will have a chance to do some photography - I want to look for Caprainea marginata a rare springtail which has been seen near where I live

Thanks for that, I will try to do the same when I have sometime (It might not be some time as my wife has fractured her fibula - a bone in the leg) and so I am very busy now, so have no free time for anything. Hopefully Easter I will have a chance to do some photography - I want to look for Caprainea marginata a rare springtail which has been seen near where I live

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I hope she is back to normal before too long.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I hope she is back to normal before too long.
Thank you it is another month or so - sadly it happened on the first time that she accompanied me to Rainham Marshes for about a year.

Back