A few more

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly I'd like to thank you folks here for the encouragement and insights I've gained since I first snapped the Bee Wolf images and got sucked into this place.

I'm now poorer, have gotten behind with a heap of stuff I was supposed to have been doing, and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning how frustrating macro photography can be.
I've outgrown the garden unless something unusual visits, and then resorted to having one last go at the flies in an effort to get a little more in the picture than simply a clear shot of a fly.
A little more thought about how an image might take on my own style of shooting in terms of how I want to present the creatures I've been photographing. I'm artistic and want to employ that with macro.
It's become obvious that I can't rely upon the daylight all the time and I'm playing around with lighting while not forgetting that a well lit natural light shot is likely to appear quite pleasing if all the other variables are nailed.

I will endeavor to broaden my subject selection by getting out to where I might find something I'd like to shoot, and of course remain almost envious in respect of what's posted by those who have more skill and experience.
In actuality it's great to see images which I wish I'd taken because it focuses my intent and allows me to see that I'm not in the same ball park yet.

A few shots which kind of do what I intended.

View attachment 108843

View attachment 108844

View attachment 108845

I like these, I know what you mean it's quite addictive this macro/close up stuff.
I don't have a dedicated Macro lens (only extension tubes), but still like to have a mooch around the garden to see what I can find.

The first bluebottle shot is superb
The second could do with the highlights reduced and good on you for getting in close to the carion fo the last shot.

Love the first one, it's got an almost surreal look.

#3, bleugh. I was eating my lunch! ;-)
All good shots though, which lens did you use for these. Always like to know the technical details, OCD maybe?
Matt

I like these, I know what you mean it's quite addictive this macro/close up stuff.
I don't have a dedicated Macro lens (only extension tubes), but still like to have a mooch around the garden to see what I can find.

Thank you for taking a look Dominic, and good luck with getting some nice shots with your tubes, I'm sure with a little ingenuity you can get some great images using that method.

The first bluebottle shot is superb
The second could do with the highlights reduced and good on you for getting in close to the carion fo the last shot.

Thanks Alf for taking a look I've tamed shot two a little, and will take a better look at it when I get a little more time. Work is busy this week so less camera and edit time :) much appreciated.
Love the first one, it's got an almost surreal look.
Thank you Paul, appreciate you taking time to have look and commenting.

#3, bleugh. I was eating my lunch! ;-)
All good shots though, which lens did you use for these. Always like to know the technical details, OCD maybe?
Matt

Nothing wrong with a little OCD Matt, it's a great motivator, I should know :) I used the Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro lens, only had it a few days and thus far very happy with it and will trying it for humans in the near future.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Tim

View attachment 108939

Thank you Paul, appreciate you taking time to have look and commenting.

Not a problem, you're certainly finding your feet with your new glass.

I need to create a decent flash diffuser when I get some time, hopefully will give me a better chance of a good shot.

Insects are awesome to look at, just imagine how terrifying they would be if they were the size of a dog!

These are getting good. Excellent detail in the first two, but the third stands out for me as something different, and very good - a super combination of subjects put into a (to my eye) great composition. Very nicely done with the crop. The fine detail doesn't stand out in the way it does in the first two but to me that doesn't matter - the other aspects lift it above the ordinary for me.

Not a problem, you're certainly finding your feet with your new glass.

I need to create a decent flash diffuser when I get some time, hopefully will give me a better chance of a good shot.

Insects are awesome to look at, just imagine how terrifying they would be if they were the size of a dog!

Yes Paul, flash diffusion that's an art form all on its own when photographing shiny body parts close up. I imagine it's something that's going to frustrate us all along the way.
It would have been cool back in prehistoric times when there were some were pretty large formidable insects compared with today's offerings. Good luck with your flash diffuser.

These are getting good. Excellent detail in the first two, but the third stands out for me as something different, and very good - a super combination of subjects put into a (to my eye) great composition. Very nicely done with the crop. The fine detail doesn't stand out in the way it does in the first two but to me that doesn't matter - the other aspects lift it above the ordinary for me.

Thank you Nick, that's very encouraging. Really chuffed with your comments, especially about the third image. It's not an easy thing getting a number of aspects to work with an image and I really want to end up with a few which are just that little bit more than something one might use as a reference which mainly illustrates the form and detail. I'm sure there will be many more unremarkable images than ones which have the combination of the art and the craft combined but it's all a learning curve and I'm always happy to be shooting something.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Back