A few of my boxing favourites

Not a big fan of the over the ring approach.. What do you do when they end up in your corner ? :)

You've captured some good moments but the frames are far too wide and the composition is completely off in the fourth one. Literally 75% of the frame is useless (a room full of bored people barely watching), and the subject is out of focus anyway.

As KIPAX says the over the ring approach doesn't work, it's the same issue that plagues 99% of amateur photographers at sports events, get low, look up at your subject make them larger than life, not people to look down at.

Also a few of these need straightening, and cropping tighter. No one cares about a boxers' legs, get in close, all the action is from the waist up.

Your timing is good and you're right up in there, so you got that going for you. But they're right, you can't get too tight. It's tougher to shoot that way. Tougher to stay framed up. But unless you have a specific reason not to, you want to concentrate on the athletes and take away anything that doesn't contribute to that.

While that referee is an interesting-looking bloke, I'd lose him. You can't help it if he gets in the way, but you don't have to go chasing him.

I adopt the 'over the ring' approach as I have serious back problems and I would really struggle to do the 'up through the ropes', especially as this isn't my job and it's only for a local amateur club but all of the above is great advice (y):)

I adopt the 'over the ring' approach as I have serious back problems and I would really struggle to do the 'up through the ropes', especially as this isn't my job and it's only for a local amateur club but all of the above is great advice (y):)

Obviously we don't know about your back so we comments as we see things.... Every photogrpaher would give you the same response anywhere so maybe mention in advance your forced to over ropes position :) I do a fair bit of boxing and the unatural position of lower ropes (too high for a chair - too low to stand) always gives me back ache for a day or two after so anyone with existing problems will suffer.

You can still crop in more though...

it's only for a local amateur club

Thats a terrible thing to say BTW and your not the first to say it in here either....

What I meant was, I do it for free :)

I know what you meant :)

Your approach shouldnt be any different than if you where being paid a thouand pounds is what I meant..

I know what you meant :)

Your approach shouldnt be any different than if you where being paid a thouand pounds is what I meant..

I wouldn't risk taking myself out of action for weeks on end with a slipped disc for a free job. :)
There will always be times when your approach may differ slightly between a paid job and a free favour.

Back