A Few of My Faves..........

Name
Guy Cope
Edit My Images
No
After a bit of a plead by Matt Sayle, I’ve dug out a few of my favourite shots from my time behind the armco’s at British & World Superbike racing.

I’m conscious that posting images in this way may appear that I’m “blowing smoke up my own ass” as our friends the Americans would say. Those that know me know I don’t go in for that sort of thing so I said to Matt I’d agree to it if in doing so it might stimulate beneficial discussion about how I got the shots etc. I’m regularly reminded by requests via my site that what I’ve done and where I’ve been (i.e. trackside with full media access) is deemed as a bit of a holy grail to some and how can they get such privileges for themselves?

I’m happy to help where I can. I can’t guarantee you the shots, but I can probably give out pointers that will help which I’m more than happy to do.

All of these shots were on my Nikon body and lens combos. They’re all full frame so none have been cropped. I’m a bit of an old-schooler that way and believe photography is about creating the shots from what you see there and then, and using your skill, experience and judgement, together with equipment knowledge to get the shot, not creating it with a keyboard and mouse afterwards. As such I do all my compositions in the viewfinder. Just to be even more anal and put more pressure on myself, I don’t ‘Gatling Gun’ (i.e. lean on the 8fps shutter and hope for the best). I pick my shots and work on a way to get them in one shot.

So here goes…….

A delve into the photographer’s favourite shots and why they gained that status.

“Head In The Clouds”

Jonathan Rea, British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park 2006

Perhaps my favourite shot of all just because it’s so stonkingly mad and I can’t quite believe I caught it.

At Cadwell, all the other photographers gather at the top of the mountain. What’s the point in getting a shot 25 others will have? I went down to the bottom of the mountain and sat on my own up against the crowd fence with the 400mm. Locking onto and tracking the bikes with the 400mm here is so tricky particularly when “Starship Enterprise Rea” came along. My main aim was to keep the track horizon in frame as that supplied the sense of height. As you can see I only just kept him in frame and had his helmet touched the edge of the frame it would have gone in the bin. And when I say kept him in the frame, I mean this is a pan (i.e. the horizon appeared and then was moving down the frame as I followed the bike up the mountain the try and keep the AF locked on).

CopeImages_06BSBRnd11_0167.jpg

“Guardian Angels”

Tommy Hill’s tank, British Superbike Championship, Mallory Park 2005

Mallory 2005 was a hell of a meeting. In all my time of covering racing, I’ve never seen so many red flags in one day. The track staff and medical crews were kept extremely busy. One such huge crash happened at the appropriately named Devil’s Elbow. It involved Tommy Hill and Danny Beaumont and stopped the race immediately. As you can see, Tommy Hill’s bike was obliterated but he came off relatively unscathed. Danny required medical attention and was tended to straight away by the medical crews present.

It’s an unwritten code that you don’t capture competitors in distress. However, I could see a tasteful and possibly beneficial shot was there and used DoF (Depth of Field) to put the emphasis on the tank, but still giving the viewer enough to forge a link to the medical aspect of the shot. I got a rollicking for lifting my camera which is understandable as the marshall’s didn’t realise I was fully aware of the situation. My only self-gripe is that I didn’t have time to mess with focus points and to get the tank in the selected focus zone meant I cut the top of the frame too tight.

CopeImages_05BSBRnd03_301.jpg

“Brake Dance”

Ryuichi Kiyonari, British Superbike Championship, Snetterton 2006

Knowing what action might occur, where it will happen and who might provide it to you are 3 of the key aspects in motorsport photography.

For me, professional motorcycle racing cannot be beaten for photography. 200bhp+ being forcibly rammed through a 2inch contact patch means you’re guaranteed to get unexpected photographic opportunities that not many other sports offer. This is one of the reasons I love it so much. Watching hugely talented individuals writhing every last ounce of power out of their machines regardless of the conditions or circuit. Spotting that action through the blinkered environment of a camera viewfinder heightens the sense of awe when something unreal happens.

Kiyo was flying this weekend and it was evident he was gelling with his factory Honda. I noticed on a couple of previous laps during practice (NB. not all the good action happens in the race) that he was braking very heavily into Sear. Of course when I got into position he never repeated the action. My perseverance paid off and with a few minutes of the session remaining he was on a hot lap. Did I mention patience is another important aspect of motorsport photography?

CopeImages_06BSBRnd7_0201.jpg

“Annoying Popup”

Gregorio LaVilla, Superbike Championship, Donington Park 2006

Being first into the corner is always key to any race. Annoyingly for everyone else in the field, Gregorio LaVilla forged a big lead in this race on his factory Ducati. Again, all the photographers at the Melbourne Loop congregate on the outside of the exit or the inside of the apex. As I always try to do, I look for different shots when behind the Armco. The approach to the loop is miles away from the barrier due to the amount of run-off. Even with the 400mm and the converter attached, it was a wide shot but one that I liked and was glad to capture.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd2_1300.jpg

“Rising Son”

Ryuichi Kiyonari, British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2005

People will tell you that using a 2x converter on a 400mm prime is a no-no because of the inevitable camera shake. This shot proves that it’s possible with a robust technique and an awareness of your surroundings (in this case one of the 9 inch square posts that the Armco is bolted onto!!!!!). As well as a motionless camera, timing was key to this shot. Kiyo is on full-chat here and from the shooting location you only get a millisecond to “lock” onto his helmet as he appears over the horizon before the front wheel lifts under full power. This shot made it into Nikon Pro magazine.

CopeImages_05BSBRnd13_063.jpg

“Don’t Shoot Until You See The Whites of Their Eyes!!!”

James Haydon, British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park 2006

This has to be the single most terrifying and exhilarating spot in British Motorsport. Deer Leap at Oulton Park for a Superbike round.

The bikes head round Lodge corner and the fire down the dip and up over the crest onto the start finish straight on full-chat. Through a 400mm prime at this location you don’t get much chance to a) “lock” onto them and b) register in your brain that the bikes aren’t actually going to hit you. That said, they scream past your left ear at nearly 100mph only 18 inches away. It is terrifying but the shots are well worth it in my view if your timing’s right.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd4_0692.jpg

I’ve run out of time this evening folks, but will continue the “story” soon.

Any questions at all, please shout.

Kindest regards, Guy

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic set all great in their own right but I think Head in the Clouds has it for me.

Sean

Excellent shots and a nice write up with each one. It's hard to pick a favourite as they all have something unique about them.

:clap:

just one of those and i would be a happy man......(y)

md:clap:

ps iv'e had a few shots from close to where you took the one at deer's leap "oulton" but nothing that good... was you in the hut...?

Last edited:
Superb :D

If I had to pick one it would be "Annoying Popup" dont know why :thinking:

but they are all stunning thanks for sharing (y)

Pure MADNESS :) but i admire those guys... Love bikes!
Great pics! Thinking about purchasing some ;) !

truely insperational shots and write up :clap:

many thanks for sharing.

:clap: Wow! really enjoyed looking closely at these - and thanks for the story that goes with them. Inspirational stuff.

Thinking it all through and not following the sheep seems a good path to follow :)

Genuinely great shots.

DOF - Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Guy,
The pics are terrific,but I expected that,but above all I really appreciate you coming on and talking about how you went about your work,and the absolute honesty of your writing.Your modesty does you credit,but it is a treat to get the insight.

Many thanks for the insight ,and really looking forward to the next instalment.

And well done to you Matt in persuading Guy to give us all an insight into the mind and technique of a Top Pro Tog,who we all see at the tracks,but rarely see the results from.

Thanks,
Pons

Great shots - love the first one in particular. I've photographed bikes at Cadwell once before, but none got to that height... and cars don't really get airborne there!

First off, thank you very much for posting this Guy :clap:

The write up to these pictures is awesome and so much better than '1.blah balah' etc. I really enjoyed reading them and how you got them etc.

Having stood at Dears Leap at Oulton, I can honestly say your bloody mental standing there for the BSB not in the public area!!!

A fantastic post with some awe-inspiring images :clap:

Thank you Guy :)

Well, you don't need me to say "nice shots" because its completely bloody obvious but I have *really* enjoyed reading your commentary on them.

And I'd certainly agree that nothing tops shooting this level of bike racing. I only wish I got more chance to do it. Am massively dissapointed my annual trip to the temple that is WSB at Brands isn't going to happen this year - especially as so many of my favourite BSB stars are going to be giving the rest of the world a battering :(

1 and 3 are stunning; and those who break trends deserve those kind of awesome results!

Awesome.
You really need to think about running a workshop Guy,, I know we`ve mentioned it in the past and this thread could be a great platform for launching such an event.

Something for many of us newbs to aspire to.

Thank you for sharing

Firstly I like to say thank you to all the people who have kindly commented on these shots. It kind of adds to the pleasure I had the moment I knew I’d captured them.

To answer a few of the questions……

... was you in the hut...?

Right beneath it MD up against the Armco.

Will you be there this year

Wull

Not as it stands Wull sadly. The effort and time needed to get these shots just isn’t recouped through their occasional usage in the magazines. Images are worth a lot less now and I can’t pay my mortgage on a link back to my website from a person/company who wants my work for nothing. I hung up my media pass at the end of 2007 due to my concerns over the whole media ”system”. I just couldn’t justify the effort and time away from home when pretty much nothing was coming back in. I miss it immensely but said to myself I’ll only go back if a) I covered my costs, time and commitment or b) earned enough elsewhere to completely write that off and not worry about earning money from my photography. My 6 numbers haven’t come up yet !!

Do you ever get over for the likes of TT, NW200 etc?

Sadly not Bazza. Would love to do the road racing and MotoGP. Like the racers I tracked with my camera, I was very focussed in what I did and balanced that as best I could with my home life. 15 weekends (3.5 days long each , plus editing/ submission time) away each year just on BSB alone left me little time, money or “brownie points” to do anything else.

Awesome.
You really need to think about running a workshop Guy,, I know we`ve mentioned it in the past and this thread could be a great platform for launching such an event.

Thank you RSV-R…….has crossed my mind and I could be persuaded :)

Here’s another batch that I plucked from the huge archive.

Guy

“Guiding Light”

Ryuichi Kiyonari, British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2006

In a nail biting finish, Kiyo wrapped up the 2006 championship at the final round at Brands in October. I was “out of position” for the podium shots as I’d been down on the Copper Straight hoping to capture some of the celebratory shots on the cool-down lap. It’s a bit of a sprint to try and get back up the hill into the paddock with all your gear. By the time I got there, all the usual photographer positions opposite the podium on the pit wall were rammed with no way of getting near. The only spot accessible was the side of the podium. Sadly the sun was right in the wrong (!!) position here having decided to show itself after the earlier downpours. Having sat in the rain, sun, wind, hail for 13 rounds and 2 tests you can’t not get a shot of the newly crowned champ lifting the trophy regardless of if you got to the spot late and the sun has come out to ruin your play….. Luck definitely has to come your way in some shots and mine was with me that evening as I managed to get Kiyo fully clear of the overhanging podium roof section to offer a silhouette of the cherished moment of his career. Again, as in the Rea shot above, had Kiyo’s head “broken” into the shaded bit to his left I think the shot would have lost most of its impact and would probably have been binned.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd13_1034.jpg

“On The Edge”

Cal Crutchlow, British Superbike Championship, Mondello Park 2006

Green Day have a song entitled “Nice Guys Finish Last”. In motorsport, that’s not always true, but if they’re nice, they have to have the brains of a stone and the nerves of a lion. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way at all, I mean it as in they sometimes have to leave their brains at home and carry on wringing that throttle when most of us would back off.

The penultimate turn at Mondello is a sharp left hander that requires maximum corner speed to get the momentum up the hill into the final right hander. Cal Crutchlow is a rider who doesn’t show fear very often, which is probably why he wins so often. He’s also a nice guy too.

In this shot, he’s on the gas, literally on the edge and on the back wheel as his CBR600RR bucks and writhes under the relentless punishment.

It’s moments of madness like this that quite often have me lifting the camera away from my eye and clapping my free hand on my thigh in admiration….. Riding like this gained Cal a promotion from the 600’s into the top flight of Superbikes the following season.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd5_0827.jpg

“Hot Toe Trot”

Troy Bayliss, World Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2006

There’s a definite buzz about the WSB event at Brands Hatch. For me it’s the expectation of getting some of the maddest and best riders in the world at one of my favourite photographic circuits, the Brands GP circuit.

Druids is perhaps one of the most visited corners on the track by photographers. Mainly because it offers pretty good action and you don’t have to walk far from the paddock/media centre to get to it. I tend to start off here on the Friday or Saturday and then leave it to the “sheep” for race day. Brands offers so, so many photographic opportunities that it’s sacrilege to not walk the full GP circuit and sample them for yourselves. It’s also sometimes nice to get away from the droves of people and the tannoy system once in a while and the woods at Brands offer you that.

I like Troy Bayliss, he’s a god in the world of bike racing and a real never-give-up fighter. I’m also a Ducati fan so a Troy/Ducati shot had to be in my favourites somewhere. Oh and there’s some nice sparks too. !!!

CopeImages_06WSBRnd8_0218.jpg

“Knuckle Dragger”

Leon Camier - British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2007

It’s no surprise to me that the Brands Hatch GP circuit keeps appearing in my favourite shots. It really is a photographer’s mecca as the action it provides is unbeatable. Leon Camier is one of the rising stars of motorcycle racing. He’s won the 600 championship before and is now earning his stripes in the Superbike class. He also a very entertaining rider to watch as he’s over 6 foot tall and he somewhat smothered the small Honda. Now on a 200bhp+, 1000cc writhing, bucking, fire-breathing monster, he’s no less impressive. Dragging your knees is a must for any would-be road rider, in racing it’s a given. Dragging your elbow though is still a rarity and as Leon was already upright, out of shot and powering over the crest at Surtees and off into the woods, a wry smile appeared on my face. I know I’d seen something great and it only took a millisecond for me to decide I’d never copy him on my road bike.

CopeImages_07BSBRnd01_1440.jpg

“The Eyes Have It”

Cal Crutchlow - British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2007

This is another of my “no-one ever goes there” chestnuts. You rarely see a photographer at this spot during a race weekend. And Cal, like Leon is a rider to watch. He’s moved into the World series for ’09 so I’ll be following his progress keenly. As we’ve seen above, he’s a very talented and committed rider who rides the wheels off the bike in an effort to win. You can sense his determination through the smoked visor. This picture is on my wall signed by Cal. He liked it too.

CopeImages_07BSBRnd01_1829.jpg

“True Brit”

Craig Jones - World Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2008

Sometimes amongst all the thrills, chases, and awe-inspiring action associated with motorsport, tragedy does strike. August 3rd 2008 was that day. As per normal, the World Superbikes at Brands Hatch was turning out to be the best event of the year. We had a good selection of British riders to cheer on and the crowd was anticipating some excellent racing. They weren’t disappointed. The Supersport 600 race is a frenetic affair with very equally able machines pitched against one another with only the rider being the difference between them. It’s always close racing with dicing moves and split seconds separating the eventual winner from his persuers.

Craig Jones was rising to the challenge. He was swapping paint all through the race with his British counterpart Jonathan Rea and Jonathan’s teammate Andrew Pitt. The crowd was really enjoying the action and the prospect of at least one Brit rider on the podium taking the honours.

Racing can present you with the thrills in a nano-second, it sometimes reminds us that it can all go wrong in an equally short time. Exiting Clearways and applying the power, Craig was thrown from his machine and clipped by the pursuing Andrew Pitt. He never regained consciousness. This shot is how I remember Craig. Leading from the front and flying the flag of great British racing talent performing on the world stage.

CopeImages_08WSBRnd10_426.jpg

“Playing Catchup”

Ryuichi Kiyonari & Jonathan Rea, British Superbike Championship, Mallory Park 2007

Your team mate is the absolute first man you have to beat in racing. They’re on the exact same machinery as you and have the exact same resources to hand to help eek-out every last ounce of performance from the machine. If you leave that garage with the aim of beating anyone else on track its usually them first.

I’d done Mallory to death. It’s a very short circuit and getting away from the “normal” shots is difficult. The usual gaggle of photographers are dispersed over a shorter track area. Couple that with the short laps that mean there’s not usually many changes in composition since the last time the riders came passed you.

As seen in the “Guardian Angels” shot above, Devils Elbow delivers its fair share of thrills and spills. For me though that’s too predictive. I don’t want to come away from a race with only one composition in “the bank”. I like to try and get as much out of a lap in terms of photographic content as possible. Maximising your output from a lap, a session, a race or a meeting is entirely in your own hands. If absolutely nothing happens in the races (unlikely I know), would you come away with no shots on your card??? Its your imagination, experience and outward thinking that create shots, not just the action unfolding in front of you. Racing is extremely frenetic and if you don’t keep thinking and concentrating, you can miss opportunities. I knew I’d done my job if I had to go back to the team garage to ask who had won the race – that because I was aware more of the spinning back tyre, the compressing suspension, the rider out of the seat over the bumps etc more than who it was and what position they were in. Look for the detail and the shots will be there.

I got this shot by seeing a composition in the spacing of the two team mates, and the curves of the two bends. It was also a secondary shot spotted whilst I waited for the bikes to come into the location of my primary shot. Two entirely different shots from one location – job done. Move on.

CopeImages_07BSBRnd09%20_0702.jpg

“The Class of 2007”

The Superbike riders on the Grid – British Superbike Championship, 1st Official MCRCB Test, Snetterton 2007

This is why I went racing. These individuals and their crews make up the whole spectacle that is bike racing. The way you see them here is the way they are all the time, together, as one, smiling, laughing, looking forward to the dices ahead with each other. Racing is a great big family and when you’re there you just can’t help feeling a part of it. Superb!

The only thing you don’t see in this shot is the 30-odd other media photographers behind me all scrabbling for the same shot. I’ve always said, the competition behind the armco’s is often more heightened than the action in front of it.

You stood there with these 28 blokes assembled in front of you with little opportunity for direction. I put my camera on the floor with my ear to the ground (I must get me one of those spangly right-angle viewfinder jobbies) and took this shot. I wanted the track surface to lead the eye into the seemingly falsely constructed composition.

It seemed to amuse Shakey anyway!!!

My only regret of this shot is that not everyone got through to the end of the 2007 campaign. RIP Ollie Bridewell (back row, 3rd from right)

CopeImages_07BSBTst01_0634.jpg

“Over The Top”

Eugene Laverty – British Superbike Championship, Knockhill 2006

I love Knockhill. Fantastic photography circuit. I was also lucky to get sunburnt this weekend so it doesn’t always rain in Scotland I can tell you. It’s difficult to not come away from Knockhill with some great shots. The changes in track elevation coupled with the superb backdrops, and short twisty circuit make photographing there a pleasure.

I’m a bit clinical with my work, I don’t like clutter. This shot encompasses that. Crisp, clear background, eye well and truly drawn to where it should be, and just to please me……a perfectly even/straight spacing of the knee slider and the tarmac (Captain OCD at your service Ma’aam!”).

CopeImages_06BSBRnd8_0650.jpg

Thanks again, Guy

Last edited:
I have enjoyed this thread more than any other since I joined TP.

The knowledge and insightful thoughts are easily the equal of the stunning captures.

Many thanks for taking the time to share these with us.

although i'm not a fan of bikes i love your photos!! they are amazing and full of passion!! keep up with the great work dude!!

although i'm not a fan of bikes i love your photos!! they are amazing and full of passion!! keep up with the great work dude!!

Well I am a serious fan of bikes and ****** Me, this thread is superb. Yes I think the knowledge, skill, patience etc hidden in every frame is well worth delivering in workshops but to be honest, You need to be putting these images and your thoughts behind them in print. I will buy the book and so will thousands of others. The inciteful text compliments each image and I found myself reading through this thread, convinced that I was reading a hard backed glossy book from some superb photographer who lets his work do the 'smoke blowing bit!'

Lets face it you used the term 'story' and you hit the nail on the head there my friend!

If you need a hand with the editing then I'll volunteer!(y)

Yep real nice images but without wanting to sound conceited so they should be with that type of equipment and access. Having said that you still have to get "The Shot" and that certainly has been done.

What a fantastic set of pictures(y)

The stories that go with each picture make it the best thread I have seen yet. I shall hopefully use this for some inspiration and try and get up to Snetterton in the near future.

Thanks for taking the time to compile it.:ty:

Even more awesome work. Bit mre emontial this second lot. Seeing Ollie and Craig again brings back memorys :crying: R.I.P lads, you provided us with some great racing :clap:

Another awesome load of shot and another awesome lot of commentry :clap: Love the Kiyo one (getting his trophy).

Tremendous work,again Guy,excellent verbage.

The one area not really covered in the thread which I would like to see is more people shots from around the circuits and paddocks,as they can be so revealing,and show the tension and emotion.
And I dont mean the dolly bird shots ,or rider posed smiley shots.

Any about ?

Many thanks,
Pons

noting to say but :notworthy: i'm off to moto gp at donny this year all being well but i dare say that mine will proberly not be as goods as these:exit:

You need to be putting these images and your thoughts behind them in print. I will buy the book and so will thousands of others. The inciteful text compliments each image and I found myself reading through this thread, convinced that I was reading a hard backed glossy book from some superb photographer who lets his work do the 'smoke blowing bit!'

Lets face it you used the term 'story' and you hit the nail on the head there my friend!

I couldnt agree more :)

Wow, when I started this thread after Matt’s plea, I never thought it would get such a response.

Thank you to all of you for the kind words and comments of appreciation. I’m pleased some of you enjoy seeing the shots as much as I did taking them. Hope the technical insights are also helpful.

To answer a couple of the questions/comments.

Yep real nice images but without wanting to sound conceited so they should be with that type of equipment and access. Having said that you still have to get "The Shot" and that certainly has been done.

Whilst half of me agrees with you Paddockman, the other half shouts out, you’ll be amazed the amount of people I’ve seen “with that type of equipment and access” that have no clue what to do with it. Yes it helps otherwise I wouldn’t have invested over £10k getting to that stage but you first have to see the shot to be then able to “knowledgably” pick and adjust your equipment to then actually get the shot. I’ve said it before on TP, photography’s a thinking mans game, no truer words have been spoken.

Tremendous work,again Guy,excellent verbage.

The one area not really covered in the thread which I would like to see is more people shots from around the circuits and paddocks,as they can be so revealing,and show the tension and emotion.
And I dont mean the dolly bird shots ,or rider posed smiley shots.

Any about ?

Many thanks,
Pons

In answer to your request Chris, I’ve dug out a few of the “people” shots I really liked. Hope they fit the bill so to speak.

Kindest regards, Guy

“El Niño”

Scott Smart - British Superbike Championship, Mondello Park 2006

Race day at the Mondello Park round in 2006 didn’t happen. For the first time in the history of the sport, a British Superbike round had to be cancelled. Monsoon was not really the word. How my gear still worked after the morning warm-up session was pure testament to the superior build quality of my……of my………Hambleton District Council black bin bag.

Gore-tex is also well made. Tip No: whatever……Make sure you have everything you need with you when you leave the safety of your car, or the race garage. That includes appropriate protective gear for yourself and your equipment. Being uncomfortable when trackside or worse still, not being able to get the shots full-stop is something you don’t leave home for on a Thursday night. The most important piece of your photographic equipment might not necessarily be a camera and a lens.

Scott Smart was one of only a few riders who tested the elements that Sunday morning to gather some wet setting data. All in vain as Mother Nature relentlessly let rip. At least all my efforts weren’t in vain as the lads in the Rizla Suzuki garage p***ed themselves laughing when I returned looking like a drowned rat that had been drowned again.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd5_1332.jpg

“Pulling The Pin”

John McGuinness - British Superbike Championship, Snetterton 2006

Bike racers, like all racers have it in their blood. It’s what they do, what they breathe. They’re extremely focussed once they jump on the bike and know exactly what’s expected of them.

This shot has these attributes all over it. I just loved the way John coiled himself into his bike whilst on the power to gain every possible advantage over his fellow competitors. The Revett Straight at Snetterton is the longest in the country and getting good drive out of the slow Sear Corner is key. Shielding yourself out of the airflow over the bike panels could mean those all important tenths of a second at the end of the lap.

You can see the sheer focus, determination and commitment to the cause a rider displays when he’s “at the office”.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd7_0527.jpg

“Orna-mental Value”

Shane “Shakey” Byrne’s rear magnesium rim - British Superbike Championship, Snetterton 2006

I’ve already detailed how things can go wrong when you push the boundaries of physics to the limits. This is just about all that is left of Shakey’s Rizla Suzuki GSXR1000 after he was forced to “Eject” himself from it at over 100mph after his front brake failed at the bottom of the Revett Straight, the absolute last place you’d want that kind of mechanical failure to happen. Shakey was lucky to be alive and missed the weekend after being sidelined following a medical check (racing rules dictate you can’t compete for a predetermined period after suffering concussion etc)

CopeImages_06BSBRnd7_1555.jpg

“Fire In The Hole”

Chris Walker - British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park 2007

Racing machines are highly tuned pieces of kit. They run to within very fine tolerances and as such can provide very unexpected, yet rewarding images.

This is where patience kicks in once again as you may see the effect you want on one lap but it might not re-occur for several more laps, if at all. “Overrun” (caused by unburnt fuel being released from the engine when the throttle is shut and then being ignited in the pipes) is a prime moment to catch bikes and cars with flame coming from their exhausts. Careful metering (or Manual priority) can be required as the bright light of the flame can fool the camera into stopping down the exposure and leaving you with a pitch dark image apart from the flame itself.

I whacked the shutter speed right down on this shot to keep some movement in this fairly slow corner. That also resulted in the pleasing glow down inside the pipes.

CopeImages_07BSBRnd08_0621.jpg

“Hit & Run”

James Storrar and Lee Longden - British Superbike Championship, Knockhill 2005

Sometimes racing serves up the most bizarre of incidents. Mid June 2005 in a blazing hot Scotland was a prime example. Knowing bikes are temperamental when leant over and on the power, I figured like a predatory shark, that the Real Radio hairpin might see some action in the 600 Supersport race. As mentioned earlier, the 600’s are so closely matched that the riders often push the limits too far trying to gain that all-important edge over their fellow competitors.

Lee Longden was spat out of the seat of his machine as he opened the throttle and despite his efforts to regain control, he fell off the side of his bike. In a nano-second of events thankfully captured by the 8fps burst of the Nikon D2H, Lee landed on the track, had his arm run over by the next rider and was then ridden over by James Storrar who was left with nowhere to go.

Remarkably Lee was battered and bruised but suffered no serious injury.

The full sequence can be seen HERE

Once again it shows the need to be prepared for anything, but also to know your sport and the types of things that can happen and then, where they may happen.

CopeImages_05BSBRnd07_182.jpg

“Sunburst”

Sean Emmett - British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch 2006

Rain and sun right into the lens are often seen as two big no-no’s when it comes to motorsport photography. If you use your imagination, it’s not always the case and pleasing shots can be had when a lot of your fellow photographers are already ensconced in the comfort of the tea and stickies in the media centre :).

You do have to work at getting the better or more unique shots. And what can be more unique than a shot no-one else has because they weren’t there.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd13_0372.jpg

“Watchin-U-Watchin-Us”

British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park 2006

Cadwell on a sunny August Bank Holiday weekend for BSB. I don’t think there’s a nicer place to be. And uber-thousand people tend to agree with me on that one. Apart from the action, the thrills, the spills, the emotion, the colours, the sights, the sounds, the………the….the list is pretty endless, but the atmosphere at a packed race circuit takes some beating. It is easy to become engrossed as a photographer in what is happening in front of you. There are equally, opportunities for shots behind you, and to be honest, the nicely laid out footpaths that are pretty none existent behind the armco’s make a welcome change.

Cadwell is nestled in a valley amidst Lincolnshire’s Wolds and although it has its own weather system that does catch you out, it’s a great place to go both as a photographer and a spectator.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd11_0932.jpg

“Fair Dinkum”

I love this shot. The looks on Steve Plater’s and the little girl’s face are classic as if to say “Well you’re definitely getting an autograph”

Cadwell BSB is unique in so many ways, but one is the “meet and greet” the MCRCB organize each race day where the riders cross the track to see the expectant crowds and sign autographs and have photos taken. It’s an aspect I applaud the organisers on as it really bonds the fans with their idols in a way a pit lane walkabout doesn’t always offer (Cadwell doesn’t have an easily controllable pit-lane hence this is unique to that circuit). As you can see the riders really enjoy it too.

CopeImages_06BSBRnd11_0985.jpg

“Don Corleone”

Stuart Higgs is “Mr. BSB”. He is wholly responsible for everything that happens at BSB as the MCRCB’s Race Director. This shot was one of those knee-jerk shots that you get from time to time, but one that left me with lots of questions as to its occurrence.

I saw this figure in a shirt across in the trees in an area that isn’t very hospitable or accessible (I know, I’ve been there). I was amazed when I peered through the 400mm to see it was SH and instantly began thinking what is he doing there? For those that don’t know, Stuart is normally seen in and around the pit lane and race control buildings as that’s where most of the decisions and discussions take place. So to see him here in the woods in an inaccessible part of the circuit ¼ of a mile straight line from where you normally see him really surprised me. Was he doing a reccy on the marshall’s? Was there an issue with the corner/circuit at that location? Or was he simply taking a moment or three out of his extremely high pressure and responsibility-bound role?

CopeImages_07BSBRnd11_0539.jpg

Thank you once again, Guy

Absolutely inspirational, every image a story teller and you've backed that up perfectly, got to be thread of the year (y)

Back