A few Puffin shots...

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a few Puffin shots from my trip to Skomer Island today...

All taken on the E-3 with 70-300mm plus 1.4x

p341074454-4.jpg

p3729927-4.jpg

p258220147-4.jpg

p173344803-4.jpg

what a remarkably good set of pics there :clap:
how close did you get?

Cracking set of images MM ... (y) ... they really are the clowns of the bird world aren't they ... :shrug: ... really gorgeous ... :D

:p

Excellent pics.:clap::clap:(y)(y)

Great shots :clap:
Never seen one before, beautiful beaks. :)

Wonderful set of the willing performers! Nice to see the campian out too.

You would not believe how close you can get to the Puffins on Skomer. At one particular point on the island they are very tame indeed and you can often get within 6 feet!

I'd recommend anyone with an interest in wildlife or natural beauty to pay a visit there. It's a cracking day out especially on a good weather day. (So speaks a member of the Wildlife Trust that owns Skomer!!!!!)

The last one is my favourite of these ;) Soooo adorable. Of course the quality of your shots ain't half bad either (y) Nice work!

Nice shots Music Man!! You've caught the colours very well - taken from by the Wick I assume?

And I can only echo Ceege's comments - you can actually get closer than 6ft if you're lucky too!! ;) This time of year is a lush time to get to Skomer - you've got the Bluebells and Campion out - so the colours are lush and the seabirds are just getting going now too!!

Thanks for sharing - you're making me miss one of my favourite places on this planet!!! :D

Matt

Cracking shots but would like a looser crop on the first 3 tbh..

Stonking shots - no 1 is sooo good! They're all great! Clarity and colours are fantastic!

Great set, they make great subjects, will be off to the Farne islands next month so i will be getting up close with these lovely birds.

Nice shots Music Man!! You've caught the colours very well - taken from by the Wick I assume?

And I can only echo Ceege's comments - you can actually get closer than 6ft if you're lucky too!! ;) This time of year is a lush time to get to Skomer - you've got the Bluebells and Campion out - so the colours are lush and the seabirds are just getting going now too!!

Thanks for sharing - you're making me miss one of my favourite places on this planet!!! :D

Matt
Hi Sadlybrokeboy (great name by the way) - yep, all taken from the Wick... what a place eh! I was blessed with some cracking weather for the day too, very fortunate which all in all made for a superb day out.

Cracking shots but would like a looser crop on the first 3 tbh..
I see what you mean now Stuart - I was a bit quick to reply earlier (was just up... it's early hours!! :) ) These were full frame though and I haven't cropped any of them from the originals. I should have zoomed out a little on that one though, well spotted.
excellent :clap:
Thanks wilmorh, appreciate your comments.

Stonking shots - no 1 is sooo good! They're all great! Clarity and colours are fantastic!
Hey Dark Star - thanks for the compliment - I had a great day yesterday and absolutely will be going back again.

Great set, they make great subjects, will be off to the Farne islands next month so i will be getting up close with these lovely birds.

Hope you have as good a time on the Farne Islands as I did on Skomer. Looking forward to seeing your shots too.

They are not cropped images, these are full frame and as I captured them.

Well I would have stepped back a bit then..:nuts: now your going to tell me you were on the edge of a cliff..:naughty::D (lovely images though mate)

Excellent set there John. Fantastic colours and sharpness. Nice to see the E-3 70-300 working at its best.

(y) from me.

Wow excellent set of shots. Looks like you had a good day at Skomer yesterday :LOL:
They are all so sharp and full of great detail. No 4 is my favourite just because of the composition but wow (y)

Great shots musicman, I will be in South Wales first week July, might drive over there and get some shots.
Can you tell me if the puffins are still there in July.

cheers
trev

Great shots musicman, I will be in South Wales first week July, might drive over there and get some shots.

cheers
trev
Hey Trev

Here's a pdf document I had to hand that might give you the information you are after.

EDIT: I don't think tP allows attaching of files...! PM me your email address and I shall send you a pdf of the timetable of when birds are on Skomer.

Great set John :clap: was lucky enough to have experienced Skomer last year . Going again in June for a couple of trips love the place . Did you get any shots of them with beaks full of sand eels .

cheers
trev

Zeb,

They'll be there for the first half of July, but will start leaving by the middle off July and by the 20'odd of July you'll be lucky if you see one or two stragglers! It's very surreal - I've been there one week where it's teeming as usual and then the following week you were lucky to see 1 or 2!!

Looking at when you want to go - you should be fine, and if you're lucky you'll start to see the chicks poking their heads of out of the burrows before they leave! :)

Matt

Cracking shots, there are real characters arent they, you did a great job showing the details and colours.
Dean:)

Absolutely perfect. I hope to go myself this summer. If I can get some shots of this standard it will be well worth the trip south.
Well done, you should be very pleased with the results.
Gareth.

Thanks all.

I am going to revisit Skomer Island in two weeks when the Puffins should be returning to their burrows with sand eels. I have ordered the Bigma and cant wait to try this lens out when there.

Roll on two weeks time...

Back