A few recent close-up shots

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
A few recent Damselfly, Butterfly and moth shots mostly from family days out

This ones a bit of fun, this Damselfly seemed to want to play peek-a-boo from the moment I spotted it. A handheld stack of two frames, not perfect by any stretch

Damselfly peek-a-boo by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

I think this is a Large Skipper, and if so it's a first for me...

Large Skipper by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Tried to do something a bit different to my stock Damsel on a stick with this one and I think it works pretty well

Damselfly just hanging around by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Not behaviour I've seen before - they were definitely settled for the night and seemed very cosy. Gave me the opportunity to have a go at trying to balance flash and natural light

Six-spot Burnet's tucked in for the night by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Nicely shot Si
The burnets are mating Damselflies often hide like that

Nicely shot Si
The burnets are mating Damselflies often hide like that

Thanks Alf, I did wonder about the Burnets but they were like that for a good 30 minutes or so that I saw and it's not something I've witnessed before, so wasn't sure TBH... Yes, seen Damsels hiding away like that quite a few times - they're good fun! :)

Last edited:
Nice set. I particularly like the mating moths - clarity, colours, DOF coverage, background; all good and working well together.

Thanks Nick, I think it's the strongest technically. Took a lot of shots of this pair playing with flash/ambient light balance - not had much opportunity to play with the flash since picking it up...

Wish I'd got more DoF on the 3rd, but I barely got opportunity to get a shot let alone get a better angle or stop down!

Back