A few selected images from equestrian event 3 weeks ago

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since I've posted, busy at home and work (two jobs, need to pay the bills!), a few select images as most are "same same" when it comes to equestrian, but some of my favourites. Havent had any boxing for a while, very little money in it so am concentrating on what lines the pocket but I do have some wrestling to photograph in February, which is my most favourite to photograph but the hardest to get any sort of regular work for.

Show Jumping by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

4.. Hover Horse
Ridden Show (Hover shot) by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Pretty good at triggering the right moment, cool!
The problem I see has nothing to do with your picture taking but rendering.
Even your rendition is proper… but did you know you can selectively edit a
single colour channel to correct a nasty reflection cast (like here the yellow-
green from the grass)?

I tweaked a tad the targeted channel for this result:

horse%202.jpg

You can achieve better with the RAW.

Last edited:

Pretty good at triggering the right moment, cool!
The problem I see has nothing to do with your picture taking but rendering.
Even your rendition is proper… but did you know you can selectively edit a
single colour channel to correct a nasty reflection cast (like here the yellow-
green from the grass)?

I tweaked a tad the targeted channel for this result:

horse%202.jpg

You can achieve better with the RAW.
That would be most useful if you could let me know how you did it? :) Cheers fella

You problem isn't a single channel, it's the overall exposure and white balance..

In all four cases you have edited (or so it seems) for the grass and not the subject.

Grass is (generally) exposure neutral; ie it's seen correctly at EC0. Horses most definitely are not.
The end result is that you will often end up with slightly 'odd' coloured grass away from what we are conditioned to think it should look like,
because it is very sensitive to exposure adjustment.
But that's the point. Grass is very rarely a unified shade/tone of green, our brains are just conditioned to think that it is.

Expose and adjust WB for the subject (ie the combination) and you won't go far wrong.

As for timings:

1 is fractionally late as is 2. In both cases you would have been better off being slightly forward of the fence rather than behind in both.
3 is just a tiny bit too early.
4 is pretty much there, it's just a shame that the nag blinked.

You problem isn't a single channel, it's the overall exposure and white balance..

In all four cases you have edited (or so it seems) for the grass and not the subject.

Grass is (generally) exposure neutral; ie it's seen correctly at EC0. Horses most definitely are not.
The end result is that you will often end up with slightly 'odd' coloured grass away from what we are conditioned to think it should look like,
because it is very sensitive to exposure adjustment.
But that's the point. Grass is very rarely a unified shade/tone of green, our brains are just conditioned to think that it is.

Expose and adjust WB for the subject (ie the combination) and you won't go far wrong.

As for timings:

1 is fractionally late as is 2. In both cases you would have been better off being slightly forward of the fence rather than behind in both.
3 is just a tiny bit too early.
4 is pretty much there, it's just a shame that the nag blinked.
exactly what he said :)

Back