A few Shots From Lanzarote

yep all good with that combo .... with FT-1 ... when the light is good and you can keep the ISO below 400 it is very handy to have

and those shots will really shine if you spend a little time processing them further

lovely Great Grey Shrike, (Lanius excubitor) .... but that's also called a northern grey .... I would have though it's close relative the Southern grey shrike (Lanius meridionalis)...... should have been down there this time of the year, so it must mean that, they think that winter is upon us........... . I'm jealous

Cheers for the comments BillN_33, and the better knowledge on the Shrike :)

It is a Southern grey shrike.

It is a Southern grey shrike.

nigel - out of interest why do you think that versus the northern?

maybe this is more representative of the colours
(I'm not sure and will have to check, but I think when you use the V1 with the FT-1 the number of exposure modes and use of focus points is restricted)

Shrike.jpg

I thought that the Northern migrated south in "winter" - hence my comments

Southern or whatever - the more I read about them and the discussion that is going on the more difficult it is the exactly ID it ...... there seems to be about 4 sub species, if indeed any sub species exist

Last edited:
nigel - out of interest why do you think that versus the northern?

maybe this is more representative of the colours
(I'm not sure and will have to check, but I think when you use the V1 with the FT-1 the number of exposure modes and use of focus points is restricted)

Shrike.jpg

I thought that the Northern migrated south in "winter" - hence my comments

Southern or whatever - the more I read about them and the discussion that is going on the more difficult it is the exactly ID it ...... there seems to be about 4 sub species, if indeed any sub species exist

The underparts of this bird look too dark (although it could be the light)compared with GGS, but given where this was photographed, the chances of it being GGS are slim.

The underparts of this bird look too dark (although it could be the light)compared with GGS, but given where this was photographed, the chances of it being GGS are slim.

seems to be lots of talk about what's a Southern, as there seems to be at least 4 sub species around that area and debate about if they are really sub species

I seem to remember that the northern had been reported in Lanzarote at this time of the year and then loads of debate about what it was, with many saying that it was a Southern, (meridionals) and others saying that they were (algeriensis) and then the debate going into (koenigi) and also some kind of desert sub species.

Last edited:
seems to be lots of talk about what's a Southern, as there seems to be at least 4 sub species around that area and debate about if they are really sub species

I seem to remember that the northern had been reported in Lanzarote at this time of the year and then loads of debate about what it was, with many saying that it was a Southern, (meridionals) and others saying that they were (algeriensis) and then the debate going into (koenigi) and also some kind of desert sub species.

There you then , put a blindfold on and stick a pin in any 1 from 4. ;)

Back