Critique A few snaps

Edit My Images
Yes
These are some of the photos I took of my youngest. I'm still learning the camera but critique and pointers are always welcome.
The first one bothers me because of the white top that pulls the eye to it.

40649815190_b3cac8159f.jpg

40649814840_9020466f25.jpg

40649815590_b853a68868.jpg

Last edited:
This one as well. I don't know whether it's better in colour or B&W. Unfortunately I realised too late that she had an 'invisible arm' so had crop quite a bit.
41557232625_30b5392b4f.jpg

41736620834_377a862ecd.jpg

I would say that you are being a little harsh on yourself, by calling these 'snaps'. They are lovely photos, but I see what you mean about the white area in pic no.1. I'm sure there is an easy way to edit that out or even tightly crop the image.
I prefer the colour image to the b&w, but don't ask me why:confused:

Please take what you like etc, etc....

1 is fine with the white bit at the top IMO - it's more the white bit coming out of her shoulder that's an issue. I think positioning your subject at the other end of the frame may have worked better. Bit more space to the left (the direction her body is facing).
2 is really nicely lit and creative use of depth of field is noticeable (in a good way) with errant hairs being a bit more out of focus than in #1. Personally, I find it a bit of a tight claustrophobic crop. Maybe a bit more space above her head, and to the left and/or right. Maybe even a centre posed subject would have worked here in a 3:2 format. Expression is very... expressionless...
3 is the best of the set for me. The tight crop works, and could probably be even tighter, lifting the bottom up to the chin line (or even higher). Lighting is really nice, expression is lovely and engaging. Background is black on one side and messy on the other, but because you're in close, it doesn't matter so much
4 is another lovely shot. Not sure on the crop again (it's not square and it's not 3:2). Could probably go 3:2 and have more space to the right. Expression is lovely, tilt to the head is really nice, angled shoulders - again works well. Exposure is bob on for me although maybe a tad more contrast. It's difficult to rank colour vs black & white when almost all the images are black & white, but I'll plumb for B&W because the pink top is a bit distracting.

Overall, a really nice set of memories. Well done!

Bit late replying but thank you Mark. Sometimes you can’t explain why you prefer something
Thanks for the detailed response Ian ☺️

Lovely photos, your subject certainly doesn't seem to mind having her photo taken - make the most of that as it doesn't last!

My only advice would be to get down lower, these are taken from a very "adult to child viewpoint" and I find pictures of small children look much better taken from their eye level or below.

You do not see too many adult portraits taken from this view.

Unfortunately a low viewpoint normally means crawling round on the floor. I used to sit my sons at a tall table and give them something to do - this keeps them in one place and distracts them from noticing the camera too much

This one I was lying on my side on the floor - hoping he didn't fall over as he was only just sitting up unaided!!

20273-1535310512-968a5892a990bcffe279633c8b8ddd92.jpg

Lovely photos, your subject certainly doesn't seem to mind having her photo taken - make the most of that as it doesn't last!

My only advice would be to get down lower, these are taken from a very "adult to child viewpoint" and I find pictures of small children look much better taken from their eye level or below.

You do not see too many adult portraits taken from this view.

Unfortunately a low viewpoint normally means crawling round on the floor. I used to sit my sons at a tall table and give them something to do - this keeps them in one place and distracts them from noticing the camera too much

This one I was lying on my side on the floor - hoping he didn't fall over as he was only just sitting up unaided!!

20273-1535310512-968a5892a990bcffe279633c8b8ddd92.jpg
He’s lovely, such a cheeky smile I see what you mean about viewpoint. I’ll bear it in mind in future. And yes, she loves having her photo taken. If the camera comes out, she asks me to photograph her

1. No, it is the white chair and the framing that is causing the issue for me. It has too little space on the left and the left looks pretty dark.

2. Technically OK, but the look is very flat and uninterested.

3. That's a lot better and perfectly fine for a family photo.

4. I'd say black and white. I don't like the combination of pink and green. Also the exposure is better in the converted photo.

1. No, it is the white chair and the framing that is causing the issue for me. It has too little space on the left and the left looks pretty dark.

2. Technically OK, but the look is very flat and uninterested.

3. That's a lot better and perfectly fine for a family photo.

4. I'd say black and white. I don't like the combination of pink and green. Also the exposure is better in the converted photo.
Thanks for your viewpoint Truth Teller.
I agree re #4. A few things I’ll have to learn to watch out for, background being one.

Back