A few snapshots from BSB Sillystone Friday

NickR

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Well its the 1st time out with my D800 and struggled a little with the settings but I got there in the end. Love the crop modes and super fast AF:cool:

In the morning I shot from the Woodcote / Luffield Grandstand, not a bad place to be for us fence shooters as you we can get real close to the fence. The afternoon I shot at Vale which was dry but very low sun which caused a few problems.

I like to give the support classes some coverage (y)

1/ Jonathan RAILTON - Team WD40 Kawasaki (I'm a bit biased;))

40 Jonathan RAILTON - Team WD40 Kawasaki by Nick Railton, on Flickr

2/ 38 Ashley BEECH Kawasaki - Jones-Dorling Racing

38 Ashley BEECH Kawasaki - Jones-Dorling Racing by Nick Railton, on Flickr

3/ 49 Filip BACKLUND - ILR Kawasaki (this guy Won on Sunday)

49 Filip BACKLUND - ILR Kawasaki by Nick Railton, on Flickr

4/ Joe Francis - Team WD40 Honda (cool bike(y))

Joe Francis - Team WD40 Honda by Nick Railton, on Flickr

5/ Joe Francis - Team WD40 Honda (Joe deep in thought)

Joe Francis - Team WD40 Honda by Nick Railton, on Flickr

Gary's favourites :):-
6/ Shane Byrne - Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki (Championship Leader)

Shane Byrne - Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki by Nick Railton, on Flickr

Good stuff (y)

The framing in #3 is fantastic, the swoop of the curbs is perfect.

Glad you are enjoying the d800 :)

Nicely done (y)

Very good bud even if you have changed over to the dark side :naughty:

Sure I remember you buying a Nikon 300mm f2.8 or was it the Sigma?

The dynamic range of that D800 is two stops better than the 1DX and shows in the visor and shadow detail,looks a lot smoother.....superb job.

Last edited:
Good stuff (y)

The framing in #3 is fantastic, the swoop of the curbs is perfect.

Glad you are enjoying the d800 :)

Thanks Gary, the D800 very nice (y)

Nicely done (y)

Thanks Nick (y)

Quality set Nick clean and crisp and got the eyes nice work

Thanks Gary, the eyes help make the image really, not sure how Lowes managed to see with no Dark Visor? (y)

Amazingly sharp and great positioning.

Thanks Nick (y)

Very good bud even if you have changed over to the dark side :naughty:

Sure I remember you buying a Nikon 300mm f2.8 or was it the Sigma?

The dynamic range of that D800 is two stops better than the 1DX and shows in the visor and shadow detail,looks a lot smoother.....superb job.

Thanks Glen, ha ha gone full circle with my camera brand, back to my roots(y), the 300 is a Nikon.

Thy D800 is great, the only down side is the FPS but if run it in 1.2x or 1.5x crop mode I get 6fps with the grip and AA batteries which is plenty fast enough really for me, that's interesting re dynamic range. (y) the only thing I'm really struggling with us the colours compared to the Canon. I need to work a bit on that in lightroom.

Thanks

Not sure if Andy (Desantnik) uses Lightroom or not but he is the man on the Nikon stuff but i will say that S.O.C from Canon are very good and skin tones are spot on and the latest cameras produce really good files.
Saying that yours look fairly close to spot on and thats on a calibrated and certified wide gamut monitor running in sRGB colourspace.

Not sure if Andy (Desantnik) uses Lightroom or not but he is the man on the Nikon stuff but i will say that S.O.C from Canon are very good and skin tones are spot on and the latest cameras produce really good files.
Saying that yours look fairly close to spot on and thats on a calibrated and certified wide gamut monitor running in sRGB colourspace.

I think I'm nearly there with the colours? shooting JPEG it makes it a little more difficult to adjust the images in bulk, I think I'll shoot raw next time I can then work back to set the "Picture Control" for JPEG shooting so should save me some time in my workflow? I'm still learning with Lightroom as well :bonk:

Some advice I'll give you Nick having done the Canon to Nikon jump.. don't get hung up on the colours... you can't make a Nikon shot look like a Canon one any more than in the old days you could make a shot on Fuji film look like one on a Kodak.

Embrace the difference, work a new magic formula for how you like to cook your images and take it from there.

I use a custom picture control and shoot jpegs. Getting that picture control how you want it is a bit fiddly but what I suggest you do is to get a fairly even and neutral control so you have a reasonable base level to work from. Certainly don't go crazy with your in camera settings or you won't be able to pull it back - better to have less chilli in the curry and add more to taste rather than make an arse burner to start with :D

Great clarity on these Nick and very sharp. Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks Neil (y)

Very nice Nick, was good to see you the weekend. hopefully see you at Brands?

Thanks Graham, I'm not sure what happens this weekend, depends on the weather really?

Some advice I'll give you Nick having done the Canon to Nikon jump.. don't get hung up on the colours... you can't make a Nikon shot look like a Canon one any more than in the old days you could make a shot on Fuji film look like one on a Kodak.

Embrace the difference, work a new magic formula for how you like to cook your images and take it from there.

I use a custom picture control and shoot jpegs. Getting that picture control how you want it is a bit fiddly but what I suggest you do is to get a fairly even and neutral control so you have a reasonable base level to work from. Certainly don't go crazy with your in camera settings or you won't be able to pull it back - better to have less chilli in the curry and add more to taste rather than make an arse burner to start with :D

Thanks Gary, Do you use the Picture Control Utility to make your adjustments then import them into the camera?

I not necessarily trying to duplicate the colours the Canon puts out but want fairly accurate colours true to life.

Cheers

Yes, you create your custom control then upload it to your camera by putting it on a memory card then importing it through the camera menu.

You may struggle to get what you think is "true to life", greens in particular can be a little wild :)

(psssst, its Andy not Gary :) )

Oh and to give you some more help... I took a load of brightly coloured objects from my kitchen cupboard then shot them using different picture controls (including the built in ones and a load I downloaded from the internet) and looked at the results to decide what it was I was looking for and how stuff needed adjusting.

It told me a lot about the settings I had and the direction I perceived I needed to go. I also looked at the resulting images, comparing it to my eyes perception of the scene too.

My test setup:

DSC_3040.jpg

Can't remember which setting this particular shot was, its just a visual example for you :D

Last edited:
Yes, you create your custom control then upload it to your camera by putting it on a memory card then importing it through the camera menu.

You may struggle to get what you think is "true to life", greens in particular can be a little wild :)

(psssst, its Andy not Gary :) )

Ha Ha, to many Gary's about, sorry about that Andy(y)

Yeh I do notice that about green, if you wack the saturation up to get reds and blues accurate the greens do look wild especially grass, quite hard to get the Kawasaki's look right and stop the grass dominating to image, good thing with Lightroom you can use the paint tool to bring the saturation down on the grass.

Oh and to give you some more help... I took a load of brightly coloured objects from my kitchen cupboard then shot them using different picture controls (including the built in ones and a load I downloaded from the internet) and looked at the results to decide what it was I was looking for and how stuff needed adjusting.

It told me a lot about the settings I had and the direction I perceived I needed to go. I also looked at the resulting images, comparing it to my eyes perception of the scene too.

My test setup:

DSC_3040.jpg

Can't remember which setting this particular shot was, its just a visual example for you :D

I'll have a go at that thanks Andy, problem is now because I shoot raw replicating JPEG picture style to RAW Camera Calibration in Lightroom is another hole can of worms.

There's an excellent vid on YouTube which explains about aligning the in camera settings with Lightroom.

http://youtu.be/HK7Hgu-I4i8

Cheers

Back