A few springtails and other creatures

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
The contrast is an improvement. As for white balance, we have no way of knowing what a 'neutral' colour would be. What is the background? Many decades ago, I tried to photograph such small arthropods and plaster of Paris was recommended. It maintains a moist environment and can be coloured from white to brown (clay) to black (charcoal).
These are fine macro shots. I wish I was in a position to do the same these days.

Last edited:
The contrast is an improvement. As for white balance, we have no way of knowing what a 'neutral' colour would be. What is the background? Many decades ago, I tried to photograph such small arthropods and plaster of Paris was recommended. It maintains a moist environment and can be coloured from white to brown (clay) to black (charcoal).
These are fine macro shots. I wish I was in a position to do the same these days.
Thank you for your kind remarks the background was a small piece of plywood - which is decaying and looks like that. Not the perfect background but that is where it was and I didn't want to disturb it to avoid losing it.
I have never heard of using plaster of Paris, for photographs but it is an idea.

David
Are you still using an ancient monitor on your computer?
If you are the best thing for photos would be to change it or if not calibrate your monitor with something like this
https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-ColorMunki-CMUNSML-Calibration-Compatible/dp/B009APMNB0/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ZXLML6F1A5CD&keywords=color+monkey+monitor+calibrator&qid=1575284648&sprefix=color+monky,aps,221&sr=8-7

If you are using flash as the main light source then the WB will be daylight

I have shot similar to 1614

Onychiurinae by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I edited you shot but this is the best I can do

Not my shot 2019-19 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Not the same surface but this is the kind of colour I would expect from the Collembola

Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

That is an idea changing the monitor.

I have various flash problems which has not helped (the diffuser broke).

That is an idea changing the monitor.

I have various flash problems which has not helped (the diffuser broke).

Have you looked at your shots on another device?

Yes I often do - I think the problem with these was the fact that the diffuser broke and the new one had slightly different light.
Now the flash has broken!!!!!
Saying that this looks ok to me on a different monitor
Springtail_IMG_1523reworked by davholla2002, on Flickr

But only on Flickr - here it looks not quite right and the size does not make any difference.

Springtail_IMG_1523reworked by davholla2002, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back