A few 'street' images from today

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
We decided to pop down the Island earlier for a family ride around and fun on the beach. Haven't processed the beach images yet but here are a few street images as well as a few of my kids.

All Pentax K5ii & DA* 16-50mm

Barry Island 05/05/16 by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

I like the playful shadow work and the
constant quality of the renditions! Yes.

You have the knack of 'seeing the shot' and the mastery in 'timing the capture'.
Well done in all of these.
Storyline and action.

Don't really see a solid storyline in them but the jumping young lad one is fun (cropped version). If you're going for a story then there needs to be something engrossing about it out of the ordinary for me. Something that grabs the attention, whether it's action or an expression. The more ordinary the scene and comp, the less street it becomes. Not easy at all.
Deceptively difficult to do but nice start.

Of course you can. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. If anything, I think we shouldn't forget about what photography is about, which is simply the enjoyment of taking and viewing your images.
The definition of street photography is a much debated issue.
Whether you're looking at Winograd, Meyerowitz or the harder style of Gilden nowadays or even the more photojournalistic approach of mccullin, they either usually capture a moment in time that says what the street is about, or a strong aesthetic based around I people or people on the street.
Absolutely nothing wrong with these shots, and I'm no position to say there is, as it's all about opinion, but would i class them as street? No. The only reason I judged them based on them being street shots is because of the title.

I'm not saying they don't have a story between them, im saying there is no real story in the shots as they are as separate entities. Don't get me wrong, there's a story in any shot if you look hard enough, but for it to be street, the story has to be interesting and clearly apparent. If not, anyone taking a selfie on the street is going street work.
Am I a street photographer? Most of the time, nope.

Last edited:
Back