A Fly : and the Ring Flash learning curve

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone.

After some great advice from Nick ( GardenersHelper ) and Paul Iddon I had another go with my Ring Flash this aft and I managed to bag a couple of keepers ( well, I think they are ;) ) and compared to yesterdays efforts ( Pre Advice ) where I didn't manage a usable shot, the Fly below is a massive improvement.

Camera 7D, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM, Raynox 150, Hand Held, Yongnuo Ring Flash

Camera set to Manual : 1/250th @ f14 iso100
Flash set to Manual : 1/8 power

The shot was taken without any Diffusion ( going to fit the 2 curved diffusers I made t'moro )

_MG_6776-Edit.jpg

So, a big thanks goes to Nick and Paul for the help with the flash and I'll just keep practicing, both indoors and out.

Also, can anyone tell me if the criss / cross effect on the eye is caused by the flash?

Andy...:D

Thanks once again for the help Paul...still have a long way to go, but I'll keep at it, really looking forward to seeing what effect the Diffusers have :cool:

Thanks Charles...I must admit, I was very pleased with the detail in the eyes.

Well done and a great shot even if it wasn't diffused.
FYI, most insects eyes are like this, be it beetles, dragonflies, flies or whatever you find.
Practice makes better shots.

Thanks Graham...(y)

Ey up, Nick...I practiced with the flash this morning, just like you advised and it made a massive difference to my understanding of how the flash works, so thanks very much for that, I will keep up the practice and hopefully gain a better understanding of Macro Flash.

Thanks once again for the help and advice (y)

Excellent shot, great progress (y)

Back