A Frosty Morning at Chatsworth

A wonderful, crisp set there, Lynne, I'm really kicking for not getting out!

Of the set it's #4 for me. The composition, exposure are bang on, but I really like how the green grass below the tree contrast against the snow.

Lovely reflections in #1.

You really are convincing yourself to go FF and are dragging me along with you :).

As for lens, well, if I do go FF my first lens is likely to be the 24-70 :)

Cheers.

Cheers Andy.....I think when the weather's like that again I shall revisit ...it was an amazing morning :)

full frame is getting more n more tempting , been talking with Marsha about the 16-35 ( canon lens but suspect Nikon will have an equivalent )....& don't blame for spending your money :D

Cheers Andy.....I think when the weather's like that again I shall revisit ...it was an amazing morning :)

full frame is getting more n more tempting , been talking with Marsha about the 16-35 ( canon lens but suspect Nikon will have an equivalent )....& don't blame for spending your money :D

Here's one :naughty:

Great set Lynne, 3 and 5 being the pick of them.

Just seen this set Lynne. They make a great collection. I go with the flow and say that #3 is a clear winner for me. The tree, the colour, the iconic bridge. It works so well. Envy all over the place here!

Hi Lynne, just found this thread of yours, sorry for being a bit late with the comments but would just like to echo what has been said above really.
The colour tones and lighting in your images are so very appealing, it looks like it was a very productive trip.

Good work missus (y)

Just seen this set Lynne. They make a great collection. I go with the flow and say that #3 is a clear winner for me. The tree, the colour, the iconic bridge. It works so well. Envy all over the place here!

Many thanks for popping in David.....glad you like the shots :)

Hi Lynne, just found this thread of yours, sorry for being a bit late with the comments but would just like to echo what has been said above really.
The colour tones and lighting in your images are so very appealing, it looks like it was a very productive trip.

Good work missus (y)

Cheers Iain.....it was an amazing morning...............I'm hoping for a repeat of those conditions this winter as there are loads more opportunities at Chatsworth , thanks for popping in & your kind words (y)

Fabulous set Lynne, especially the BWs.
I used to love pootling around the Chatsworth estate when I lived up that way.....Bakewell too.

Many thanks Steve .....that stick will be going before I get it printed....& you've picked out all the very reasons I took the shots...couldn't have said it better myself (y) & thanks for the lens info.....I've taken a look at costs , currently they're all a little out of my league so the saving starts here(y) Focus I think was pilot error (usually is !) & the dust spots have been banished.....

Cheer Jonathon:)

Thanks for the detailed input Steve .It's a shame the jetty wasn't more pointing toward the distant bridge but not a lot I could do about so went with what I'd got....everyone views images differently & for me the jetty pulls my eye to the houses on the banks then the tree's take my eye across & down to the bridge .Really wish I'd taken the time to set the tripod out & smooth the water a bit but it really was a grab shot as I wanted to get to Chatsworth :(
2 was intended to be central ( or as central as I could get it ) ,not sure why but I wanted it that way....breaking the rules is good for the soul sometimes :D
& I'm still getting to grips with mono conversions...everyday's a school day but I'll try more contrast as per your suggestion (y)

Thanks Chris....I'm eagerly awaiting the next downfall....hopefully we'll get some more this winter :)

A wonderful, crisp set there, Lynne, I'm really kicking for not getting out!

Of the set it's #4 for me. The composition, exposure are bang on, but I really like how the green grass below the tree contrast against the snow.

Lovely reflections in #1.

You really are convincing yourself to go FF and are dragging me along with you :).

As for lens, well, if I do go FF my first lens is likely to be the 24-70 :)

Cheers.

Regarding full frame, i did make the jump after some time of considerable procrastination (that word is as big as the jump!). Now many people said how it would not improve my photography which is a fair comment it must be said. However there are many things to consider here and one is what camera you are moving up from, and what you are moving to. (seems obvious doesnt it).
So i guess if your moving from a D7000 to a D610 it might not be such a jump in performance as if you were going from a D90 to a D610 for example.
This might have an impact on your expectations on moving to FF....

One thing i do have to say is, part of my reticence about moving to full frame is that comment that ran round and round inside my head "it would not improve my photography"
For me personally it was a game changer, moving to full frame the difference in quality was very obvious. and i'm sure this has much to do with the quality of the lenses as the Pro bodies. Don't be blinded by pixel peeping its not everything when your buying a body, personally i think the lenses are Much more important.

One thing you may wish to consider is your closely is your choice of Lenses, obviously very expensive, (more than the cost of a body in most cases) but its false economy to put poor lenses on a FF camera as it will really highlight the poor quality of the lens, equally using DX lenses on a FF body. DX lenses are possibly OK as a stop gap providing they are good quality lenses.
Anyhow the way i made the change was quite protracted but a think the right decision for me.
I was using the D300 (DX, i love this Camera) i decided to save up and buy the quality full frame lenses one at a time and use them on the D300, until i could afford a FF body. Lenses are the expensive bit and a quality lens will hold its price if its well looked after, much more than any camera body, after all manufacturers bring out a new body every five minutes!

One way of purchasing lenses if you want to keep the cost down is obviously Ebay or a reputable dealer. I was very lucky on Ebay, i wasnt in a rush and my main criteria was, i wasnt going to part with that sort of money without seeing and collecting the item in person. I was exceptionally lucky and bought one lens 6 weeks old, still with Nikon warranty (an unused duplicated present, and when i picked it up i saw the other identical lens he said pick which one i wanted!). So it is possible to get a bargain just dont be in a rush and be picky!

At the end of the day it is the person that takes the Photo as we all know but top equipment also makes a difference.

Hope this helps a bit....
Steve

That's a really good set, the last is my personal favourite. Well done.

A great set of images you have got there. I like all of them. Really miss being in Derbyshire, although Norfolk does have its niceties.

Fabulous set Lynne, especially the BWs.
I used to love pootling around the Chatsworth estate when I lived up that way.....Bakewell too.

Cracking set, numbers 2 & 3 are my favourites.

That's a really good set, the last is my personal favourite. Well done.

Thank you all for the positive comments , really appreciate you taking the time (y)

Regarding full frame, i did make the jump after some time of considerable procrastination (that word is as big as the jump!). Now many people said how it would not improve my photography which is a fair comment it must be said. However there are many things to consider here and one is what camera you are moving up from, and what you are moving to. (seems obvious doesnt it).
So i guess if your moving from a D7000 to a D610 it might not be such a jump in performance as if you were going from a D90 to a D610 for example.
This might have an impact on your expectations on moving to FF....

One thing i do have to say is, part of my reticence about moving to full frame is that comment that ran round and round inside my head "it would not improve my photography"
For me personally it was a game changer, moving to full frame the difference in quality was very obvious. and i'm sure this has much to do with the quality of the lenses as the Pro bodies. Don't be blinded by pixel peeping its not everything when your buying a body, personally i think the lenses are Much more important.

One thing you may wish to consider is your closely is your choice of Lenses, obviously very expensive, (more than the cost of a body in most cases) but its false economy to put poor lenses on a FF camera as it will really highlight the poor quality of the lens, equally using DX lenses on a FF body. DX lenses are possibly OK as a stop gap providing they are good quality lenses.
Anyhow the way i made the change was quite protracted but a think the right decision for me.
I was using the D300 (DX, i love this Camera) i decided to save up and buy the quality full frame lenses one at a time and use them on the D300, until i could afford a FF body. Lenses are the expensive bit and a quality lens will hold its price if its well looked after, much more than any camera body, after all manufacturers bring out a new body every five minutes!

One way of purchasing lenses if you want to keep the cost down is obviously Ebay or a reputable dealer. I was very lucky on Ebay, i wasnt in a rush and my main criteria was, i wasnt going to part with that sort of money without seeing and collecting the item in person. I was exceptionally lucky and bought one lens 6 weeks old, still with Nikon warranty (an unused duplicated present, and when i picked it up i saw the other identical lens he said pick which one i wanted!). So it is possible to get a bargain just dont be in a rush and be picky!

At the end of the day it is the person that takes the Photo as we all know but top equipment also makes a difference.

Hope this helps a bit....
Steve

Huge thanks Steve...very insightful & most helpful . I agree that it probably won't improve my photography but I am thinking that the Good(ish) results I get now will be enhanced by using better equipement ? I'm still not 100% sold on the need to go ff but I do want to upgrade the D7000 . I have 2 lenses that are ff compatible & I need to invest in a landscape type lens as not really in love with the sigma 10-20mm anymore. I've just bought a ridiculously low mileage D300 to replace my ageing high mileage but much loved D90 ( I actually get better results with that than the 7000!)so now debating which way to go . I really fancy the D750 with something like a 12-24 or 16-35 type lens , using the D300 as my go to lens for moto x & having the 750 as back up for that & doing landscape/macro etc .

I never was any good at making decisions.......

Thanks again for taking the time to share the info ,much appreciated (y)

A great set Lynne, but #3 is the stand out for me. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said except that maybe a wider view of #3 would have added something....difficult to say without actually seeing the scene. Regardless, it's still a brilliant image.

No 3 for me pure class

Many thanks Harry :)

A great set Lynne, but #3 is the stand out for me. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said except that maybe a wider view of #3 would have added something....difficult to say without actually seeing the scene. Regardless, it's still a brilliant image.

Thanks for your comments Mark.......I agree about the wider view but as it was I had to clone out some stray tree branches to the rhs as there's a fair few tree's quite close by.Like wise on the other side of the bridge....& my cloning skill's ain't that good :)

Yes the third is fairly dreamy, nice shots, and the last black and white.

Back