A good use for a condom

Edit My Images
Yes
I found a pair of speakers left on the footpath round the corner from here. Thought we could have a play.
Bought some poster paint and a 12 pack of condoms. Struggled putting them over the speaker and burst several. That's down to inexperience - I never used them; it's like having a bath with your socks on!!!
Mate of mine had a wave generator thingy so we made a mess.
Mixed the paint very erratically with cornflour and water.
Everything was hit and miss.
Different frquencies and technical tweaks gave all sorts of results.

Then we burst the condom and all the gunge went into the speaker. That became a real gooey mess. Lovely.

We have saved a speaker and will give the cone a varnish to increase longevity next time.

This is when the condom was still covering the speaker. Hell of a lot of fun. Good job poster paint washes out of clothing!

A good use for a condom by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

next time use a big bit of rubber cut out of a balloon and a rubber band to keep it on.... and good luck with getting the paint off your camera ;)

The only balloons we had were Poundland ones, and they are not big enough for the speakers.
When we tweaked the wave generator we could get the top half of the condom to stand up all by itself. Hellish funny, but I'm not brave enough to post that on here!

Thick garden black bin bag and gaffer tape it to the speaker and it gives a great background. I used a tone generator app on my phone/ipad to get it to the right frequency.
141310690.jpg

Add a little washing up liquid to the paint and it's easy to get bubbles as well which you can blow up with a straw.
141310691.jpg

Mix the two together...
141459192.jpg

Tried the tone generator app, but couldn't get the right power. How did you get enough woomph to drive a 7" speaker? We drove a tone generator through an old CD player, until that blew the main circuit board!

Nice set. I used to do a lot of "dancing paint" till I blew my speaker with the wave generator. Gotta get another one at some point. I used a tone generator on my PC and put the paint over an old sub for a surround sound system.

Black balloons (cut off the rounded mouth bit), bin bags and cling film I found also worked as a suitable surface to put the paint on and stretch over the speaker.

Back