A How To Question on Birds in Trees

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,Just statrting to try and photograph birds but how do you manage to get an image of a bird in a tree like a Pine tree? I only have the Sigma 150-500mm waiting on the Canon 400mm. I tried on Staurday but due to the density of the branches just could not a get focus, don't no the species of bird yet but about the size of a sparrow and never stopped moving about, using just the one focus square on the Canon 70D (centre one). Will the Canon 400mm maybe do a better job on the focusing side? Any advice please? Thankyou. Russ.

For birds in the middle of twiggery I always use manual focus, usually using AF to get it nearly in position first, and then tweaking it manually. I don't know of any kind of camera AF which can sort out that kind of problem.

which ever Canon 400 you are getting, it will have a more snappy focus than the 150-500mm lens you have, this may well help to some extent but small birds in trees are tricky to get anyway

If your birds are frequent visitors to your branches, twigs and perches, spend some time watching their habits, flightpaths etc, then pre focus on a well used spot. Birds tend to be, to varying extents, creatures of habit and you'll soon pick up their movements. A little of the correct type of food can help too as long as you don't suddently withdraw it, once you start feeding wild birds, it becomes a bit of a commitment.

It becomes much more difficult if you're out and about on walks and the like but not impossible, time and patience are the key.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back