Beginner A little eyecandy - Jake Quickenden

You never know Les.... (just a thought).... i know my image isnt perfect in the slightest. I have found 2 people using 2 pink tribute images i shot once, and they refused to credit or comment my name. They as well werent the greatest, but it could happen.

I guess a watermark is a matter of choice?

I guess it is- copyright is embedded in the EXIF so easy to prove ownership- I did use watermarks on my images, its a personal choice- who am I to say you can't use them?

Les ;):sony:

Ps one could advise posting decent images on FB, put them on a password protected web site- simples :banana:

Im just a little wary. Especially when my friends lovely Aurora image got ripped and the guy didnt even bother crediting him neither, that was a decent image as well 0_o

back to my original- Do NOT post images on Facebook. I did read somewhere that any image posted publicly on FB was the property of FB......not sure if I read that correctly though lol

web site is for me- the only way to go- I post images on Flickr ( for posting on Forums) - which cannot be downloaded as the right click function is disabled to directly download the image

any I have for sale go on my web site

Les

I found this online

Facebook Picture rights
26 January 2010 at 10:15
Many of you know that, thanks to the warnings from a couple of other photographers, I have been concerned about Facebook's usage of my images. According to the terms and conditions of Facebook, any picture uploaded gives them the right to have a non exclusive royalty free license for it. Potentially this meant to me that, although my images are small and watermarked inside and out, they could sell them to a web based advertiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
back to my original- Do NOT post images on Facebook. I did read somewhere that any image posted publicly on FB was the property of FB......not sure if I read that correctly though lol

web site is for me- the only way to go- I post images on Flickr ( for posting on Forums) - which cannot be downloaded as the right click function is disabled to directly download the image

Les

I found this online

Facebook Picture rights
Many of you know that, thanks to the warnings from a couple of other photographers, I have been concerned about Facebook's usage of my images. According to the terms and conditions of Facebook, any picture uploaded gives them the right to have a non exclusive royalty free license for it. Potentially this meant to me that, although my images are small and watermarked inside and out, they could sell them to a web based advertiser.

Gosh

I really didnt know this. Thanks for the heads up, i wont be posting any on there in the future!! :(

Keep the watermark! If anyone removes it then your compensation can be much higher as they can't claim they didn't know who owns the copyright!! Too many pictures being stolen or given away for free as it is.

not in the UK

without that term, or something very similar Facebook would be unable to allow upload of any pictures. Its not sinister.

Gosh

I really didnt know this. Thanks for the heads up, i wont be posting any on there in the future!! :(

The only way to be sure of stopping any form of copyright infringement is to not upload them in the first place

without that term, or something very similar Facebook would be unable to allow upload of any pictures. Its not sinister.

The only way to be sure of stopping any form of copyright infringement is to not upload them in the first place

Hmmm that is also true :confused:

Les

I found this online

Facebook Picture rights
Are people still repeating this nonsense?

I thought there'd been enough bad press around these warnings that they'd disappeared forever.

As Hugh says, without the right to 'use' your images, Facebook can't show them to you and your friends.

Are people still repeating this nonsense?

I thought there'd been enough bad press around these warnings that they'd disappeared forever.

As Hugh says, without the right to 'use' your images, Facebook can't show them to you and your friends.

I did say I was not sure if I read it correctly - being a new Facebook user myself, I was unsure as to what that meant and did quite clearly state that in my post

I did say I was not sure if I read it correctly - being a new Facebook user myself, I was unsure as to what that meant and did quite clearly state that in my post
You're right to be careful, but presumably when you found it online you were also faced with lots of posts countering it (I'd find it odd if you weren't).

For instance I've just done a search for 'facebook copyright' and ignoring Facebooks content, I couldn't find anyone still peddling that nonsense on the first 2 pages (didn't look further) most results were similar to 'dont spread those b******t facebook copyright posts'.

So I'm just going to throw this out there... and say no more.

If you put your images online, anywhere - social media sites, websites, etc... you have to accept the fact that you run the risk they could be used without permission, for other things, by other people. End of. The question is whether or not you're prepared to take action against anyone who does that, AND follow through with it...and unless you're a top of the tops photographer, you're not likely to do so, simply down the the costs that you could incur up front.

keep a bold watermark on a part of the pic where its very hard to clone out
let the critics critisise
the phot content if its good will still be good :exit:

Back