A Lot Less Bover.

Fantastic images, i captured a couple of these today, but nothing as well as yours.

Thank you Paul.

I was a little dissapointed with the damsels, the background is way too busy. It was the first time I'd managed to get a lens on a pair breeding though so it had to be done.

The hoverfly was taken out of frustration as the weather was closing in but I did like it's simplicity.

Two nice images. I especially like the Hoverfly. Always difficult with damselflies to get clean backgrounds although I don't think this is too messy. I try and get a couple of shots and then see if I can move the reed or whatever to change the angle. Not always possible though. They are Blue Tailed Damselflies if you didn't know.

Last edited:
Excellent set there, well done indeed (y)

EDIT:-, worth the click over to Flickr, a bit squashed here.

Definitely, especially for the second one, which has super detail when seen over at Flickr. Both very good I think. (btw the background in the second one is very much to my taste.)

In the second one the highlights might benefit from being brought down a bit, although looking at the bodies, especially the yellow one, I think they are too far bleached for that to be fully effective in post processing. That would have needed a bit less exposure at capture time I think.

Cheers Nick. I'd agree about the whites, I got a little excited at the time and over exposed and I think it's just a bit too far gone to recover. I don't like to make excuses but I was also quite precariously perched myself and it was warm, windy and the bugs were very skittish as a result. I'll be going back this weekend, hopefully a bit calmer in myself and calmer, cooler conditions. It's only 10 minutes up the road so within easy reach. This is the first pair I've captured bonded together, I wish I had just exposure compensated down a 3rd of a stop. Next time. ;)

Cheers Nick. I'd agree about the whites, I got a little excited at the time and over exposed and I think it's just a bit too far gone to recover. I don't like to make excuses but I was also quite precariously perched myself and it was warm, windy and the bugs were very skittish as a result. I'll be going back this weekend, hopefully a bit calmer in myself and calmer, cooler conditions. It's only 10 minutes up the road so within easy reach. This is the first pair I've captured bonded together, I wish I had just exposure compensated down a 3rd of a stop. Next time. ;)

I compensate by -1/3 as my starting point with all my cameras, but often take it down more, sometimes down towards two stops, occasionally more than two stops. I work on the basis that you can do more about dark areas than over-bright areas, and I much prefer to deal with an under-exposed image than an over-exposed one, so I tend to underexpose on the safe side . Clip the highlights, and they have gone, irretrievably - and colours can bleach away before you get to that point. With shadows you can either raise them (and deal with any noise that turns up), or simply leave them dark (or somewhere between), which (to my eye at least) is much less distracting than blown/bleached highlights. YMMV of course. :)

Do you have zebras on your camera? I've now got them on my G80 (the first of my cameras to have them) and it is great for pre-shot compensation setting. Otherwise you have to chimp - I have my cameras set up so the image appears on the LCD until I half press the shutter button. Mind you, I'm using live view the whole time which means I don't have to move in order to see the images post-shot. If you are using an OVF it is a lot more difficult as you need to keep moving from OVF to LCD in order to check, which may not be practical.

I have a 7D, which in some ways, is why I over expose as it controls the noise that 7Ds are known for. It's a fine art that I've never perfected. I have it set so that it blinks blown highlights and blocked shadows but I only see that when viewing the image after taking it. I've never thought of trying that in live view. (y)

I have it set so that it blinks blown highlights and blocked shadows but I only see that when viewing the image after taking it. I've never thought of trying that in live view. (y)

Presumably, as with my 70D in live view, you'll still only see the blinkies when viewing the image after it has been taken. The G80 is the only one of my cameras that shows the highlight blinkies ("zebras") before taking the photo.

I will certainly give it a go next time as I sometimes fine tune focus with certain lenses in live view. I think you're right though, I don't think I'll get blinkies in live view.

Back