A Macro/Close-up Experiment At Home

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Having completed 39 sessions of radiotherapy yesterday (see my profile), with too many of the possible side effects, I have become quite frustrated at not having the energy to do much photography. So, what could I do that meant I did not have to go too far and could easily rest if I got tired. Back in 1995 we purchased a couple of Canon EF 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Ultrasonic lenses for use with our Canon EOS50e cameras. Much earlier I had also bought a set of Hoya Close-up filters (+1, +2 & +4). The lens and the filters didn't match and I needed a 55mm-55mm step down ring. Having obtained that I was able to try the experiment of attaching them to my Canon EOS5DIII.The results weren't great, but they are interesting and I think as I get used to the system the results are likely to improve.

The images are not big, most have been cropped substantially and there has been some sharpening and other enhancements, to get the colours correct. The light has not been good all day, with lots of cloud, and also a gusty wind. All shots were hand held, with a shutter speed of around 1/320 to 1/400 and an aperture of f8 - f9. The ISO varied from 400 - 4000!

The first three I took in our orchard. and the last three on the track leading to our house.

1. 10 Spot Ladybird
18551-1499966983-ac94a167a14c3c8f836d789b98c2c57e.jpg

2. 10 Spot Ladybird Lunch
18550-1499966976-140e390b8f7e1d8b32e3cab2c8fa2051.jpg

3. Harlequin Ladybird
18553-1499966993-c8d3a35cf40d96ef99fca5eb9f97cc73.jpg

4. Episyrphus Balteatus (Hoverfly)
18552-1499966987-ef25067bd84b68379bdc3acaa505b98a.jpg

5. Syrphus ribesti (Hoverfly)
18555-1499967004-10162da9dc73b01551c56218ebe1d902.jpg

6. Small White Butterfly
18554-1499966999-8456aac8215cd75d48762a9ae4abc8eb.jpg

This afternoon a newly purchased Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Conversion Lens arrived, but I feel that I will also continue with this experiment as there appears to be some useful mileage in it.

Last edited:

4, 5, & 6 are just superb…
cool colours and textures!

(y)(y)(y)

Excellent observation Kodiak - I actually did the pictures in two lots with the ones (1 - 3) in the orchard coming first. By the time I got onto the track up to the house (4 - 6) I had got yhe hang of the system much more, so I agree completely, 4 - 6 are much better quality. It may also be that the set up is also better with slightly larger insects, with smaller insects like the ladybirds setting it just too much of a challenge.

Thanks for the comments.

with smaller insects like the ladybirds setting it just too much of a challenge.

Not really, Phil, size is not the first challenge here. I
think the specular surfaces are responsible for the
lower light quality, and second the greater proximity
of the lens (reducing the DoF and making focus a
more critical issue).

I think you're darn close to solving
these issues! :cool:

You are doing Ok here Phil. The Raynox is a great peice of kit I even use mine on a macro lens with tubes.

You need better lighting IMO. The garden is great place for a safari(y)

Hope you get well soon mate.

Nice! I vote for the Butterfly and the Bee! Keep shooting and posting and I'll keep cheering.
Rink, (A confirmed close up/Macro nut!)

Last edited:
The butterfly is the best imo but with the screw on macro lens things they are really not that great and you will lose some detail.
The Raynox 250 and the 28-80 will be a sure winner if you nail the focus but as Alf said, you need a diffused flash to help gain that extra detail.
Get well soon.
@Rink, its a Hoverfly (just saying)

Great work Phil. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Having completed 39 sessions of radiotherapy yesterday (see my profile), with too many of the possible side effects, I have become quite frustrated at not having the energy to do much photography. So, what could I do that meant I did not have to go too far and could easily rest if I got tired. Back in 1995 we purchased a couple of Canon EF 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Ultrasonic lenses for use with our Canon EOS50e cameras. Much earlier I had also bought a set of Hoya Close-up filters (+1, +2 & +4). The lens and the filters didn't match and I needed a 55mm-55mm step down ring. Having obtained that I was able to try the experiment of attaching them to my Canon EOS5DIII.The results weren't great, but they are interesting and I think as I get used to the system the results are likely to improve.

The images are not big, most have been cropped substantially and there has been some sharpening and other enhancements, to get the colours correct. The light has not been good all day, with lots of cloud, and also a gusty wind. All shots were hand held, with a shutter speed of around 1/320 to 1/400 and an aperture of f8 - f9. The ISO varied from 400 - 4000!

The first three I took in our orchard. and the last three on the track leading to our house.

This afternoon a newly purchased Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Conversion Lens arrived, but I feel that I will also continue with this experiment as there appears to be some useful mileage in it.

Hi Phil - I did have a look at your profile but it seems to be limited as to who can see it so sorry if I'm going off on a bit of a tangent - but I just wanted to say well done on finishing your radiotherapy. I was diagnosed with cancer myself 5 years ago and was subject to the poison / slash / burn trifecta of treatments and can totally sympathise with what you are saying about side effects and lack of energy. It is hard. I hope it has the desired effect and the side effects don't treat you too badly xx

Onto the photo's - I love the last one and totally agree with the others that the second half are definitely an improvement on the first. If it was a gusty day then I think you have done a great job on the focusing. Good luck with the Raynox. I have the 150 and 250 - they took a bit of getting used to but you can get some great results.

Back