Critique A miserable day in the Lakes

That looks a foul day - certainly they capture everything that is horrid and grim about this time of year. The last two are the best but I prefer the perspective with the camera higher off the ground to open up more of the view.

Critique would be very appreciated no matter how harsh. Im not sure if ive done a bad job or just the weather doesn't do them any justice...

Last edited:
It was a miserable day but the sunset was good out here on the coast but I had no time as I was Night shift. Some of my opinions

The boat house is falling out of the edge of the frame and what is on teh left is not worth that.
The second is not great as do not like the water conditions much and would avoided so much water and the tree at the right try cropping just below trhe rock and losing the tree and then have a bash at mono
Whats the subject?
As Steve says a higher viewpoint would help as in this https://flic.kr/p/RPGmkJ
The longer shutter speed on last produces a better effect on the water

1) Looks a little underexposed and dull, horizon isn't perfectly level IMO
2) Nice shot, might just crop a little off the bottom
3) Nice shot but I would suggest a closer crop to the waterfall and perhaps reduce the saturation slightly
4 and 5) Nice compositions but WB is well off in both in my opinion.

With the boathouse shot, I had to close crop the RH side due to a big white BMW on the drive. Inconsiderate so and so's.
All valid points and will re-edit to improve if possible.

For me

1. Is what it is, but I would say that it seems composed a little too far to the right so it for me, too tight on the boathouse. Possibly the blue hour might have worked? This would work however if the weather was kinder.
2. For me lacks a focal point and the tree branches on the right are a bit distracting.
3. If this is cropped as a panoramic to the top of the waterfall, this is the shot for me as the buildings in the background at the top are a distraction.
4 and 5. Would look better composed a little higher up so the posts are separated from the background. The colour also seems off to me for some reason or it is a white balance issue as mentioned above?

All in all they are a good record of a day out and it seems that the weather was the main issue.

Edit - you posted the BMW comment as I was typing my reply - can it be cloned out?

The weather - days like that just aren't for taking pictures - IMHO.

+1. When its miserable its best to put the time to some other use like dining or visiting a theatre.

+1. When its miserable its best to put the time to some other use like dining or visiting a theatre.

Or editing. Grey dark days are great for editing. My big project is reorganising my photo library, backing up and reprocessing images I think I can get better. There’s no real opportunity for landscapes until summer - unless we get an alpine style winter so I’m committing a lot of time to sorting this out.

With the edit consider cloning out or cropping the grass far left and the ones on the right edge

Or editing. Grey dark days are great for editing. My big project is reorganising my photo library, backing up and reprocessing images I think I can get better. There’s no real opportunity for landscapes until summer - unless we get an alpine style winter so I’m committing a lot of time to sorting this out.

I might get a week in Tenerife in soon - that is about the only decent landscape destination I could think of for this time

I might get a week in Tenerife in soon - that is about the only decent landscape destination I could think of for this time

Looks great, all these little Islands in the Atlantic look awesome - geologically and visually like Iceland, except without the Ice, drones of tourists taking pictures and better weather.

Why not try the Azores? I would but I do not fly - that's not an issue for you as you are prepared to fly.

The waterfall one is also much better with the miserable sky completely cropped out.

The waterfall one is also much better with the miserable sky completely cropped out.

Well it is said that composition is as much about what you exclude as you include

I like the first one. The lights on in the boathouse add some nice interest. As others have said I would like the house fully in the frame rather than cropped off the edge. I think the white balance is putting me off the last two. Is it a colour cast from the a 10 stop filter?

I was really looking forward to getting out in the lakes over the christmas and new year and really putting some effort in with the camera. It was grey, flat, wet and mild every day aprt from the last day off work. One day was so warm I hiked up past Haweswater in a T-Shirt. The fog completely blocked any views though. The trees at the moment especially are dark, brown and grim.

Cant wait until either some nice clear icy weather, or spring when the colour returns.

Back