A misty morning at Rydal.

Edit My Images
Yes
this is my first Autumn as a landscape photographer and i yesterday i headed to the Lakes to see how much color was about. i first shot Blea Tarn the light was pretty flat but the tree line to the left was offering some nice colours..
i stayed over at Baysbrown campsite and decided to head to Rydal at 6am to see if there was any mist about, there was so i stuck it out for a few hours a grabbed a few shots.

Blea tarn-0247 by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr
tress LR- by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

nabscar-0265 by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

Rydal Boat house by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

rydal BH trees by Danny Kenealy, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nice renditions of a great set of sceneries… but
did you want the washed out look of the fifth?

holding onto something thats not there maybe?

Did you start with DRL or is this rendition
the result of your artistic intent, Danny?

no its pretty much straight out the camera

I thought so.
As you did a darn good job with the others,
I would very much like to see what you can

do with that one! :cool:

feel free

These tweaks were applied to you jpg
but you could do better with the RAW…

rydal%20BH%20treesp.jpg

These tweaks were applied to you jpg
but you could do better with the RAW…

Ugh Daniel - where did you get that one from? :( Look at the image before - bright yellow green autumn colours and mist through the trees. The last one looks like it was taken from further away so the effect of the mist would be to soften the trees on the far bank where the boathouse is. For me the closer trees either side and their reflections just need to 'pop' a bit more, just to make them stand out a bit more from the background, and it's a winner.

36926769483_dd5ffa2a01_c edit
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

Danny, all I've done here is a very quick curves adjustment into a gentle 'S' to drop the shadows and midtones slightly, maintain lightness in the highlights and introduce a bit of contrast. That made it go a bit blue (though not purple like Daniel's) so I just corrected the white balance slightly to bring back the warm tones. You could do much better with the original, especially your image is in a different colour space to my software so I don't think the colours have come out quite right here.

Ugh Daniel - where did you get that one from? :(

Sometimes, the best way to reach a happy medium
is to go far enough in other directions. :cool:

Nice work Danny dont mess with the last shot too much.

I nice set, but I'm also with the last shot and Jannyfoxs Edit. It have pulled so much more out of the shot, just goes to show what can be done, and with the RAW file you could really do the business with it(y)

Some nice images Danny, and well done on making the effort - I love autumn, fingers crossed should hit the Lakes before flying to Scotland at the end of the month.

thanks chaps. The last one I'm going to have a look at again this weekend and I'll post once finished. Looking at it again now ot does look faded bit i think all i done was crop a little of the bottom.
it was my first time there,apparently there's a single tree there somewhere i didn't walk much around the lake due to my bad back does anyone know how far round the lake it is?

thanks chaps. The last one I'm going to have a look at again this weekend and I'll post once finished. Looking at it again now ot does look faded bit i think all i done was crop a little of the bottom.
it was my first time there,apparently there's a single tree there somewhere i didn't walk much around the lake due to my bad back does anyone know how far round the lake it is?

The little tree is the same side as the road that runs between Rydal and Grasmere. You can see it from the road you just have to nip over a wall, or through a gate - it's two years since I went to that spot and my memory has faded!

As for the shots you've posted, 1 and 2 for me - very nicely done but just watch the edge of the frame in 1 - there's a small rock/stone near the bottom left jutting out of the shot that distracts - either remove it or crop, small details can make a big difference

Back