Lab-Box: A new type of Rondinax

Did the 54 daylight tank ever arrive?
Arrived and used, very successful Kickstarter project. Perfect for when I have just a few sheets to process and don't want to use a litre of chemicals in the Doran tank.

Arrived and used, very successful Kickstarter project. Perfect for when I have just a few sheets to process and don't want to use a litre of chemicals in the Doran tank.

I'm reconsidering my options for 54, the Jobo is just bugging me.

This looks interesting to me as I would love to be able to develop my own film but have no where for a darkroom quite tempted to have a punt on it.

This looks interesting to me as I would love to be able to develop my own film but have no where for a darkroom quite tempted to have a punt on it.
You only need a darkroom if you're printing your photos the traditional way, you can develop with a daylight tank and a changing bag then scan the negatives. That's the workflow for a lot of us who don't have darkrooms.

You only need a darkroom if you're printing your photos the traditional way, you can develop with a daylight tank and a changing bag then scan the negatives. That's the workflow for a lot of us who don't have darkrooms.

Thanks Dean yes the develop and scan route is what I was looking at doing in will have a look at daylight tanks and changing bags thanks

Given that this is fully backed, am I right to assume that these will be on general sale to non-backers (albeit likely at a higher price) when they're ready?
That's what normally happens, once they've fulfilled their commitment to the original backers they'll offer the next batch up to the general public I would have thought.

I've been really impressed with their stretch goals, the stuff they've added makes a lot of sense from a usability point of view. I just it lives up to all the promise.

I've been really impressed with their stretch goals, the stuff they've added makes a lot of sense from a usability point of view. I just it lives up to all the promise.

Have you ordered one? Still thinking... I already have the Rondinax 35 (though it's showing its age), and shoot very little 120 at the moment...

Have you ordered one? Still thinking... I already have the Rondinax 35 (though it's showing its age), and shoot very little 120 at the moment...
I've ordered one with the 35mm and 120 format options. I'm really glad they've surpassed their funding goal it should make the final product even better.

Beware of stretch goals. They're adding design complexity that they haven't planned for, and are adding unit costs without a unit price increase. They're basically increasing the chance of project failure.

eg http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/13/46...raisers-to-tread-carefully-with-stretch-goals

I do understand the worry involved in stretch goals but so far theirs have included different colours, additional crank, additional reel, washing funnel and a built in thermometer.
Only the built in thermometer really requires any real change to the original design with all the others being little more than add-ons rather than making the design more complex and bearing in mind that these are being offered after
their original target has been reached nearly 81/2 times over with 7 days still to go.

In comparison to other Kickstarter campaigns I've backed this seems the most professional so far.

These things always carry an element of risk but to my mind this appears to be the least risky I've been involved in so I'm not too worried, yet :D

nd bearing in mind that these are being offered after
their original target has been reached nearly 81/2 times over with 7 days still to go.

Yeah, but this is the problem. A lot of projects treat this as "extra" money, but it's not. Don't get me wrong, they may have costed it out properly, but those add-ons come at a price, and I'd rather a project stuck to their plans than got carried away with what they mistakenly see as an increased budget.

Yeah, but this is the problem. A lot of projects treat this as "extra" money, but it's not. Don't get me wrong, they may have costed it out properly, but those add-ons come at a price, and I'd rather a project stuck to their plans than got carried away with what they mistakenly see as an increased budget.
Agreed, but surely this is economies of scale? With the increased funding and guaranteed sales it gives them greater wiggle room and those benefits are being passed onto the backers.

Last edited:
If it came with a free cat, like the rather splendid-looking one in the photo on the link above, I think I'd be more interested! Watch that appear as one of their bundle options now! :LOL:

Last edited:
Last hour or so... thermometer now included!

Did these ever materialise? I never see anyone on here mentioning them these days.

I see that the Kickstarter was asking for 70,000 euros and they got 656,903 euros...

Last edited:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ulti-format-daylight-loading-fi/posts/2359979

"Now to the time schedules: As we previously wrote, we are committed to dispatching the first batches by the end of the year. We still cannot pin down any date, but we can confirm that couriers are scheduled to pick up the first batches between the end of December 2018 and the end of January 2019.

Yes, I did think that was an odd paragraph! Definitely don't hold your breath, Nick, but it certainly looks like they've been working away at it!

I found the shipping notice for my Lab-box tucked away in the Spam folder! Worth checking yours if you're expecting one. Or else, just wait (unless you've moved!) Dated 12 July: "Your order will be dispatched in the next few days. The delivery will go to the following address:"

Woo-hoo!

Of course, we've not been there to receive it, so probably a trip to the delivery office!

Mines arrived but I haven’t had the chance to even open the box yet. I think I’m going to order some fresh chems so I’m starting the lab box journey from a scratched playing field.

"scratched"? Is this auto-correct again?

"scratched"? Is this auto-correct again?
No just me typing on a phone, started off putting "starting from scratch" and changed it to "level playing field" and it all got a little confused.

Well, I suppose it's better than a scratched negative! Anyway, happy developing you lot. :)

I had in mind to do one... though we're back home now and no sign of it yet. @RaglanSurf what postal method did they use?

I had in mind to do one... though we're back home now and no sign of it yet. @RaglanSurf what postal method did they use?
It had to collect from the local post office so I think it was Parcel Force at this end, I’ll have a look when I get home and let you have as much info as I can.

Mine has apparently just been despatched at 16:43 Italian time today, via GLS Italy, whoever they might be!

I’ve been using Rondinax tanks for twenty plus years. It’s great to see that someone has gone to the trouble of bringing out a 21st century version and I’m looking forward to reading a few reviews. The original 35mm version, only requires 200ml of developer so you have to keep rotating the spiral in order to obtain even development of the whole film.

I have also used the Minox subminiature daylight loading tank, where you agitate the developer by moving the thermometer up and down.

Back