A night hike up Otsamo Fell

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
A couple of shots from a 20km night hike up Otsamo Fell near Inari to watch moonrise and hopefully catch some aurora.
The old fire wardens hut is now converted to a day hut, with a ready supply of firewood, and a wood burner, to keep a fire going. I spent about 2 hours waiting up there before the moon rose, and the fire was the perfect antidote to the -30degree temperatures outside.

Otsamo Wardens Hut Aurora by Matty, on Flickr

Sanctuary by Matty, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fab. Obviously you come across many Aurora images but these really do stand out !

Gaz

Loving the first one. The aurora sweeping toward the house looks ace

Two more great shots, Matty. Although photos of sweeping curtains of aurora filling the sky are superb, your first shot is a good illustration of less is more - it is excellent.

Dave

Very nice Matt

First one hand down. The aurora had a lot of dynamism to an already dynamic composition. A really stunning picture, nicely processed too! So many picture of northern light are overexposed and over saturated and splodgy, yours looks stunning.

I don't like the 2nd anywhere near as much, it's very head on straight, the eye don't travel much in it and the low clouds on the horizons don't do much for it. On the good side you've controlled the exposure extremely well.

Excellent, best I've seen in a while (y)

Yes Matty! Awesome shots dude. PP on point as always!
Fab. Obviously you come across many Aurora images but these really do stand out !

Gaz
Great shots! Loving the first one.
Awesome pictures, really like the 2nd one.
Beautiful photos, love the 1st one ,really clear aurora
absolutely fab, stunning.
Loving the first one. The aurora sweeping toward the house looks ace
Two more great shots, Matty. Although photos of sweeping curtains of aurora filling the sky are superb, your first shot is a good illustration of less is more - it is excellent.

Dave
Both stunning shots but that Aurora one is just perfect!!
Very nice Matt
Love the first image Matty :clap:(y)
First one hand down. The aurora had a lot of dynamism to an already dynamic composition. A really stunning picture, nicely processed too! So many picture of northern light are overexposed and over saturated and splodgy, yours looks stunning.

I don't like the 2nd anywhere near as much, it's very head on straight, the eye don't travel much in it and the low clouds on the horizons don't do much for it. On the good side you've controlled the exposure extremely well.
Stunning shots
I love the first one, I just want to keep looking at it.
Excellent, best I've seen in a while (y)

Thanks very much folks. It was a grand day out, and despite the moon, there was some lovely strong aurora to be seen. Appreciate all your comments!

Dedication, right there. Awesome work, number 1 is epic.

Back