A pair of courting red kites.

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
I've occasionally seen individual kites up in the tree tops, but never a courting pair, to say I'm thrilled to bits is an understatement.
A difficult shot as there was only a small window through all the branches/twigs etc, and I had to spend a long time cloning out the blurry/out of focus branches around the kites.

It's not often I wish I had something with a touch more reach than 300mm +1.4TC, but this was one occasion, it's quite a significant crop.

Canon 7D2, 300F2.8L+1.4TC
1/1600 sec @f7.1 ISO400
7D2_0048s.jpg

Larger image: http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/redkites/7D2_0048.jpg

Lovely image Les and about the only time I have seen more than one Red Kite in close proximity is at a feeding station :)

Lots of lovely well-exposed detail, Les (y)
- especially as you say it is a large crop! Let's hope their courtship brings results ;)

Russ
I hope so Russ, around 10 years ago, 90 or so Kites were brought from Wales and released on the Harewood Estates in Yorkshire, last time I was chatting to one of the Estate's keepers, he said at the last count, there was over a 1000 birds, which is a resounding success in anyone's book.

I hope so Russ, around 10 years ago, 90 or so Kites were brought from Wales and released on the Harewood Estates in Yorkshire, last time I was chatting to one of the Estate's keepers, he said at the last count, there was over a 1000 birds, which is a resounding success in anyone's book.
And they are spreading, which is good, not everyone agrees, which is bad.

Cracking shot.

Back