A pre-dawn hike that paid off!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
A pre-dawn hike in the dark yesterday morning was supposed to reap some spectacular sunrise shots over pristine snow. Sadly, low cloud put paid to the sunrise but being first up on the Quantock Hills gave me an hour ot two of complete solitude and some perfect, virgin snow! The first shot was actually taken in near total darkness!

1DSC_4045 by Mike Stuckey, on Flickr

1DSC_4060 by Mike Stuckey, on Flickr

1DSC_4073 by Mike Stuckey, on Flickr

1DSC_4110 by Mike Stuckey, on Flickr

1DSC_4131 by Mike Stuckey, on Flickr

1DSC_4158 by Mike Stuckey, on Flickr

Last edited:
I keep telling people, embrace the gray. Use the soft light instead of fighting it. The key is to find the shadows. Even on the dullest of days, shadows make images pop.

Nicely done images.

@fuzzyfelt30

I was told to move away from a spot on the Quantock hills on the same Sunday around 8am ( Police) just by the cattle grid- where your 1st image was shot

They informed me it's not classed as exercise - when I drove from just outside Taunton up through Crowcombe to photograph the hills- gotta love the 4wd

If I did not leave immediately I would face a fine - Obviously I left - just be aware if you are planning another visit

Last edited by a moderator:
@fuzzyfelt30

This is the shot I wanted to get (with virgin snow of course) I have a new lens I though would be ideal- shame I never got to try it :)

Ps Now following you on Flickr Mike

x9QyYsk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@fuzzyfelt30

I was told to move away from a spot on the Quantock hills on the same Sunday around 8am ( Police) just by the cattle grid- where your 1st image was shot

They informed me it's not classed as exercise - when I drove from just outside Taunton up through Crowcombe to photograph the hills- gotta love the 4wd

If I did not leave immediately I would face a fine - Obviously I left - just be aware if you are planning another visit

Thanks for letting me know. I think they probably expected a lot of people up there on Sunday with the snow and possibly loads of them getting stuck. I go up 3 or 4 times a week and have never seen any police in this lockdown so I think you got unlucky!

I am working on a long-term project (that may or may not come to fruition), so I think it can reasonably be classed as work as it is pretty difficult to take photos of the hills throughout the year from home! :) The first images were just along from Triscombe Stone.

When I left late morning, the hills were like Disneyland with dozens of people near Triscombe Stone car park sledging and walking, so police efforts didn't seem to put many people off! This year the hills in general have been the busiest I've seen them during winter, almost like in the height of summer...I guess people don't have much else to do at the moment!

@fuzzyfelt30

This is the shot I wanted to get (with virgin snow of course) I have a new lens I though would be ideal- shame I never got to try it :)

Ps Now following you on Flickr Mike

x9QyYsk.jpg

Nice! I know that gate very well...you must park in 'my spot' just on the left, immediately after the cattle grid as you come up from Crowcombe! :)

I did see something on local news - I wasn't intending to go sledging :) just wanted to field test my new 24mm f1.4 ART lens

The Police did quote the " Stay at Home " line from Boris's lot apparently lugging around a camera with a lens a rucksack with 3 other lenses and a flask is NOT exercise- I asked the Policeman to try walking through snow carrying all the gear I had with me - did not go down well :)

Maybe next spring :) Oh and good luck with your project- I am normally photographing wildlife / Birds and got turned away last week by a police woman, from the Steart Marshes area

Les

Yes that the spot :) I'm surprised we have not met to be honest a good spot for woodpeckers along the track leading away from the gate

like these I got in Spring
Lovely! I do hear them banging away up there! Next time I do, should I keep an eye out for a suspicious looking 'bush' sitting behind a tripod?? :)

Some cracking shots Mike. 4131 is lovely.
I keep telling people, embrace the gray. Use the soft light instead of fighting it. The key is to find the shadows. Even on the dullest of days, shadows make images pop.

Nicely done images.
Really like 4131. Definitely worth getting up early for!
Has to be the last one. Its just what a landscape image should be in my view.
Nice images :) Nice to be local. It was pretty dark when we started out on Sunday!
I like the pre-dawn shots best. Totally otherworldly.
really lovely set Mike

Thanks for the lovely comments...they're always much appreciated! :)

This photography / exercise / working has got me all in a quandary (not always good on a Tues afternoon :D)

As a self-employed person who makes money from my photography (ok, I'm a freelance rugby coach the majority of time, office worker in and around that, and sell images via Alamy and prints/workshops off my website at other times), I could legitimately claim to be at work if caught out and about with the camera kit. Not sure it's worth risking a fine though from a non-believing policeman...

This photography / exercise / working has got me all in a quandary (not always good on a Tues afternoon :D)

As a self-employed person who makes money from my photography (ok, I'm a freelance rugby coach the majority of time, office worker in and around that, and sell images via Alamy and prints/workshops off my website at other times), I could legitimately claim to be at work if caught out and about with the camera kit. Not sure it's worth risking a fine though from a non-believing policeman...

I feel your quandary! However, if I didn't get any quality winter shots last Sunday, who knows when the next opportunity would arrive, so I was happy to take my chances. With our weather it could be several years...or it could be next weekend (fingers crossed)!

I feel your quandary! However, if I didn't get any quality winter shots last Sunday, who knows when the next opportunity would arrive, so I was happy to take my chances. With our weather it could be several years...or it could be next weekend (fingers crossed)!
I think that's my biggest quandary (word of the day) - we didn't get any snow, but if we do it could be ages before we see any more
(fingers also crossed)...

Times like this I feel like packing up and going home. :D Great shots.

They're great shots and it's 1 & 3 for me because it's the heavy snowfall that you wanted to capture and have done so. I even felt I was there :)

Last edited:
It reminds me the beauty of winter.
Cracking set
Times like this I feel like packing up and going home. :D Great shots.
There're great shots and it's 1 & 3 for me because it's the heavy snowfall that you wanted to capture and have done so. I even felt I was there :)
Stunning set well worth the early start !
Wow, thanks very much for the continued lovely comments. Once again, they are all much appreciated! :)

A cracking set, 2+3 for me but any of them could hang on a wall.

Back